Affordable Cooking Oil availability in P.I. ?

questsea73

questsea73

I am wondering when I arrive in P.I. later in the year for a long stay what cooking oil availability will be, that is, affordable cooking oil.

I did no cooking on my own the 4 years I lived in Thailand (10 years ago) so don't even remember what the norm for oil there was. It seems to me that I remember Chinese favor peanut oil, but may be wrong.

Here for quite a few years I have used canola oil, replacing the corn oil with it. Before corn oil, I think soybean oil. Peanut oil is somewhat expensive here and said to be least healthy of options.

Cost-wise here now they run about $8.90 (canola), $11.00 (corn), and $13.10 (peanut) in Wal-Mart for 1 gallon (slightly under 4 liters). Not sure about soybean oil.

I do very little deep frying but use on wok cooking and baking oil, so a fair amount get used in my household.

Anyone there with "their pulse on" the cooking oil situation???

Also--is there a decent quality, reasonably priced margarine (for toast, etc) or is butter (from Australia/N Zealand) holding sway over the man-mades?

Ken

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• KennyF

• Jess Bartone

• easy44

KennyF

Rice bran oil is the latest to hit the market and having used a few liters over the last year or so I'd say I prefer it over canola.

It's a good stir fry oil and makes great kai dow, those burnt edge/soft yolk eggs that the Thais love so much.

The local margarine is absolute yuk.

It's the same one as you find in Thailand in a round yellow container.

Stays solid even at room temperature.

All butter and good margarine is expensive but what the heck, you only use it in small quantities.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Personally i recommend Coconut oil ( BAMBI brand ). have good experience with it since 14 years and tried multiple others. Great temp stability and economic. Flavorless too. it is also the main frying oil (in blocks) for commercial cooking in the west. here it of course is liquid due to the Tropical temperatures.

Oh, and don' get irritaded by the logo "vegetable oil" its coconut.

For others purposes like salads or other preparations you an of course use Soy, Canola,Olive and the like. Its all available here.

NB- I am a Restaurant Chef and probably used thousands of liters.

Edited by Guenther
Bob Ward

I will be looking into the coconut oil issue immediately due to the high cost of corn oil and other traditional favorites. But the debate is sill on regarding the pro and cons of the product due to it's high saturated fat content. Google it!

Stranded Shipscook

I will be looking into the coconut oil issue immediately due to the high cost of corn oil and other traditional favorites. But the debate is sill on regarding the pro and cons of the product due to it's high saturated fat content. Google it!

If one is on health conscious he should not deep fry at all. And fry "oil free" as much as possible well.

And in my eyes most of the debates are sheer blabla. I just remember the heat against the butter in the 70ties. And many other topics about cholesterol which then suddenly were proven nonsense. ( and probably initiated by the producers of certain products themselves in order to promote their product )

Not that health and healthy lifestyle is important, but to blast against one or promote one certain oil is almost fanatical. All have pros and cons.

What is more important ( and thats what counts) is the temperature resistance and "burn"(Smoke Point) temp of an oil, because "burned" oil is definitely not only ugly in taste, but proven (by empiric studies) harmful to health.

Coconut oil has the best temperature/economic values here in the Philippines.

Edited by Guenther
KennyF

Coconut oil has the best temperature/economic values here in the Philippines.

Rice bran oil smoke point is reputed to be just over 250c while extra virgin coconut oil comes in at about 180c.

Refined Canola (rape seed oil) is very low too at around 200c.

Talking about butter, ghee has a high smoke point too, about the same as rice bran oil.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Rice bran oil smoke point is reputed to be just over 250c while extra virgin coconut oil comes in at about 180c.

Refined Canola (rape seed oil) is very low too at around 200c.

Talking about butter, ghee has a high smoke point too, about the same as rice bran oil.

KonGC

But the price .... :D But then again it also depends on the kind of preparation one wants. Simple deep frying or frying should be flavor neutral in most cases.

Butter is fantastis as well as Lard, which i use a lot for certain preparations but not for general cooking , which was the OP's question i understood.

KennyF

But the price .... :D

Rice bran oil is priced OK in Australia and reasonable in Thailand too but I can't say what the price is in RP.

Or even if it's available in RP

I sometimes forget what country I'm in when things like this are discussed.

By the way, I hear that duck fat makes the best chips and I just noticed my local supermarket sells duck fat.

Guess what's for dinner Monday night.

Now, what goes well with chips....

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Rice bran oil is priced OK in Australia and reasonable in Thailand too but I can't say what the price is in RP.

Or even if it's available in RP

I sometimes forget what country I'm in when things like this are discussed.

By the way, I hear that duck fat makes the best chips and I just noticed my local supermarket sells duck fat.

Guess what's for dinner Monday night.

Now, what goes well with chips....

KonGC

never tried, not enough fat ducks anyway in the PI. but lemme know.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

best fries ever... goose grease

KennyF

Back in a previous life I had a small restaurant in Thailand and we used to cook chips and battered items in 50/50 vegetable oil and lard.

We bought great big globs of lard straight from the butcher for something like 25 cents a kilo (they thought we were nuts) and rendered it ourselves.

All the "framework" left once we poured off the freshly rendered lard we gave to the local guys who promptly bought a bottle of Mekong rum and had a mini party.

Now there's a diet, rum and lard. Yeh.

KonGC

Kodiak570

But the price .... :scratch_head: But then again it also depends on the kind of preparation one wants. Simple deep frying or frying should be flavor neutral in most cases.

Butter is fantastis as well as Lard, which i use a lot for certain preparations but not for general cooking , which was the OP's question i understood.

Chef Guenther,

Is the margarine/butter available in RP suitable for making roux (gravy/stew) base? I will be missing some home made items during my extended stay and wonder if anyone has already solved the problem. If not, I will offer my skills at taste testing, cooking, and recipe knowledge if someone has a kitchen to use! I may even be convinced to clean up for the low, low price of a beer or three! LOL!

KennyF

Chef Guenther,

Is the margarine/butter available in RP suitable for making roux (gravy/stew) base? I will be missing some home made items during my extended stay and wonder if anyone has already solved the problem. If not, I will offer my skills at taste testing, cooking, and recipe knowledge if someone has a kitchen to use! I may even be convinced to clean up for the low, low price of a beer or three! LOL!

You can buy salted and unsalted butter here from Australia, Denmark. New Zealand etc.

Various brands of European, American, New Zealand and Australia margarine and several brands of ghee.

So I guess you could knock up a roux or toux.

If you think you will miss some ingredients you had perhaps best list the items as you might just find them on the supermarket shelf here.

LinC boast several chef de cuisine as regular posters.

I forgot to mention that you will also find at least 4 grades of flour.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF
Stranded Shipscook

Chef Guenther,

I wasn't online, but kenny answered that already. I use butter. ( "The secret of life", as was once mentioned by a "Chef" in a funny movie )

Anchor, Magnolia, all good. make sure the store you buy has a good turnover and cooling chain.if you need anything, PM me and i try to let you know some sources or replacements..

Edited by Guenther