Sign in to follow this  
billten

Can't get on LinC

billten

Several of us Globe users lately have had very patchy connections with the LinC forum. I tried a few simple things and want to report what fixed it for me. First, I should mention that i am using Ubuntu, not Windoze so you will have to modify the instructions accordingly. I tracked the problem back to an issue Globe has been having with their DNS servers. So i bypassed their DNS server by using the public DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 offered for free by google. To do this i modified the settings in the network manager for IPv4 to Automatic PPP (Addresses only). Then i simply entered the DNS address of the google server.

post-21-0-43231400-1312094306_thumb.png

musicman666

yeah im on globe and connection has been real patchy of late..... i find a clear of the cache can get me on but this is a fairly recent problem.. never used to happen ever before.

cebubird

"Funny" we have been having this problem with Globe.

Today I had more "fun" with Globe "reliability".

Had phone call this morning from them about my bill. They never send me one and only after they call me and ask for email address again will they send one that way.

So this morning in the midst of the girl asking for email, the line went dead.

I have called back 5/6 times today and each time their automated answering/routing system cuts me off and wont accept the numbers punched and just hangs up on me.

Wow!!!! What a service----Cant even keep their phone lines in main office working.

Bill

A_Simple_Man

This is getting old fast. Do the forum statistics tell you how many connections are coming in via Globe? Are they way down?

I still have to disconnect from my Globe Tattoo and go back to my SmartBro dongle to get onto this site. Because my Globe is Prepaid they do not let me change the DNS. I have tried via their profile options, via my network settings and a combination of both. Any changes will not let me access any sites at all. Leaving things alone will let me view every other site I have tried EXCEPT LinC. And its getting worse. Before I could keep clicking refresh and eventually get through. I tried to clean my cache to see if that helped and now there is absolutely no way for me to get through to LinC via Globe Tattoo.

Sure I can access it the way I am doing now, but everything else I do on the Net is way faster with Globe. Since Admin uses Globe so personally I thought he might have some pull with them to figure out why this site does not register.

HeyMike

This really blows. The only way for me to get on the forums now is through my proxy program; Hotspot Shield. I will try Tim's solution tomorrow. WTF happened?

USMC-Retired

Hide my ass proxy works well. There are other solutions. Foxyproxy and use an IP from:

US Proxy List

billten

This is getting old fast. Do the forum statistics tell you how many connections are coming in via Globe? Are they way down?

I still have to disconnect from my Globe Tattoo and go back to my SmartBro dongle to get onto this site. Because my Globe is Prepaid they do not let me change the DNS. I have tried via their profile options, via my network settings and a combination of both. Any changes will not let me access any sites at all. Leaving things alone will let me view every other site I have tried EXCEPT LinC. And its getting worse. Before I could keep clicking refresh and eventually get through. I tried to clean my cache to see if that helped and now there is absolutely no way for me to get through to LinC via Globe Tattoo.

Sure I can access it the way I am doing now, but everything else I do on the Net is way faster with Globe. Since Admin uses Globe so personally I thought he might have some pull with them to figure out why this site does not register.

You can change your DNS using globe tattoo, but you have to abandon your tattoo software and configure a dial up networking adapter to make the connection. Its really pretty simple to do and you copy all the settings from the tattoo software.

A_Simple_Man

You can change your DNS using globe tattoo, but you have to abandon your tattoo software and configure a dial up networking adapter to make the connection. Its really pretty simple to do and you copy all the settings from the tattoo software.

You make it sound simple and inviting. I'm sure once I do it I will agree with that assessment, but can you give a point by point or a web link on what to do to start? I'm a point 'n click, plug 'n play kinda guy and always worried about installing or uninstalling the wrong crap.

cebubird

LOL!!!!

All of these good instructions are only helpful if one is advanced beyond pre-kindergarten level in pc usage

, which I am not.

Bill

USMC-Retired

Hidemy ass is the easy way. It is online proxy service.

A_Simple_Man

Hidemy ass is the easy way. It is online proxy service.

But that costs money, right? And you may think its easy but I looked at that before and . . for me its not.

Problem is still . . some of us cannot get on LinC via Globe. I guess we will all have to wait 'for a while, sir' until it miraculously starts working.

USMC-Retired

Proxy Web Site FREE!!

Follow the above link it will get you on the site. It is free.

post-1477-0-22761900-1312964769_thumb.png

A_Simple_Man

Proxy Web Site FREE!!

Follow the above link it will get you on the site. It is free.

post-1477-0-22761900-1312964769_thumb.png

And it works, Thank you. I signed out of Smart and onto globe to try it. Easy. Now I have that site bookmarked.

Funny thing is, at this moment in time, after many days of trouble, the Globe ISP actually hooked me up to LinC without any proxy. Fingers crossed that they have their shit together now.

musicman666

And it works, Thank you. I signed out of Smart and onto globe to try it. Easy. Now I have that site bookmarked.

Funny thing is, at this moment in time, after many days of trouble, the Globe ISP actually hooked me up to LinC without any proxy. Fingers crossed that they have their shit together now.

yeah i just got on to linc after a day or so of not being able to...... also my torrent sites refused to download as well... and now suddenly everything is working again .. globe is starting to piss me off a bit.