Few spoken languages foreigner take offence with

Maybe few of you guys can contribute in here few words / actions that may had been said/done by the locals here in the Philippines that may had made you feel bad be it consciously or unconsciously said / done.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dhel

• deanfarmer62

• lazydays

• Davaoeno

USMC-Retired

Filipinos in general are very understanding and patient. The worse thing you can do is lose your cool. Raising your voice or screaming and yelling. Other then that you will be good. Most times they will just smile.

Also never ask for a Napkin.

deanfarmer62

For me it is not so much things said as a particular word or sentence but more on what is said under the breath and being stared at. Sometimes i feel like a circus freak lol

lazydays

Filipinos in general are very understanding and patient. The worse thing you can do is lose your cool. Raising your voice or screaming and yelling. Other then that you will be good. Most times they will just smile.

Napkin :welcome2::rofl:

Edited by lazydays
lazydays

For me it is not so much things said as a particular word or sentence but more on what is said under the breath and being stared at. Sometimes i feel like a circus freak lol

You get used to that, especially in the Provincial Boondocks.

wingandprayer

Isn't the smile just a sign that they don't understand?

Agreed that losing your cool, yelling and getting belligerent doesn't get one anywhere. Not here. Not anywhere.

deanfarmer62

You get used to that, especially in the Provincial Boondocks.

I am 6.1 and 225 lbs and very white. Even when i walk downtown I pretty much stand out. ha ha ha

Napkin??? Why is that?

USMC-Retired

Napkin??? Why is that?

Now that's funny. It is a Tissue here. Napkin is for females and that time of month.

Now that's funny. It is a Tissue here. Napkin is for females and that time of month.

For a moment my brain got stocked....but that was way too FUNNY!!!

Davaoeno

A local pinoy owes me some money. Recently he got flooded out and i sent him a text to see if he was ok. He text back not to worry he would pay me 1000 pesos a month. I replied that I didnt text him coz he owed me money but because i was concerned about him. He replied " oh, I see " - which i took to be a sarcastic response from him to my saying i wasnt calling because he owed me money. My wife told me that when a pinoy says " oh I see" it is NOT said in a sarcastic way [ as we sometimes use it ] and that he had meant no offence.

Stranded Shipscook

nothing i can remember...

maybe the "Hey Joe" thing... in the beginning. Now i just don't hear it anymore. Its still there, but i don't hear it.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

not that it offends but i find the use of "in a while" to be confusing to most westerners

lazydays

nothing i can remember...

maybe the "Hey Joe" thing... in the beginning. Now i just don't hear it anymore. Its still there, but i don't hear it.

I rarely get the "Hey Joe" thing in Davao City, but when we visit the rural provinces its pretty constant.

Easyrider

I don't mind being called Joe because I'm an American and I know the term is from WWII, but I can see why Guenther doesn't like it, he's German.

Gossiping is considered wrong in some places in the world but in the Philippines it seem to be accepted as normal and therefore nothing is wrong with it. If you don't know someone's personal business just make up your own story is how a lot of Filipinos do it.