Brit pounds sterling in Cebu

udonthani

it can be necessary to carry 30,000 pesos on occasion. You're going to the Camotes for two weeks, you have to do it. But if you want to buy a beach lot there, think twice about using cash.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• sperry

• broden

• lazydays

• Admin (Retired)
broden

it's just not a good idea to bring large amounts of cash with you, as in thousands, or tens of thousands. Armed guards don't stand outside every 7/11 and small convenience stores in the Philippines because they like dressing up and playing soldiers.

oh wait. Maybe it's partly that, but I digress . . .

the trouble with the Philippines, is that travellers cheques are almost unusable compared to the other Asian countries. I never bothered with a bank card before I came to the Philippines. I had no need for one. In the UK I take all my money, and pay almost all my bills, with cash. If I wanted to go to Thailand for four months, I'd just get the requisite number of travellers cheques in £200 denominations, knowing that I could cash them in every single bank in the country. In the Philippines, you can't do this - hence I got a bank card. I've never used it, not once, in any other place except the Philippines. In the Philippines, I need it. Everywhere else, I don't.

if you carry a lot of cash it's best not to tell people about it .. doesn't matter where in the world you are.. doesn't matter if you tell people on a forum or in other ways either

Alan S

True story (albeit slightly off-topic).

Back in the early 80's I was staying in a hotel in Manila.

Each morning a German guy would sit down for breakfast wearing one of those jackets beloved by photographers with innumerable pockets (the jacket not the photographers).

The first thing he did was to unload all the pockets taking cash out of each of them and sorting it into piles on the table.

He then packed it back in his pockets, apparently with a different denomination in each pocket.

Everyone noticed (it was hard not to), and many commented on it.

He then ate his breakfast before leaving the hotel.

The 4th morning he walked out the hotel and 100 yards along the road someone knocked him on the head, and emptied his pockets.

Apparently he had over £3,000 on him!

With that level of stupidity, he didnt deserve to have any money!

In fact, I can imagine a similar thing happening in many countries, including parts of the UK.

So, if you do have lots of cash (and for many people, that is over a few hundred Peso),

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

To each his own. In my mind the greatest innovation in international travel in the last quarter century is the advent of being able to use your ATM card from home. And in many places it gives about the best exchange rate.

True story (albeit slightly off-topic).

Back in the early 80's I was staying in a hotel in Manila.

Each morning a German guy would sit down for breakfast wearing one of those jackets beloved by photographers with innumerable pockets (the jacket not the photographers).

The first thing he did was to unload all the pockets taking cash out of each of them and sorting it into piles on the table.

He then packed it back in his pockets, apparently with a different denomination in each pocket.

Everyone noticed (it was hard not to), and many commented on it.

He then ate his breakfast before leaving the hotel.

The 4th morning he walked out the hotel and 100 yards along the road someone knocked him on the head, and emptied his pockets.

Apparently he had over £3,000 on him!

With that level of stupidity, he didnt deserve to have any money!

In fact, I can imagine a similar thing happening in many countries, including parts of the UK.

So, if you do have lots of cash (and for many people, that is over a few hundred Peso),

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Its cultural. Germans carry cash. Not dangerous when you live in such a law abiding country.

when i lived in Germany mid eighties, cheques were virtually unknown only eurocheques if i remember correctly which were a funny trans european cheque that was barely accepted anywhere. And credit cards? maybe amex but thats about it. And this was in Frankfurt the banking centre of west germany.

when you received a bill, u got a bit of paper like a punched card which you took to your bank who did something with it to initiate payment. i doubt if it was possible to send a cheque.

udonthani

when I worked on that farm in Bozen area, they just gave you the Italian lira in 10,000 lira notes cash for the month's work every year. Quite a big wedge of cash. I could have asked to be paid in Deutschmarks or even Swiss Francs if I'd have wanted to (the area is German, not Italian) but I never did. Italian lira were never that difficult to exchange, and for the only time in my life I could claim I was a cash millionaire.

Stranded Shipscook

Its cultural. Germans carry cash. Not dangerous when you live in such a law abiding country.

when i lived in Germany mid eighties, cheques were virtually unknown only eurocheques if i remember correctly which were a funny trans european cheque that was barely accepted anywhere. And credit cards? maybe amex but thats about it. And this was in Frankfurt the banking centre of west germany.

when you received a bill, u got a bit of paper like a punched card which you took to your bank who did something with it to initiate payment. i doubt if it was possible to send a cheque.

hehehe, you are absolutely right, that were funny days without the plastic money, although the EC card and EC cheque were fine anywhere. Also the banking pay system system was good.On that tear off slip you just fill in your account nbr and sign and the bills got paid. Free of charge. Immediately too. regular bills like Rent,electric ,taxes were automatically withdrawn from your account, no headaches at all, no "forgetting".

Those days are gone, now everybody got master and Visa automatically. Now Germans are also having the "overspending" and "overcredit" problem, which never was an issue before. The dangers of credit cards....

Stranded Shipscook

Hi

The most you can take into the Phills is about £6500, depending on exchange rate.

I have never had problems changing £50 notes.

I found the best exchange rates I could get were on the terraces in Ayala, I think it was on the second level.

I hope this helps you have a good time

The maximum currency you can take into the Phills is $10,000 so if you divide this by the exchange rate for £ you will have a better idea.

That is not entirely correct, one just has to declare the excess amount in the entry declaration form, then one can bring in as much foreign cash as he likes. And i'd advise to do that too, if the case, because one can not bring OUT more than 10.000 US $ easily. he has to declare where its from.

same in the US and other countries, it has to do with the money laundering laws and later in addition the anti terror laws.