Affordable Cooking Oil availability in P.I. ?

questsea73

KennyF

Canola is pure man-made garbage;

Canola is rape seed or mustard seed oil.

Originally, as rape seed oil it was great stuff but now it mostly comes from GM crops.

The name "Canola Oil" was thought better than "Rape oil" (surprise) and is made from "CAN", "O"il "L"ow "A"cid.(it was developed in Canada)

If we are talking about having a deep fried meal once a week, lard or dripping, or a 50/50 mix of animal fat and vegetable oil would probably be OK

As many have already said,. moderation is the answer.

As an aside, I quite enjoy these food topics on LinC. I learn quite a bit too.

KonGC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• KennyF

• Jess Bartone

• easy44

lazydays

Funny thing about Canola, up until a few years ago i didn't know what it was, its labelled in the UK as Rapeseed Oil.

OPs question about Margerine in PI, dreadful stuff, most of it full of hydrogenated trans fats, which are banned in some countries.

Butter is easily found e.g Anchor spreadable Butter etc.

Athena

If one is on health conscious he should not deep fry at all. And fry "oil free" as much as possible well.

And in my eyes most of the debates are sheer blabla. I just remember the heat against the butter in the 70ties. And many other topics about cholesterol which then suddenly were proven nonsense. ( and probably initiated by the producers of certain products themselves in order to promote their product )

Not that health and healthy lifestyle is important, but to blast against one or promote one certain oil is almost fanatical. All have pros and cons.

What is more important ( and thats what counts) is the temperature resistance and "burn"(Smoke Point) temp of an oil, because "burned" oil is definitely not only ugly in taste, but proven (by empiric studies) harmful to health.

Coconut oil has the best temperature/economic values here in the Philippines.

When I was in still in PI, we made fried rice using lard. Here in the West, I made my fried rice using butter with garlic salt ………

So Chef, what oil would you suggest in frying schnitzel? As you had pointed before it easily burned. BTW, we had schnitzel again last night, and this time, I think I cracked it! The girls (my daughter and her pals) all had second helpings and I had a nice hug and kisses from my daughter.

So thank you very much for the tip and also a big thank you to digiteye for the milk tip. That’s the first time I heard of marinating meat in milk. I don’t know or understand what it did to the meat – but the schnitzel was just fab!!!

Stranded Shipscook

When I was in still in PI, we made fried rice using lard. Here in the West, I made my fried rice using butter with garlic salt ………

So Chef, what oil would you suggest in frying schnitzel? As you had pointed before it easily burned. BTW, we had schnitzel again last night, and this time, I think I cracked it! The girls (my daughter and her pals) all had second helpings and I had a nice hug and kisses from my daughter.

So thank you very much for the tip and also a big thank you to digiteye for the milk tip. That’s the first time I heard of marinating meat in milk. I don’t know or understand what it did to the meat – but the schnitzel was just fab!!!

(Did i said anything about Schnitzel and burning?, cant recall.. )

Anyway, here you go

Originally you should use veal for schnitzel. but pork does it just as good.

Are you in the Philippines ? If yes :

Coconut oil ! what did you expect, LOL.

I deep fry them swimming for best results. Most people in household throw them in the pan, thats actually wrong. And leads to burning.

hope it helps.

Coconut oil is the way to go! I worry what I will use when I go back to the U.S. Canola is pure man-made garbage; olive oil turns toxic at high temperatures. Coconut adds the best flavor. As far as coconut oil being a saturated fat... yes it is, but it is healthy for you. I actually drink 5 Tablespoons of VCO everyday in addition to all the cooking I do with it and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels have dropped tremendously over the last three years. Like I said, I worry what I will use when I go back to the U.S. as coconut "cooking" oil is not so plentiful. :-(

If you cook a lot, check at a gastronomy supplier and buy a 10 kg block. i don't know if they also have that German "Biskin" brand

, but in general, all block frying fat is mostly coconut oil.

(cause Coconut oil gets hard at our cooler room temps)

Athena

(Did i said anything about Schnitzel and burning?, cant recall.. )

Anyway, here you go

Originally you should use veal for schnitzel. but pork does it just as good.

Are you in the Philippines ? If yes :

Coconut oil ! what did you expect, LOL.

I deep fry them swimming for best results. Most people in household throw them in the pan, thats actually wrong. And leads to burning.

hope it helps.

Nope ........... so what oil do you suggest to use then .......... TA!

Stranded Shipscook

Nope ........... so what oil do you suggest to use then .......... TA!

Any deep frying oil, the call it "deep frying fat" in the colder climate, as it will become solid.

Thats the confusion of so many Filipinos abroad, because nobody told them.

(In fact i didn't realize it myself until i had a canister of oil on a ships delivery in 2004. I stored the oil on the car deck outside, when the ship got down to the colder Australian climate at that time of the year, the contents got solid :P)

If you use a cheaper brand, it will most likely be coconut oil.

But in the USA you have a wide variety of deep frying oil/fat.

I assume any will do.

Edited by Guenther
Jess Bartone

Ghee is clarified butter

Quite right, I got mixed up with lard.

...spreadable Butter...

Unfortunately "spreadable" butter has all these trans fat type additives to make it spreadable, it's all about melting temperature, and adding surplus rubbish oil... of questionable origin and processing standard... to butter, makes it softer at a given room temperature. I advise plain butter, with/without salt added, and keep it in a sealed container outside the fridge... fridges used to have a heated butter compartment, but with the overwhelming flood of misinformation regarding margarine and butter in the 70's, the butter compartment has all but disappeared.

At least with butter I know where it comes from - a cow's tit - whereas margarine comes from a genetically modified nuke factory.

Any oil which is heated towards smoke point has already undergone a molecular change... in other words the concept of deep frying is very unhealthy... however, as I said before, everything in moderation and never a focus on any single food group. So if intending to deep fry, use the highest smoke point oil available.

For salads, use only "extra virgin" cold pressed oils, of which olive and coconut stand head and shoulders above the rest.

KennyF

Quite right, I got mixed up with lard.

At least with butter I know where it comes from - a cow's tit - whereas margarine comes from a genetically modified nuke factory.

For salads, use only "extra virgin" cold pressed oils, of which olive and coconut stand head and shoulders above the rest.

>>> At least with butter I know where it comes from - a cow's tit - whereas margarine comes from a genetically modified nuke factory.

In a previous life I spent 7 years with Unilever in Adelaide and back then one of our best sellers was Stork Table margarine.

We used to say "it's derived from plants, just like butter, but before it goes through a cow.

You may have noticed in a previous post that in the states there is no legislation for olive oil labeling except that it must be 100% olive oil, consequently ALL olive oil (in the states) is sold as "extra virgin". Maybe the same is true in RP, I don't know.

Australian legislation is up in the air. It seems no one knows so many inferior oils are miss labeled as "extra virgin".

As an aside, in Thailand you can label a product 100% and you are allowed 5% leeway.

But label something 95% and it MUST be exactly 95%

You can make a good spreadable butter by blending olive oil or similar with melted butter.

I seem to remember 1 oil to 2 butter was about right.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF
Jess Bartone

.....one of our best sellers was Stork Table margarine.....

You can make a good spreadable butter by blending olive oil or similar with melted butter.

I seem to remember 1 oil to 2 butter was about right.

So you'd remember the tv ad campaign where they approached punters eating sandwiches and asked them what was on it. "Dunno" they would say.

"well we spoke to your wife/mother and this is what she had to say: 'Yes I've been using Stork.............."

"I couldn't tell the difference".

So Hogan and Strop gave it a makeover... "Yes I've been using Stork on Strop's sandwiches........"

"I couldn't tell the difference" says Strop, "I thought it was chicken".

I like your spreadable butter recipe because you know exactly what is in it.

tripsigg

Unfortunately "spreadable" butter has all these trans fat type additives to make it spreadable, it's all about melting temperature, and adding surplus rubbish oil... of questionable origin and processing standard... to butter, makes it softer at a given room temperature. I advise plain butter, with/without salt added, and keep it in a sealed container outside the fridge... fridges used to have a heated butter compartment, but with the overwhelming flood of misinformation regarding margarine and butter in the 70's, the butter compartment has all but disappeared.

Well, that's some spreadable butter. I buy spreadable butter that has three ingredients, sweet cream, olive oil and salt. You get a nice spreadable butter and nothing bad.I think I'll try the recipe mentioned here as well.

Edited by tripsigg
Jess Bartone

Well, that's some spreadable butter. I buy spreadable butter that has three ingredients, sweet cream, olive oil and salt. You get a nice spreadable butter and nothing bad.I think I'll try the recipe mentioned here as well.

Yes, but did your olive oil come from the first cold pressing, or was it from a big stinky rancid pile of olive pulp dregs which has had the life cooked out of it once more to create "extra lite" olive oil? Extra light is what they call the last bit of oil which can be nuked out of the pulp under extreme temperature and chemical invasion.

I've had a gutsful of all this shit thrown at us these days, promising the world in a teacup, but I don't believe a word they say any more... they're even glueing offcuts of meat together these days, and calling the conglomerate "fillet steak". The only way to have peace of mind is to make your own from clean raw materials. No olives in Phils so coconut oil is the go.