Sign in to follow this  
Dhel

Few spoken languages foreigner take offence with

Jess Bartone

Sometimes i feel like a circus freak lol

Part of my father's work with The Knights of the Southern Cross in the 50's and 60's was assisting and welcoming European refugees and immigrants in the aftermath of WW2. These people felt like freaks too, in a country that previously had the "white Australia policy" (olive-skinned Italians and Greeks were not considered "white" at the time), but after a little kindness from the Knights and the passage of 5 or 6 decades, these people are now nursing grandchildren and great grand children, and are valued members of society.

It's not easy being "the odd man out", but I think with time you will find your comfort zone, just remember you have not crossed a couple of states but a vast ocean and an invisible cultural barrier.

He replied " oh, I see " - which i took to be a sarcastic response from him

Sarcasm seems to be lost on Filipinos, whereas we in the west have developed it to an art form.

broden

Nah. I'm gonna see how long he waits before he posts it himself.

President-Waiting.jpg

Dhel

President-Waiting.jpg

Oh my...Mailman..his Majesty Broden has a lot of patience to wait....hmmm...now, who among the two of you will really give in first?

ArieBombarie

going back onto the first question, it all depends a bit on your experience if you take offense

on my first visit about 17 years back, plenty of things clashed with my own cultural values, I guess I went in the deep straight away since I was traveling with somebody who visited home. Nice welcome, you have been abroad for years and they line up if santa has arrived and brought their wish lists as well, throw you a party on your cost (if possible every day), sort out your accommodation yourself, no true interest in somebodies welfare, hardly an emotion outspoken until alcohol did its ugly work, I thought I had arrived on the barbarian coast. Within the first two days I had been introduced to a well over a hundred extended relatives, most she did not even know (she had not been to the province since a kid) lucky just half the vilage where relatives it kept the other half with no reason to go watch the white monkey she brought home. Thank god she was so pissed off and embarrased herself that we were at least in the shit together and we took a hike to Mindoro to get it out of our system.

things have been going a lot better since

deanfarmer62

going back onto the first question, it all depends a bit on your experience if you take offense

on my first visit about 17 years back, plenty of things clashed with my own cultural values, I guess I went in the deep straight away since I was traveling with somebody who visited home. Nice welcome, you have been abroad for years and they line up if santa has arrived and brought their wish lists as well, throw you a party on your cost (if possible every day), sort out your accommodation yourself, no true interest in somebodies welfare, hardly an emotion outspoken until alcohol did its ugly work, I thought I had arrived on the barbarian coast. Within the first two days I had been introduced to a well over a hundred extended relatives, most she did not even know (she had not been to the province since a kid) lucky just half the vilage where relatives it kept the other half with no reason to go watch the white monkey she brought home. Thank god she was so pissed off and embarrased herself that we were at least in the shit together and we took a hike to Mindoro to get it out of our system.

things have been going a lot better since

I first came over here during the Marcos Regime, came back during Aquino (first), back again during Ramos (Mt. Pinatoubo) back again during Arroyo and will be back soon for Aquino (second). During these many years i have not seen the general attitude of people change at all. There are alot of good people who will share whatever they have with you even if it is just a little and alot of punks.

ArieBombarie

I first came over here during the Marcos Regime, came back during Aquino (first), back again during Ramos (Mt. Pinatoubo) back again during Arroyo and will be back soon for Aquino (second). During these many years i have not seen the general attitude of people change at all. There are alot of good people who will share whatever they have with you even if it is just a little and alot of punks.

well I meant I cope better with the situation and are more aware of the culture and habits so that is why things have improved

Mark L

I used to and sometimes still get annoyed with the nosy small talk questions bordering on personal financial questions like: "How much is your rent?" " How much do you make?" "How much is your pension..you are retired right?" Its like I can see their wheels turning... I finally learned a technique which gets me out of having to answer personal questions or evading them. I begin asking them personal and or financial questions right back. Its amazing how fast the personal intrusions end.

look I know its cultural for Pinoys to be inquisitive about those sort of things and I don't get offended..however it can still be a bit annoying.

When I get many of these same personal questions, it works well to just smile and say "secret". Quite often I get the "How much is your rent?" and I love to respond with "Why?...Would you like to pay it for me?" That usually ends all questions about money.