Washing Machine

Lordblacknail

Mandingo

The problem is that a lot of the washers/dyers in the Philippines are cheap junk and it's difficult and expensive to get good laundry detergent, especially in the provence. I bought my wife a Panasonic washing machine when she was still there and she normally just washed by hand even after getting the washer, saying washing machines are not as good as doing it by hand.

Once here she started using our Whirlpool washer and dryer and good laundry soap. Big difference in her attitude about washing clothes by hand versus by machine. The days of her washing by hand are over.................

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• KennyF

• Davaoeno

• lazydays

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if you are poor in some third world country and only have two pair of shirts, pants, socks and underwear then it might be economical to wash clothes by hand, but if it's a middle class family of

Okay Whippy, let's settle this once and for all. The next time your in-country, come around to my house and do a typical day's worth of laundry. I will time you and if it takes you more than the 20 mi

Like all sex, it's usually better if there's someone with you.   KonGC

enoonmai

I bought a Sharp 8.5 kg washer (non-auto)/spin dryer (no heat) at Du Ek Sam in Colon a few days ago. We went to 4 or 5 discount places down there, prices were about the same but I went with them because I've dealt with this place before. I think you will find prices a little better there then the malls. Delivery charges ranged from nothing to less then 200p within Cebu City. Everything is negotiable of course. Good luck.

greatplace

I still have my Westinghouse 7.5kg I brought over from Aussie.....Its been going for over 10 years now...Our helper washed some of my shirts by hand as it was only a small amount.....after she had finished you could put your head thru the sleeves as she pulled and scrubed by hand.

Never again will I have my cloths washed by hand its to expensive to replace.....I agree thoose days are gone.

I don't think you can buy westinghouse anymore but would suggest LG or whirlpool as a brand and a up right machine

Julian C Thong

Samsung front loader - SO loves it but still washes her panties by hand.

A_Simple_Man

I still have my Westinghouse 7.5kg I brought over from Aussie.....Its been going for over 10 years now...Our helper washed some of my shirts by hand as it was only a small amount.....after she had finished you could put your head thru the sleeves as she pulled and scrubed by hand.

Never again will I have my cloths washed by hand its to expensive to replace.....I agree thoose days are gone.

I don't think you can buy westinghouse anymore but would suggest LG or whirlpool as a brand and a up right machine

I totally totally agree. I have had more clothes destroyed in 3 years of having them hand washed than I had in 30 years of machine washing. I was starting to think I was the only one so good to see your post.

Jim in Cebu

Clothes last longer with hand-washing also.

My experience with hand-washing in Cebu City has been significantly different than yours: Anything that had elastic in it (such as, socks, briefs, t-shirt necks) or could be stretched out of shape was badly mangled within a few weeks of hand-washing -- so I started using commercial laundries that used washing machines.

I don't think that the problem I encountered was with hand-washing as such, but with the person doing the hand-laundry: In contrast, my future wife's extended family (both in the province (where there was no electricity) and in the city) hand-washed their clothes with care and the clothes were clean and undamaged -- so I blame the laundry worker that hand-washed my clothes instead of the method.

Likewise, Stateside, my washing machine cleaned clothes usually lasted "forever" -- that is, until they were well out of style or until I outgrew them (as I've slowly put on weight over the years.) -- I never had anything ruined by a washing machine.

The "Clothes last longer with hand-washing also." theory may sound good in theory but may or may not be valid in practice.

Yes I have a Gina Model - she washes twice a week and does an excellent job at 23 yrs old

Our Dryer is a Cool Mountain Breeze - takes about a day longer then sunshine, but we don't have the clothes hanging out for all the world to see.

Margie, who cleans our home, irons the clothes

KennyF

As good as hand washing is, it must be said that there is an ongoing problem with bleach.

Just about every dark coloured item I have has pale bleach spots.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF
udonthani

I lived with a (female) clothes designer in the UK for several years and she said washing machines were the worst thing that ever happened to good clothes. Unlike me, she was a snappy dresser and took the trouble to handwash almost all her own clothes. On that, I will rest my case, except to observe that it feels good to handwash your own clothes anyway wherever you are, and especially in south east Asia. Unless there is a lot of children in the family, it is un·nec·es·sar·y to bother with a an electrical washing machine.

Edited by udonthani

I gotta agree about the damage to clothes washed by hand. Of course it will depend on the skill of the washer, but all my t shirts that get hand washed in the province end up with stretched out necklines.

My Whirlpool washer that I purchased at SM Appliance center has given me trouble free service for many years now and never damages my clothes.

This topic is fast becoming like the "Joe" topic.

"I'm called Joe all the time" and "I'm never called Joe"

"Hand washing is best for your clothes" and "hand washing will kill your clothes"

In the words of the late, great Julius Sumner Miller, "why is it so?"

It can't be just plain opinion because these are black and white issues.

Either you are or aren't called Joe all the time.

Either hand washing stuffs your clothes or it doesn't.

Why so polarized?

KonGC

A_Simple_Man

Why so polarized?

KonGC

Just adding to your interesting observation. A friend's house is always filthy, in my eyes. To him it is always clean. Same house, 2 different observations.

Just adding to your interesting observation. A friend's house is always filthy, in my eyes. To him it is always clean. Same house, 2 different observations.

Sure, but they're opinions, not facts.

Now if you said his roof was red and he said it was blue, that's what I'm talking about.

KonGC

This topic is fast becoming like the "Joe" topic.

"I'm called Joe all the time" and "I'm never called Joe"

"Hand washing is best for your clothes" and "hand washing will kill your clothes"

In the words of the late, great Julius Sumner Miller, "why is it so?"

It can't be just plain opinion because these are black and white issues.

Either you are or aren't called Joe all the time.

Either hand washing stuffs your clothes or it doesn't.

Why so polarized?

KonGC

That's easy, it just depends on the skill of the washer. Some are good and some are not so good.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

washing by hand may very well be great but having a washing machine do the work is all the more time we can spend together .. and our time together is precious to us.