COOKING DRY BEANS HERE

cebubird

cebubird

We shipped bags of dry beans over here before we moved last year, and each bag we tried to cook either split while soaking or cooked forever and still stayed hard.

Several weeks ago bought some red beans at S&R -soaked for 10 hours-cooked for FOUR(4)hours with same results.

I have soaked in tap water and soaked in drinking(purified)water and get same results each time.

Anyone have a suggestion??

PLEASE!! Im a southern boy and miss my beans(lots of other things too)

Bill

Lordblacknail

We brought two hundred pounds of pinto beans, have no issue at all in cooking them in the bottled water that comes in the five gallon size. Have beans, taters and corn bread all the time.

I haven't seen any dried blackeyed peas here, but brought three cases of canned ones. If you find any, please holler.

Kodiak570

Here you go:

Don't season until already tender - salt, vinegar, anything on them til almost done cooking.

NO SALT When Cooking Dried Beans

Add NO SALT until the beans are tender and cooked completely. Adding salt will prevent the beans from absorbing water. This is because a bean has an opening that is large enough for water molecules to enter it, but salt molecules are larger and will plug the bean opening, preventing the water to enter... thus you have HARD beans that never seem to cook right. Some say the bean is TOUGH, but the scientific reality is that the bean only got to absorb the water you soaked it in and not the water you cooked it in.

How To Cook Dried Beans

How To Cook Dried Beans - How To Soak Dried Beans

shadow

No soaking needed, cook for 20 minutes or until skins start to fall off in water with baking soda, one teaspoon per liter of water. Wash beans, the skins will "float" off the top. Cook an additional 20-40 minutes until tender. Add butter, salt, pepper, etc. to taste. Start to finish abut an hour and a half!

Larry in Dumaguete

cebubird

Well , I have cooked them all my adult life and always the same way-but that isnt working here.

Found blackeys,red beans and pinto beans one time at Ayala Gaisano.

Just found white beans and red at S&R.

Bill

I put my beans in a crockpot let them cook over night on the low setting and they come out just fine.

Edited by Terp
ellenbrook2001

hello beans problems yes sure you live them soak overnight disregard the water then cook them with new water then when the water start boling Just add one teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda it will help i know i am a french chef but your beans must be too old also happy cooking

GILBERT

RogerDat

Greetings! I have a pressure cooker. I soak 4 to 8 hours, then change water, cook 15 minuets with NO nothing but beans and water. I check and if still crunchy, I cook another 15 minuets AFTER steam causes top to spin.

Check again, if soft THEN I add spices and finish cooking.

AND THEY DON'T BURN OR STICK!!!! Love my pressure cooker, saves a fortune in cooking gas. (1 hour or less verses 4 hours cooking time)

Gaisano Mactan has red, whit, brown beans, and green and brown local peas located on end of egg isle near rice.

Now if I could get some salt pork!

RogerDat

Greetings again! I just remembered a report by Hinze food company I think, it mentioned HTC Beans, ( hard to cook)

was their term for old super dry beans, soaking without salt or spices, cooking with fresh water, and cook till tender before adding to their recipe's was their procedure.

AGAIN WHERE IS THE SALT PORK???

JamesMusslewhite

The standard Full Soaking process as you know is to rinse beans in cold water, picking out any shrunken ones as well as pebbles or grass (beans are very much a product of the earth and even the highest-quality brands may have dust and little rocks in them). Place in a pot with at least three cups of water for every cup of beans--refrigerate overnight. Discard any beans that float to the top--these are most likely hollow or in some way sullied. Some problems may be that the beans were simply over- dried, store long term in excessive heat, or the local water (being too hard or soft) may even be the problem. I often wonder about the irradiation practices during packaging and during x-ray shipping-container searches could somehow be effecting beans and other foods on their trip to the market shelves.

Perhaps you should try using the Quick soak method. Rinse and pick through beans, then place them in a pot with enough cold water to cover them by two inches. Bring to a boil, cap the pot with a snug-fitting lid, remove from the heat and let sit for one hour. You can either keep the cooking water and proceed with your recipe, or you can drain the beans and start again with fresh water.

soak at least 12 hrs

refresh water,

add bicarbonate

and then the trick.... SLOWLY boil (Simmer)

then once done, let cool down in the boil water

and try fresher, rather then older dry beans

KennyF

Cebu city water has an extremely high calcium content.

Could that be a problem?

Maybe try one time in Absolute distilled bottled water.

Just a thought.

KonGC

Kodiak570

Greetings again! I just remembered a report by Hinze food company I think, it mentioned HTC Beans, ( hard to cook)

was their term for old super dry beans, soaking without salt or spices, cooking with fresh water, and cook till tender before adding to their recipe's was their procedure.

AGAIN WHERE IS THE SALT PORK???

Home Made Salt Pork Recipe

cebubird

Thanks fellows-I have thought about the water issue, but have not tried distilled-just purified. Also have not tried the baking soda in the water..

Also thought about the old bean issue, so thought the ones bought in S&R would alleviate that issue.

Anyway, have half of the last bag purchased and will try longer soak with the bicarbonate.

Seems like I remember Sam at Campfire, telling me that he soaked his all night long and they came out all right..

Interestingly, the blackeyes I shipped from US came out fine, just not the big limas and the kidney.

Bill

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I put my beans in a crockpot let them cook over night on the low setting and they come out just fine.

crockpots/slow cookers

are one of the greatest inventions of all time