Few spoken languages foreigner take offence with

lazydays

I always say "I don't know" or "maybe".

Dhel

i'm waiting for Mailman to post "gimimani"

so..did mailman show up ?

Mailman

so..did mailman show up ?

Nah. I'm gonna see how long he waits before he posts it himself.

Dhel

Nah. I'm gonna see how long he waits before he posts it himself.

Oh here yah go...Mailman is here dance.gif

Awesome Color

"Maybe few of you guys can contribute in here few words / actions that may had been said/done by the locals here in the Philippines that may had made you feel bad be it consciously or unconsciously said / done."

I can't say that I've ever been made feel "bad" by something that was said to me... But, I have of course been made to feel annoyed and/or slightly pissed off...

The "worst" incident was outside the mall in Tagbilaran city... It wasn't something said directly to me, but my wife... A tricycle driver said (in Visayas) "hey, I saw him here last week with another girl!"... That of course wasn't true - I don't live near the city, and I'm home with my wife every day and night anyway... So, basically, I don't like trying to get cock-blocked (especially when it's my wife!) by random trike drivers... Still, not a big deal!

I also don't like being invited to eat at my own house... When we have relatives/guests over I know they are just trying to be polite by inviting me to sit with them and eat, but I don't know, it annoys me (i.e. "I paid for the food you're eating, it's my place, I should be the one inviting you to eat not the other way around... This is besides the point, but you really don't need a full-on chicken dinner at 2 o'clock in the afternoon anyway, but what's the use of trying to emphasize this point..."). Still, again, not really a big deal!

:scratch_head:

deanfarmer62

"Maybe few of you guys can contribute in here few words / actions that may had been said/done by the locals here in the Philippines that may had made you feel bad be it consciously or unconsciously said / done."

I can't say that I've ever been made feel "bad" by something that was said to me... But, I have of course been made to feel annoyed and/or slightly pissed off...

The "worst" incident was outside the mall in Tagbilaran city... It wasn't something said directly to me, but my wife... A tricycle driver said (in Visayas) "hey, I saw him here last week with another girl!"... That of course wasn't true - I don't live near the city, and I'm home with my wife every day and night anyway... So, basically, I don't like trying to get cock-blocked (especially when it's my wife!) by random trike drivers... Still, not a big deal!

I also don't like being invited to eat at my own house... When we have relatives/guests over I know they are just trying to be polite by inviting me to sit with them and eat, but I don't know, it annoys me (i.e. "I paid for the food you're eating, it's my place, I should be the one inviting you to eat not the other way around... This is besides the point, but you really don't need a full-on chicken dinner at 2 o'clock in the afternoon anyway, but what's the use of trying to emphasize this point..."). Still, again, not really a big deal!

HA HA HA Classic. Maybe you should say something bizzare like "No Thanks I just had a bar of soap". Then they will think your crazy and not ask you anymore.

udonthani

the 'shut up' and 'saba' thing is I think because so many of them grew up in large families. When you're one of 8 children in 14 years, you're always going to be telling your siblings to shut the feck up and try to get some attention from your parents. It carries on into the vernacular.

Dhel

the 'shut up' and 'saba' thing is I think because so many of them grew up in large families. When you're one of 8 children in 14 years, you're always going to be telling your siblings to shut the feck up and try to get some attention from your parents. It carries on into the vernacular.

there's a new word on circulation here in Leyte when you want someone to shut up...tell them " Istoryahe!" ( tell me about it!) .. saba doesn't work well anymore unless you say it with matching evil eye :scratch_head:

deanfarmer62

there's a new word on circulation here in Leyte when you want someone to shut up...tell them " Istoryahe!" ( tell me about it!) .. saba doesn't work well anymore unless you say it with matching evil eye

There is also the SIgn Language way to tell someone to shut up. It also works to let them know they are "Number One"

lazydays

Regarding your wife/gf telling you to "Shut up", unless its said jokingly, i would find it disrespectful and/or she is trying to assert her authority over you.

Thankfully, my wife has never ever said it me, if she ever did,i would be mad as hell, and give her a mouthful of verbal.

If i get on her nerves or annoy her, she says "Your giving me a headache", Lol.

As for derogatory remarks, by far the worst, which was aimed at my wife, being called a prostitute coz she was with a foreigner, thats happened 3 times.

Usually muttered in bisaya by someone passing by, my wife never told me until later, probably coz she thought i might rip their head off if she told me there and then.

I don't really understand it, as she dresses modestly, never provocatively.

deanfarmer62

Regarding your wife/gf telling you to "Shut up", unless its said jokingly, i would find it disrespectful and/or she is trying to assert her authority over you.

Thankfully, my wife has never ever said it me, if she ever did,i would be mad as hell, and give her a mouthful of verbal.

If i get on her nerves or annoy her, she says "Your giving me a headache", Lol.

As for derogatory remarks, by far the worst, which was aimed at my wife, being called a prostitute coz she was with a foreigner, thats happened 3 times.

Usually muttered in bisaya by someone passing by, my wife never told me until later, probably coz she thought i might rip their head off if she told me there and then.

I don't really understand it, as she dresses modestly, never provocatively.

I told her that too. I said it was disrespectfull......She said "DEAAANNNNNN.......your number one ! and then was giving me sign language

Dhel

I told her that too. I said it was disrespectfull......She said "DEAAANNNNNN.......your number one ! and then was giving me sign language

Yaickkk...your nose is growing eyyy....stick_poke.gif

deanfarmer62

Yaickkk...your nose is growing eyyy....

that is not my nose.

Dhel

that is not my nose.

survivor.gif.... you are making me say it here I know .. but as I started joining this forum, I have learned to keep my soul at peace with the universe ... as-if.gif

lazydays

Well what my wife says behind my back i wouldn't know, it might be shut up for all i know, :P