Few spoken languages foreigner take offence with

A local pinoy owes me some money. Recently he got flooded out and i sent him a text to see if he was ok. He text back not to worry he would pay me 1000 pesos a month. I replied that I didnt text him coz he owed me money but because i was concerned about him. He replied " oh, I see " - which i took to be a sarcastic response from him to my saying i wasnt calling because he owed me money. My wife told me that when a pinoy says " oh I see" it is NOT said in a sarcastic way [ as we sometimes use it ] and that he had meant no offence.

When did you get married?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dhel

• deanfarmer62

• lazydays

• Davaoeno

Davaoeno

When did you get married?

Every time that my gf reminds me that I am !!! :stick_poke:

I know you have been around filipinas long enough to know what I mean !!! :rofl:

deanfarmer62

I seem to hear "SHUT UP" alot. It is either offensive or maybe I just talk to much.

I seem to hear "SHUT UP" alot. It is either offensive or maybe I just talk to much.

She is just a happy gal telling you to SHUT UP :stick_poke: with all smiles on her face...and if you don't hear it, you wonder if your in trouble...hehheheh.

Davaoeno

She is just a happy gal telling you to SHUT UP :stick_poke: with all smiles on her face...and if you don't hear it, you wonder if your in trouble...hehheheh.

And we wonder why we cant figure out what the hell is going on in our relationship !!!! lol

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm waiting for Mailman to post "gimimani"

And we wonder why we cant figure out what the hell is going on in our relationship !!!! lol

No comment on that LMAO :stick_poke:

KennyF

I have always found "shut up" from a family member, or even a friend, to be a bit nasty and not the sort of thing you say to a loved one.

KonGC

Davaoeno

I have always found "shut up" from a family member, or even a friend, to be a bit nasty and not the sort of thing you say to a loved one.

KonGC

Its all in the tone- and the facial expression. Even better is " why dont you shut da fug up !! " :rolleyes:

udonthani

don't say shut up, say saba, nine times out of ten it isn't an insult at all. It's one of those expressions that sounds better in Bisaya than it does in English.

deanfarmer62

No comment on that LMAO

yeah.......ZIP IT! (thats how we say it here) or the SHHHHHHHHH

Its all in the tone- and the facial expression. Even better is " why dont you shut da fug up !! "

LMAO....TRUE tho...it's all in the tone and facial expression...my fiance always tries to make me say shut up in ordinary days we normally joke around...this is his way of knowing too if there's a problem :D - in other words..aside from I love you and telling him how gwapo and macho he is my eyes..he loves it when I say shut up!!!

samatm

I used to and sometimes still get annoyed with the nosy small talk questions bordering on personal financial questions like: "How much is your rent?" " How much do you make?" "How much is your pension..you are retired right?" Its like I can see their wheels turning... I finally learned a technique which gets me out of having to answer personal questions or evading them. I begin asking them personal and or financial questions right back. Its amazing how fast the personal intrusions end.

look I know its cultural for Pinoys to be inquisitive about those sort of things and I don't get offended..however it can still be a bit annoying.

Edited by samatm
tom_shor

I rarely get the "Hey Joe" thing in Davao City, but when we visit the rural provinces its pretty constant.

They always look confused when I ask them how they knew my name was Joe. :unsure:

Topper

I used to and sometimes still get annoyed with the nosy small talk questions bordering on personal financial questions like: "How much is your rent?" " How much do you make?" "How much is your pension..you are retired right?" Its like I can see their wheels turning... I finally learned a technique which gets me out of having to answer personal questions or evading them. I begin asking them personal and or financial questions right back. Its amazing how fast the personal intrusions end.

look I know its cultural for Pinoys to be inquisitive about those sort of things and I don't get offended..however it can still be a bit annoying.

How true. They ask me the same questions and I always felt it was really none of their business. Now I just say...I'd rather not talk about it. Seems to work.