Australian man, 73, shot dead inside his house

Actually, I know of at least one member of this forum who had an alarm system in his home. It went off one night, although a false alarm, but the security agency responded quickly. Go figure.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• Stranded Shipscook

• tom_shor

• For Real

Foreigner shot and killed,Filipina survives untouched. These things always make me very suspiscious. How can you give any credibility to the story the way it's reported.It could have been anything, for instance, the woman may have wanted the man killed. Just goes to prove the old saying " Don't believe everything you read"

For Real

Actually, I know of at least one member of this forum who had an alarm system in his home. It went off one night, although a false alarm, but the security agency responded quickly. Go figure.

He He, probably just startled the agency...they were not sitting waiting & expecting the alarm to be raised

enoonmai

Are we to understand that you advocate giving your girlfriend access to a gun???????

Wow. What can I say? Good luck with that.

KonGC

No, I am not "advocating" (your word) getting or giving a gun to anyone. I was responding to the "I'd prefer a gun. It's a shame it is so difficult for an expat to get one in the Philippines. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire" post.

It's his decision, just as it is mine, yours, etc. I don't have a gun, my gf doesn't have one, I have never even fired a gun in my life but sad and tragic stories like this give me pause to consider it and I am well aware of the dire consequences of using it.

EAGLE's advice of arming neighbors is great but the perp(s?) were inside the house, neighbors couldn't have helped. The article said they don't know motive except possible robbery. One thing I would add to the armed neighbors advice: don't make enemies.

What they do NOT recommend, even in the USA, to go and face them and then shoot at them.

Heh. That's just job security for them. Talk to them 'off the record' and you will get vastly different responses.

I actually had a few tell me that if you do find yourself in a situation where you have to shoot an intruder, don't shoot them in the back and make sure that the body falls onto your side of the property line. :thats-funny:

Edited by Mailman
Stranded Shipscook

Looking at the dog angle. It is a good idea, but one has to train it not to bark at all times, which can be done easily.

Also a dog is a nice addition to the family. I'd suggest German Shepard, they are very trainable, very impressive when faced and have a natural protective instinct very much alive. And they are fast ! For some unknown reason the Filipinos also fear them most. And that is what we want to achieve, right ?

When one does the additional effort to take him out for a daily walk in the neighborhood, any hoodlum will refrain from visiting your house almost indefinitely.

PS- I had one of those beautiful dogs for two years when living in Cebu City, it protected the Restaurant premise and ran free at night. (fenced in area.)

Location was : Banawa across Forest hills- behind the Restaurant was a squatter area !

Sadly it died suddenly on a heart attack (some unknown gene defect due to over breeding)

Heh. That's just job security for them.

I actually had a few tell me that if you do find yourself in a situation where you have to shoot an intruder, don't shoot them in the back and make sure that the body falls onto your side of the property line. :thats-funny:

But you never shot any, did you ?

But you never shot any, did you ?

Nope, I have yet to be in a situation where it was necessary to shoot someone inside my home.

I am not exactly a "shoot first, ask questions later" type, but I can envision a few scenarios where that would be the appropriate response. Not every scenario, however, calls for the use of deadly force. Sometimes, the mere threat of deadly force is sufficient. Sometimes, a simple request to leave will do. It all depends on the situation. Hopefully, one has a bit of time to properly assess the perceived 'threat' before reacting... improper responses can and will mean charges for you.

Be safe out there. :thats-funny:

KennyF

No, I am not "advocating" (your word) getting or giving a gun to anyone.

I guess I misunderstood your intention.

When you responded to >>I'd prefer a gun. It's a shame it is so difficult for an expat to get one in the Philippines. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

With >>A gf and a gun works.

I thought you were suggesting arming your girl friend.

My mistake.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Nope, I have yet to be in a situation where it was necessary to shoot someone inside my home.

I am not exactly a "shoot first, ask questions later" type, but I can envision a few scenarios where that would be the appropriate response. Not every scenario, however, calls for the use of deadly force. Sometimes, the mere threat of deadly force is sufficient. Sometimes, a simple request to leave will do. It all depends on the situation. Hopefully, one has a bit of time to properly assess the perceived 'threat' before reacting... improper responses can and will mean charges for you.

Be safe out there. :thats-funny:

One can also try to impress intruders differently, here is an idea for a pyjama, and its legal too:

post-8399-0-36297500-1313040604_thumb.jpg

shadow

your neighbors must love you. :thats-funny:

don't you think that people will get used to the idea of your dogs always barking and start to ignore them rather than think their barking is a sign of problems? my neighbor has a couple of yappy dogs and if they started barking at an intruder i would think nothing of it because they are always barking at something.

regarding the australian, i think it is foolish to simply go out and confront whatever noise you may hear in the middle of the night. you are probably sleepy and not thinking clearly and you have no idea what you are up against. perhaps it is best to just make some noise, flick a light on and off inside your room, and hunker down. intruders don't like to be found out, if you give them a choice to leave peacefully they likely will. this has worked for me a couple of times.

When my dogs bark, there is something worth looking into, and everyone takes notice. When a 90 pound bulldog with a head the size of a bowling ball gets upset, it's not just the neighbors that pay attention.

Larry in Dumaguete

CRIM0334.JPG

Edited by shadow
For Real

When my dogs bark, there is something worth looking into, and everyone takes notice. When a 90 pound bulldog with a head the size of a bowling ball gets upset, it's not just the neighbors that pay attention.

Larry in Dumaguete

post-49-0-25977800-1313043294_thumb.jpg

Now T H A T is a dog. What does it cost/week to run one of those?

Larry in Dumaguete

post-49-0-25977800-1313043294_thumb.jpg

Now T H A T is a dog. What does it cost/week to run one of those monsters?

Headshot

Strange circumstances, two cartridges, a deformed slug, the moethod of entry. I hope shadow can bring light into the "background" of the victim through the expat community in Dumaguete.

Right now it can be anything, Assassination. Revenge for an insult. Really anything. butt he circumstances are more pointing into a "non burglary" direction.

Burglars in the Philippines are very seldom armed. If a criminal here has a weapon, he "upgrades" into more "lucrative" ways to "earn a living".

I think you are right in that NOTHING is actually known in this case. The GF may have shot him and just made it look like a break-in. The two different calibers is interesting. I wonder which gun the perp used to actually shoot him. People tend to keep coming if shot with a 9mm, whereas a .45 will knock them on their ass and they won't get up. It makes you wonder if he had the 9mm.

I would not own a 9mm pistol for self defense because it probably won't stop an attacker quickly enough (although I think owning a pistol for self defense is silly anyway). If you store it properly, you won't be able to get to it when you need it. If you don't store it properly (as in locked up), it is more likely that somebody in your family will be shot accidently (by somebody who doesn't understand how dangerous it is) than it is that you will actually be able to use it to defend anybody.

I have two dogs that are suspicious of strangers and will make lots of noise if there is movement outside the house (they sleep inside the house, so it would be difficult to shut them up). In my next construction project, we will also be installing security lights on the property, so that any motion outside the house will turn on the lights or so that any light inside or outside the house can be turned on from inside my bedroom. Between the dogs and the lights, I doubt that many would-be burglars will want to stick around to see what comes next. If they do, then they may find themselves looking down the barrel of a shotgun. The dogs and the lights will give me plenty of time to get the shotgun out and load it.

Edited by Headshot

I do have one neighbor in particular who does not like us because of our dogs. But he is also the same guy who has three cars that help clog up our narrow street and has not made him a popular person with the rest of our neighbors. As for overall security are the dogs perfect? No in fact they are barking right now along with the heavy rains in the backgrounds but they are better than nothing. And don't forget folks, we are not allowed to own a gun. Our asawas and girl friends are but we are not. Finally, if, as some of you have speculated that maybe she killed him is sad if true. Why not just get up and leave him since she was his girl friend not his wife and with him being 73 I am guessing he was not a physical threat to her.

Stranded Shipscook

Read the story more carefully. He was a resident of Bacolod. The story was just filed in Dumaguete. I think you are right in that NOTHING is actually known in this case. The GF may have shot him and just made it look like a break-in. ad it.

i read and i read and i read again, sorry mate, i can't find bacolod. only dumaguete.:thats-funny:

DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines - An Australian national was shot dead inside his rented apartment by a still unidentified assailant early Sunday morning at purok Ano in barangay Banilad, this city.

maybe you got more news? or shadow ?

Edited by Guenther
Headshot

i read and i read and i read again, sorry mate, i can't find bacolod. only dumaguete.:thats-funny:

DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines - An Australian national was shot dead inside his rented apartment by a still unidentified assailant early Sunday morning at purok Ano in barangay Banilad, this city.

maybe you got more news? or shadow ?

I guess it's ME who needs to read more closely... :bighug: