Herring

Panserhansen

Panserhansen

Herring is popular in Scandinavia. There are many households in the old times, surviving on herring and potatoes. Now, we can add spices from all over the world and the herring is easy to work with - it adopts the flavor easily. It can be served fresh, or put on a vinegar in glasses.

I know you can get imported herring in Gustavian and Tinder Box, but I would like to try to make some myself. Having no access to fresh herring, I have to look for a similar fish. So far, I've come up with Bangus. This is quite a bony fish, but they do sell frozen fillets. Can those fillets be used?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

sandwindstars

Herring is found in the Philippines. It may be called in Tagalog: tamban, tunsoy or tawilis. I have had them there. It is also popular smoked: tinapa. Here is a link you can check out: Philippine fish Check the fish in the market. I'm not sure if the same is available in the Visayas as in Luzon.

Stranded Shipscook

bangus comes closest in texture,taste and availability, i used to make "rollmops" )Pickled Herring) and other German Specialities out of it with great success.

You can buy it also fresh and as fillets. Even in Toledo City, ask for it and they will get it for you.

Sometimes it is seasonal, so during "harvest" in the fishponds it comes very cheap.

Edited by Guenther
  • 4 weeks later...
Panserhansen

Just want to confirm that the bangus fillets worked out excellent for herring. Will try with the tamban later on.

A couple of pics and how I did it: http://www.ycebu.com/articles/D276642C-3D0A-4F35-9184-D7434BC50891.aspx

I also made some more yesterday, but with tomato sauce and dill. Worked out pretty good too! No need for those supplies from Norway anymore(except spices).

Free tasting at Caesar's in Toledo tomorrow around noon, if you're in the neighborhood.

Stranded Shipscook

Just want to confirm that the bangus fillets worked out excellent for herring. Will try with the tamban later on.

A couple of pics and how I did it: http://www.ycebu.com/articles/D276642C-3D0A-4F35-9184-D7434BC50891.aspx

I also made some more yesterday, but with tomato sauce and dill. Worked out pretty good too! No need for those supplies from Norway anymore(except spices).

Free tasting at Caesar's in Toledo tomorrow around noon, if you're in the neighborhood.

thanks a lot for the post and pictures ! Keep informing us with this valuable tips please :thats-funny:

ArieBombarie

I once got offered some small yellow and blue fish straight from the sea at leyte, to dip in vinager and eat fresh, considering we do eat our herring fresh as well I could not back out, tasted great (better than herring that is often too oily of taste fresh)