COOKING DRY BEANS HERE

cebubird

RogerDat

Greetings! I tried the bicarbonate and soaked half a bag of hard to cook beans left over from last month for 5 hours.

They came out smooth as paste, like Luck's caned beans in the states. I noted many skins floating so it really works.

Thanks for the tip as I got a whole drawer of these antiques my wife picked up at the Family Dollar store and shipped here.

• 4 months later...

I copied this from another site and it may explain why the beans bought here don't seem to soften up like the ones in our home countries.

As someone who has been storing food since 2005, I'd like to say something about beans. Dried beans would seem to be the perfect emergency storage food. But in practice, I have found they are not. Once your pinto beans are about a year old, you can boil them for a week and they will not take on water and soften like they should.

Now, research on this is a mixed bag. Many sites don't even mention this. IF you can store them in an oxygen-free environment they may do better. If you can store them below room temperature, they may do better.

But it does suck to find out that you have 50 lbs of pintos you cannot eat. I did plant them and the deer did like them when they grew up. Perhaps that is a long term convert-to-protein strategy.

So it's likely the beans we buy here are simply past their shelf life.

afmayer

I copied this from another site and it may explain why the beans bought here don't seem to soften up like the ones in our home countries.

So it's likely the beans we buy here are simply past their shelf life.

Shelf life? I learned something new. I always thought dried beans last indefinitely. Of all the beans I have bought here, I found the white beans (1 kg bags) I get at S&R will soften up the best after soaking and cooking. A little salt seems to help them soften up better. I use them in a variety of bean dishes. The red kidney beans here are useless because they never seem to lose that hard shell no matter how long I soak or cook.

Used bottled water! NO salt till they are cooked.

Shelf life? I learned something new. I always thought dried beans last indefinitely.

The shelf life of dried beans depends on their storage conditions. In general, beans will last longer when stored in dark, cool places and in sealed containers than they will in the plastic bags in which they are sold.

Basics

o When stored in normal polyethylene (food-grade) bags, beans will last at least one year.

Potential

o According to Randy Duckworth, executive director of the U.S. Dry Bean Council, beans can last two years or more when sealed in a container and stored in a cool, dry place.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5771762_shelf-life-dried-beans.html

Used bottled water! NO salt till they are cooked.

Tap water should be all that's necessary though.

I suspect the beans we have here for the most part have either been sitting in a wharehouse for months on end before reaching the supermarket shelf or more likely old stock imported from another country.

cebubird

I probably wouldnt comment on this again except recently I have tried 2 more times. Bought some navy beans fron S&R-same issue.

Last week bought a small bag from Gaisano Ayala-tried yesterday and same result again. Soaked them 10 hours, then cooked for FIVE hours-still hard-grteat flavor and I ate, but not done.

Lord Blacknail says he has no trouble-Sam at Campfire grill told me he now uses a pressure cooker and his come ok.

Bill

afmayer
I probably wouldnt comment on this again except recently I have tried 2 more times. Bought some navy beans fron S&R-same issue.

I buy the 1 kg bags of white beans from S&R (same as Navy beans?). They are the only beans I have found here that will soften after soaking and cook up soft with no hard shell. However, it does take longer to soak and cook them, then beans bought in the states.

Tap water should be all that's necessary though.

I suspect the beans we have here for the most part have either been sitting in a wharehouse for months on end before reaching the supermarket shelf or more likely old stock imported from another country.

Mate, Google dried beans and hard water. The minerals in the water bond with the skin and make a somewhat impenetrable outer shell. I assume that the tap water here is as hard as the well water we have available?

afmayer

Mate, Google dried beans and hard water. The minerals in the water bond with the skin and make a somewhat impenetrable outer shell. I assume that the tap water here is as hard as the well water we have available?

If bottled water is used, (reverse osmosis), hard water is not the problem. However, if tap water is used, adding some baking soda will help.

• 1 month later...

Cooked red kidney beans for the first time today.

Soaked 20 hours in bottled water, with nothing but chilli added

Changed water more bottled, and added more chilli and magic sarap

Boiled hard for 20 minutes, then 40 of simmer.

Still hard

Boiled 40 more minutes with a chicken stock cude added.

Still hard.

So I reckon I have the same problem as the OP. I never had this problem in Europe.

And FWIW many internet articles warn against cooking red kidney beans in a slow cooker, as the lower tempertaures will not break down the toxin in them. Some claim it actually makes it worse.

Pressure Cooker. Pressure Cooker . I will try adding baking soda to reduce further the cooking times. I suspect the problem with the beans is they are old when purchased by bulk supplier, and then transported here, then stored here before repacked, then they sit on the shelf ... waiting for us Foreigners to purchase. I never have problem with mongo beans being hard .. do you?

RogerDat

Greetings! A pressure cooker is the way to go. Soak 4 hours in water and soda, change water, add more soda and tablespoon cooking oil ONLY, no salt. The oil stops them from foaming, a very bad experence and major mess., cook 15-20 min, then test. if still crunchy, add water, let cool to stop scorching, cook 15 more. After tinder, add meat, spices, and simmer, do not pressure cook as it will burn the third time.

I cook monthly, every batch is diffrent, from here or the US They are all the leavings of Hunts, and Campbals bean co.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1