Australian man, 73, shot dead inside his house

Australian man, 73, shot dead inside his house

DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines - An Australian national was shot dead inside his rented apartment by a still unidentified assailant early Sunday morning at purok Ano in barangay Banilad, this city.

Police identified the victim as Joseph Mary Debono, 73, who sustained gunshot wounds in the left side of his chest and other parts of his body.

The victim's live-in Filipina partner, identified as 41-year-old Helen Balajadia, told police investigators that at around 1:50 a.m. when she and Joseph were sleeping, they were awaken by a noise outside the room.

Joseph went outside the room to check, but shortly after bursts of gunfire were heard. Helen rushed out of the room and found out Joseph bloodied.

She called for help from her neighbors and immediately rushed the victim to the Holy Child, but at around 2:30 am, or about an hour later, the attending physician declared him dead.

Police initial investigation found out that the window of the comfort room was destroyed, and this was where the assailant was believed to have gained entrance.

Recovered from the scene of the crime were two empty shells of caliber 9 MM and .45 caliber pistol and one deformed slug.

The police have yet to determine the motive of the killing as they continued to scour possible witnesses to the gruesome incident. The other possible cause being looked into was robbery.

Seriously, people. Get a dog.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mailman

• Stranded Shipscook

• tom_shor

• For Real

Topper

I'd prefer a gun. It's a shame it is so difficult for an expat to get one in the Philippines. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

lazydays

Funny they never heard anything, if, the CR window was destroyed. Maybe just wrong wording by the reporter.

Stupid me - they obviously heard something, which is why he went to look.

I'd prefer a gun. It's a shame it is so difficult for an expat to get one in the Philippines. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Crossbow ! or don't go out to look, or both.

Edited by lazydays

With you on that. Although a dog would be a good distraction for you to get in a clean shot.

On the other hand, the article only spoke of a single assailant yet two calibers of shell casings were found. Was the Austrailian in fact armed? Who knows. Chalk it up to shoddy reporting I guess.

Funny they never heard anything, if, the CR window was destroyed. Maybe just wrong wording by the reporter.

Stupid me - they obviously heard something, which is why he went to look.

Crossbow ! or don't go out to look, or both.

I have posted many times previous to this issue of Foreigner's using "arms" against a Pinoy.

Should you kill a Pinoy even in defense of your child/children, never mind Wife or Property,

YOU will have to leave the area.

NO shit

NO reprieve

NO question about it.

NEVER arm yourself.

Arm your Pinoy family.

Arm your neighbours. They will Love you for it and they will protect YOU and your family.

These guys are your friends and feed off you. ? And you show them generosity. ???

Their Country = Their RULES. Like 'em or LEAVE - IMHO

EAGLE

Edited by EAGLE
lazydays

I have posted many times previous to this issue of Foreigner's using "arms" against a Pinoy.

Should you kill a Pinoy even in defense of your child/children, never mind Wife or Property,

YOU will have to leave the area.

NO shit

NO reprieve

NO question about it.

NEVER arm yourself.

Arm your Pinoy family.

Arm your neighbours. They will Love you for it and they will protect YOU and your family.

These guys are your friends and feed off you. ? And you show them generosity. ???

Their Country = Their RULES. Like 'em or LEAVE - IMHO

EAGLE

I agree 100%, but there will always be some who don't.

I agree 100%, but there will always be some who don't.

There are "The quick & The dead" also.

I will take on anybody in my own back-yard. = In MY Country.

IN Foreign places "Bow" IMHO.

Later one can ascertain who the Perp's were and serruptisously slot the scum "By Proxy" using their Countries "Rules". .

IMHO

EAGLE

Edited by EAGLE
enoonmai

A gf and a gun works.

udonthani

A gf and a gun works.

only in your dreams. You have no idea what 'works', and what doesn't. All you know is that you're a target, and you're in danger just by being perceived a rich foreigner in a desperate, dirt-poor country.

only in your dreams. You have no idea what 'works', and what doesn't. All you know is that you're a target, and you're in danger just by being perceived a rich foreigner in a desperate, dirt-poor country.

IMO the thick/stupid "Macho" visitor, to PI, does not even know THAT.

EAGLE

Edited by EAGLE
KennyF

A gf and a gun works.

Are we to understand that you advocate giving your girlfriend access to a gun???????

Wow. What can I say? Good luck with that.

KonGC

Jess Bartone

big-dog-12.jpg+crossbow2.jpg

=

Happy_Family.gif

only in your dreams. You have no idea what 'works', and what doesn't.

A resident should have a better idea than a know-all tourist.

A dog certainly would have helped. I really need to get a rottweiler.

Of course, if someone is stupid enough to break into my home while I am present, they will get what they deserve.

n.jpg

RIP. I am glad that she was no hurt, and I agree with you Mailman. I do have a few dogs and they do bark.

Stranded Shipscook

Strange circumstances, two cartridges, a deformed slug, the moethod of entry. I hope shadow can bring light into the "background" of the victim through the expat community in Dumaguete.

Right now it can be anything, Assassination. Revenge for an insult. Really anything. butt he circumstances are more pointing into a "non burglary" direction.

Burglars in the Philippines are very seldom armed. If a criminal here has a weapon, he "upgrades" into more "lucrative" ways to "earn a living".