Australian man, 73, shot dead inside his house

the.lone.gunman

The best burglar alarm is a dog, even a small one.

Get a pistol and and learn how to use it.

Anyone can be taught to be safe and proficient at 5 to10 meters in one weekend.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• Stranded Shipscook

• tom_shor

• For Real

Just a sidebar:

There is a difference between robbery and burglary. Seems most are interchanging the terms here.

A robbery is where someone uses physical force, fear, and/or intimidation in order to relieve someone else of their property.

A burglary is where someone enters a building or structure for the purpose of stealing property.

Example: Someone sneaking in your house in the middle of the night and stealing stuff while you sleep is burglary. But if you happen to wake up and catch them in the act and they then pull a weapon in order to continue, then it is robbery.

Thnaks for the clarification.

Can I also add that a burglar burgles in a burglary.

The victim is burgled.

He was not burglarised in a buglarisation

loosehead

My best friend in Vancouver was on the SWAT team , and had a lot of weapons he was selling when he moved. I told him I wanted a 9mm . He asked what for and i told him for home protection. His advise to me was that since i hadnt handled weapons that I dont get a 9mm since my hand would probably be shaking so much that i couldnt hit anything even if i wanted to. He suggested that instead i buy a 12 guage shotgun. He also said that most times just the sight of the bore of the 12 guage and the sound of a round being chambered was more than enough deterent to scare off any intruder.

The other piece of advice that he gave me was that if i shot an invader to make sure that I killed them, because " dead guys dont testify against you " !!

A guy I know claims to have loaded shotgun cartridges with rice. His thinking is the burglar will see the flash and think he is gonna die and if he doesn't die of shock he will spend the next week in hospital having rice dug out of him. The longer that process takes, the more the rice will have swollen. Sounds good in theory but hasn't been tested yet.

Many thousands of foreigners have lived in the Philippines for many years without ever being threatened in their own home so we shouldn't blow isolated incidents out of proportion..

A guy I know claims to have loaded shotgun cartridges with rice.

I know peeps who do that with rock salt. :D

• Admin (Retired)
broden

get a pump gun make the first few shots rock salt then next ones regular shot and the last one a slug.

if you get all the way through the slug and they're still coming you might as well just help them pack up your stuff

I know peeps who do that with rock salt. :D

I guess the talk of shotguns and use of on this thread is off topic, so this will be my last post on the matter, there's a number of homemade loads that can be used, but at close range they may all prove fatal, when the 17mm x 40mm *plastic wad that contains your alternate load exits the barrel, it then travels with that load for some distance, so a wad full of just about anything will probably prove fatal at close range. but perhaps the bigger danger is reloading your existing cartridges with out marking them in a very clear manner,Its very easy to put the wrong cartridge in your breech if there mixed in your belt or pocket. those of you who have ever used 20g and 12g will be aware how dangerous that can be if you pull a cartridge from the wrong pocket, The UK tried some years ago to have all 20g ammunition only packed in yellow colored cartridges,however many cheaper cartridges available from overseas manufacturers and sold on the UK market, chose to ignore the rule so the whole idea was shelved.

* Yes there maybe other wads available in the Philippines for buckshot [ felt, cardboard, etc]but mine have all been plastic.

rainymike

I don't think that the murder rate is any higher here than in other large urban areas in the US. Having lived in a large urban area in the US, I'd say that the best strategy is prevention.

Avoid large thick walls. Once the burglar is over the wall, he is hidden from view. Try not to give the burglar any cover. Lights with a motion sensor and a dog are helpful.

If a noise wakes you at night and you suspect a burglar, wake up and make some noises. Call the police and report in a loud voice. Most burglars would rather flee than fight. If you try to startle him and he feels trapped, he'll probably do desperate things. Not good. Give him a chance to escape. I've not met a tv set that's worth my life fighting over.

Locks on the bedroom door keep him at a distance.

Lived many years practicing the above. Lights with motion sensor and dog (a small miniature doberman) seemed to prevent the situation from escalating to anything more. I had a gun and never fired it. Never felt comfortable having it nearby when we had visitors so kept it locked away.

Don't read too many murder headlines in newspapers or forums and get paranoid and itchy fingered. Be careful but focus on prevention rather than trying to John Wayne your way through the Philippines.

Edited by rainymike

heyjoe was robbed while a sleep in his home...he found out days later when he noticed things missing from the home...a review of his security tapes showed the robber taking out property and showed the robber had a gun.the best device installed in his house was the bedroom locking doors on his room and the kids room!

the robber scaled an 12 foot wall with barbed wire and intered the house thru a sliding door.

ps...I like the cross bow idea & a bulldog.

Did they jimmy the door or break it or was it unlocked

Did they jimmy the door or break it or was it unlocked

jimmy the door lock

one more thing...i know a guy that set up the best security system...he has 200 volts wire on top of his wall and rottwierler dog in the yard,no one gets in his compound.

For Real

I know a guy that set up the best security system...he has 200 volts wire on top of his wall and rottwierler dog in the yard,no one gets in his compound.

Aha, much more attractive than the broken glass, I guess he has the wall well grounded to create a nice BBQ effect

KennyF

one more thing...i know a guy that set up the best security system...he has 200 volts wire on top of his wall and rottwierler dog in the yard,no one gets in his compound.

This would be considered a "man trap" in Australia and carries very heavy penalties.

Don't know about in RP.but I think if an unarmed burger died from an electric shock you would find your self in deep do do's.

And what happens if little Juan jumps the fence to get his football back?

KonGC

shadow

This would be considered a "man trap" in Australia and carries very heavy penalties.

Don't know about in RP.but I think if an unarmed burger died from an electric shock you would find your self in deep do do's.

And what happens if little Juan jumps the fence to get his football back?

KonGC

There have been two deaths by electric fence here in Dumaguete that I can recall. The first was about the time you were here, and happened on the property of a well known Swiss expat. The Swiss was out of the country at the time, and had put a friend in charge of looking after his "resort". Story goes that one of the neighbor teens had formed the habit of sneaking into the pantry and stealing food, as well as peeping into the cr while girls were inside. A "stake pit" was dug behind the cr, and an electric wire run around it. An electric wire was also run around the well marked perimeter of the property, 3 feet inside the fence. One night the teen managed to get past the perimeter wire, but fell into the stake pit, impaling one leg. It was raining, and the pit had water in the bottom. He reached up to pull himself out, by the wire. All she wrote for him.

There was some uproar for a bit, but as far as I know no repercussions or penalties were ever levied. He still has the resort, and is still here years later. In fact, I saw him last night.

There was also a case of a 9 year old boy who was electrocuted about a month ago. It stated in the paper that the landowner had run a wire around his property, about one meter off the ground. A 9 year old boy got entangled in it and died. The paper stated the landowner had agreed to pay the burial services. I tried finding this article but was not successful.

Larry in Dumaguete