Australian man, 73, shot dead inside his house

At the very least, a dog (regardless of size) would serve as a deterrant. No one really wants to try to stealthily enter a home with a barking dog. And, in the event, they are still determined to enter, it will serve as an 'early warning system' for you to investigate virtually unnoticed while the dog gets all the attention. That is, until you make your presence known with loud noises and flashes of light. :P

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• Stranded Shipscook

• tom_shor

• For Real

Stranded Shipscook

A dog certainly would have helped. I really need to get a rottweiler.

Of course, if someone is stupid enough to break into my home while I am present, they will get what they deserve.

post-1-0-98918200-1313027317_thumb.jpg

A second gun maybe ? :P

But you are correct, combined with a reliable alarm system you may have a good chance to shoot first.

Edited by Guenther
Stranded Shipscook

At the very least, a dog (regardless of size) would serve as a deterrant. No one really wants to try to stealthily enter a home with a barking dog. And, in the event, they are still determined to enter, it will serve as an 'early warning system' for you to investigate virtually unnoticed while the dog gets all the attention. That is, until you make your presence known with loud noises and flashes of light. :P

Although a good idea in general, i like to share this with you guys. My neighbor has 4 barking dogs, 2 of those fluffy noisemakers and 2 dalmatians. The bark at any time, 24hrs, even when the owners themselve enter the premise.

Few weeks ago i was awaken by a new noise ( i don't hear the dogs anymore ! ) the waterpump made horrible screaching noises and threw sparks all other place.

Good neighbor as i am, i walked over and right through the barking barriage (the dogs are of course my buddies, but netherthless they bark joyfully when they see me.)

It took me a good five minutes banging at his door and shouting on top of my lungs til he stuck his sleeping head outside. And flipped the fuse switch.

In my own experience, when i cam home one day around 3 am it took me the same time to wake up my staff so i could get my forgotten key ! And i banged right on their bedroom door !

If ever i would feel the necessity of securing my house, i'd rather go for a a siren with a few sensors i guess. Because when i drank more than 2 small SMB, i would not wake up if some heavy metal band would practise in the Living room.

I guess I am pretty fortunate, in that I am a light sleeper. I wake very easily.

If you, as a foreigner cant own or shoot a gun, it would be a wise thing to let your Filipina wife buy one and use it for you in case

this is something very American, because here in Europe people don't own guns if they don't hunt on animals in the woods

easy44

If I bought my gf or members of her family a gun to protect me, I would be just as likely to be shot as anyone else. I don't believe my gf would shoot me intentionally but she is careless with dangerous objects! The family is usually drunk when they are not working and might shoot me if I refused to give more money for tuba!

MarinePride

One thing I have learned being here and it rings true, albeit very unpleasant. "Life is cheap here and you are nothing to most people." This applies to foreigners and the locals equally.

When I lived in the USA, I amassed a huge arsenal of various guns and considered them my favorite pastime. Over here, I don't have one, but I could get my hands on one if I wanted to. The repercussions of shooting someone with one in my house is just not worth it to me, as I'd be the loser in the end, you know how it goes here being the foreigner and all of your perceived wealth.

I would suggest that everyone learn unarmed combat of the various disciplines and learn how to use normal everyday objects as weapons. And even then, if you really have to use them for self defense, I'm sure there are some that will cry foul.

The family is usually drunk when they are not working and might shoot me if I refused to give more money for tuba!

My mother once wanted to exchange me for a carton of cigarettes

easy44

My mother once wanted to exchange me for a carton of cigarettes

Now that's funny, because I can almost see it happening!

Correct Mailman.

We have several dogs as I mentioned and one of them is a small Tzu shu and he is too loud for his own good. And when anyone comes by whether its family or stranger he lets us know. And as an added bonus the other dogs have picked up his habit.

At the very least, a dog (regardless of size) would serve as a deterrant. No one really wants to try to stealthily enter a home with a barking dog. And, in the event, they are still determined to enter, it will serve as an 'early warning system' for you to investigate virtually unnoticed while the dog gets all the attention. That is, until you make your presence known with loud noises and flashes of light. :thats-funny:

rfm010

We have several dogs as I mentioned and one of them is a small Tzu shu and he is too loud for his own good. And when anyone comes by whether its family or stranger he lets us know. And as an added bonus the other dogs have picked up his habit.

your neighbors must love you. :thats-funny:

don't you think that people will get used to the idea of your dogs always barking and start to ignore them rather than think their barking is a sign of problems? my neighbor has a couple of yappy dogs and if they started barking at an intruder i would think nothing of it because they are always barking at something.

regarding the australian, i think it is foolish to simply go out and confront whatever noise you may hear in the middle of the night. you are probably sleepy and not thinking clearly and you have no idea what you are up against. perhaps it is best to just make some noise, flick a light on and off inside your room, and hunker down. intruders don't like to be found out, if you give them a choice to leave peacefully they likely will. this has worked for me a couple of times.

Do you think a very loud alarm system on your house would scare them away ? Or do you think they are smart enough to know that they have plenty of time to rob you blind and shoot you and get away easily.

Stranded Shipscook

Do you think a very loud alarm system on your house would scare them away ? Or do you think they are smart enough to know that they have plenty of time to rob you blind and shoot you and get away easily.

YES. it would deter criminals. (in the Philippines) but mainly it would wake YOU up, so you can get to safety. or protect your family. or whatever.

And no, they are not smart enough to figure that they would have time enough.(In the Philippines)

Actually they don't have time enough. To get away clean. Too many witnesses and neighbors. (In the Philippines )

Edited by Guenther
Stranded Shipscook

your neighbors must love you. :thats-funny:

don't you think that people will get used to the idea of your dogs always barking and start to ignore them rather than think their barking is a sign of problems? my neighbor has a couple of yappy dogs and if they started barking at an intruder i would think nothing of it because they are always barking at something.

regarding the australian, i think it is foolish to simply go out and confront whatever noise you may hear in the middle of the night. you are probably sleepy and not thinking clearly and you have no idea what you are up against. perhaps it is best to just make some noise, flick a light on and off inside your room, and hunker down. intruders don't like to be found out, if you give them a choice to leave peacefully they likely will. this has worked for me a couple of times.

this is actually what the Police ALL over the world recommends in case of a burglary. Of course also to call them.

What they do NOT recommend, even in the USA, to go and face them and then shoot at them.

For Real

Do you think a very loud alarm system on your house would scare them away ?

In this thread so far the suggestion of getting at least one dog is the best (the bigger the better). We have not got the evidence here to confidently say this event was a clear cut robbery..I just think you are more likely to count on a dog for loyalty when its needed rather than devices & fellow humans to protect you.

Or do you think they are smart enough to know that they have plenty of time to rob you blind and shoot you and get away easily.

All the bad guys I have seen in the RP are not likely to have an IQ of even 80...but then again the only bad guys I have seen are the ones who were caught