Brit pounds sterling in Cebu

Headshot

avoid exchanging money at Mactan airport, the rates are terrible, unlike at NAIA in Manila where they're just about OK. To give you some idea how bad they are, I had about 100 Malaysian ringgit I wanted to get rid of, at the airport they would only give me 11.5 for 1, at Consolacion mall same day they paid 14.

That is kind of tough for somebody coming here for the first time. He will need pesos for taxi fare.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• sperry

• broden

• lazydays

KennyF

Maybe I'm crazy but I just don't feel good with the whole of my holiday cash in bank notes in my pocket.

And money belts? Come on now, who am I, Bat Masterson?

My MO is to grab a few pesos at the airport ATM. Seeing it's a fixed charge I grab 10,000 pesos.

I then buy something like a tray of 12 Mr Donuts for the check in and bar staff at the hotel.

If I need to, I buy a SIM and some load too.

At the same time this breaks up the big ATM bills, normally 1,000 and 500 notes, into smaller taxi money.

Then as I need it I grab more cash in 10,000 lots from whatever ATM I'm near (and there are literally hundreds of them).

I pay for purchases, including hotel bill where possible, with my Visa debit. Best exchange and no charges.

Sure it costs a few bucks extra, but what the hell, we're talking holiday here, not moving to the RP.

KonGC

Maybe I'm crazy but I just don't feel good with the whole of my holiday cash in bank notes in my pocket.

And money belts? Come on now, who am I, Bat Masterson?

My MO is to grab a few pesos at the airport ATM. Seeing it's a fixed charge I grab 10,000 pesos.

I then buy something like a tray of 12 Mr Donuts for the check in and bar staff at the hotel.

If I need to, I buy a SIM and some load too.

At the same time this breaks up the big ATM bills, normally 1,000 and 500 notes, into smaller taxi money.

Then as I need it I grab more cash in 10,000 lots from whatever ATM I'm near (and there are literally hundreds of them).

I pay for purchases, including hotel bill where possible, with my Visa debit. Best exchange and no charges.

Sure it costs a few bucks extra, but what the hell, we're talking holiday here, not moving to the RP.

KonGC

The big advantage of cash is it leaves no traces, and that sometimes trumps all other aspects.

passingby

50's are no problem and I would recommend the money changer INSIDE the Raja hotel at Fuente Circle close to the McDonalds. It has the best rate of any in that general area and being inside you have security and can "Hide" your peso before going out to the street. If you worry, the CR is right next to the money changer. Use a money belt OR one of the pouches that loops onto the belt and then is placed inside the pants - no problem. Banks and Ayala Mall places usually have a higher commission rate than the one in the Raja or even in Robinson across the street which is also good.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Unlike US dollars, there's no 'sliding scale' with pounds - you don't get a better rate for 50s than you will for 5s, as you will for USD 100s as opposed to 1s.

i wonder why that is

udonthani

That is kind of tough for somebody coming here for the first time. He will need pesos for taxi fare.

they can use the ATM I suppose. Also you might be able to talk a driver into accepting US dollars, but not anything else. I did that at Clark once when I arrived and the forex booth was closed.

if it is open, the Clark forex booth rate is also not that bad, like NAIA's. I'm guessing Terminal 3 is also not bad. It's only Mactan among the int'l airports where the rates stand out as being poor. I suppose Davao must have a forex booth as well.

I don't see why anyone would want to take "cash only" to the Philippines and not use a bank card.

Ridicilous.

I don't see why anyone would want to take "cash only" to the Philippines and not use a bank card.

Ridicilous.

here's four.

comes on business trip. wants to take a quick 48 hour jump to angeles. dont want hotel in angeles appearing on company or shared credit account with wife.

taking dia chat mate to boracay.

has seen that it take several months to be recredited after erroneous credit card debit, and doesnt trust pi banking system

needs credit car v badly just aftre pi trip and cant risk losing in atm machine.

there are millions of reasons

udonthani

48 hours, sure, yeah take cash. 118 days, think twice about it.

And it's easy to get DIA Filipinas on to planes, even for the first time they've ever flown. Send them their ticket and the taxi fare, terminal fee, etc and they'll meet you in Cebu with them coming down from Manila, when you coming up from say Cagayan de Oro. They can't exchange the ticket for cash, even if they wanted to, so they might as well get on the aircraft if they can spare the time. Just make sure your plane comes in before hers does and meet her as she exits the terminal. I did that without a single hitch. Not difficult.

robert 999

May I thank everyone especially Sperry, for the helpful, astute and intelligent replies to my post , except for Zamora who writes:

Ridicilous.

I find your "ridicilous" remark unfounded and provocative.

Over many years I have lived in and travelled to a number of Asian cities and there are sound legitimate and common sense reasons for me wanting to use cash when in these places and on my travels and it also also often suits suppliers of goods and services etc.

Also I did not specifically say "cash only" if you bothered to read my post properly.

May I respectfully suggest that if Zamora has nothing useful or positive to contribute then kindly refrain from making obnoxious comments,

Edited by robert 999
udonthani

it's just not a good idea to bring large amounts of cash with you, as in thousands, or tens of thousands. Armed guards don't stand outside every 7/11 and small convenience stores in the Philippines because they like dressing up and playing soldiers.

oh wait. Maybe it's partly that, but I digress . . .

the trouble with the Philippines, is that travellers cheques are almost unusable compared to the other Asian countries. I never bothered with a bank card before I came to the Philippines. I had no need for one. In the UK I take all my money, and pay almost all my bills, with cash. If I wanted to go to Thailand for four months, I'd just get the requisite number of travellers cheques in £200 denominations, knowing that I could cash them in every single bank in the country. In the Philippines, you can't do this - hence I got a bank card. I've never used it, not once, in any other place except the Philippines. In the Philippines, I need it. Everywhere else, I don't.

Alan S

There was a time, before "plastic" was commonly used in the Philippines, that I used to take a few thousand £ with me.

Yes, there is a risk but with care and common sense, it can be done.

Now, there is no need to do so, and bank cards can be used most places.

(With some reservations, in that certain cards arent accepted everywhere.)

Travellers cheques are still " no go" though.

Englishman_on_Tour

One issue I might have with taking a large quantity of cash to PI is whom I might be alerting on an open forum which anyone can read, just something to think about.

Personally I've never had a problem (yet) with taking a couple of £k although I wouldn't be so comfortable if that was the vast majority of my funds (back-up funds is a must). Wherever I've stayed I've always kept the bulk of my cash under lock and key without any problems, I will however leave a 'dummy' wallet laying around with a few other negligible bits (like old cell phone) as a distraction should I be staying in the wrong place, again I've never had a problem yet. If I ever need to carry a large amount when out and about I'll always use a taxi, also carrying a 'dummy' wallet in case the worst should happen. The majority of the time there's no need to be carry large amounts.

If this is your first trip to Cebu, I'd suggest exchanging circa £100 before leaving UK, you wont get the same exchange rate as you would in Cebu but I think the relatively small loss is worth it. It's a long old trek and if you're anything like me, you'll just want to get out of the airport ASAP and get to wherever you're staying. So long as you're not staying anywhere over-expensive, £100 should be good for at least 2 days/nights, enough time to recover from the long flight and start finding your bearings.

Enjoy your trip.

udonthani

I could definitely handle quite a few thousand cash if need be. However I'd prefer not to need to do this.

the bank charges are a pain but it's better than carrying round lots of cash all the time. Also remember, some of us move around quite a lot. You can't possibly carry around 2500 pesos per day for 118 days and tour round the Philippines, get on ferries and sleep, sleep in cheap pensions where the security might be a bit dodgy but you haven't got much choice to go somewhere else.

travellers cheques are good if you happen to be in a place where they can be used easily. The idea is, this is your money, you have four grand, and you have four months to spend it. It's your budget. This is the money you have, and that's it.

with bank cards, you can overdraw or take out loans. Which might seem like a good thing while you're there, but can turn out to be a real drag, because if you borrow too much, and have to pay it back, it could be quite a long time before you go back, or indeed go anywhere.

Englishman_on_Tour

I could definitely handle quite a few thousand cash if need be. However I'd prefer not to need to do this.

the bank charges are a pain but it's better than carrying round lots of cash all the time. Also remember, some of us move around quite a lot. You can't possibly carry around 2500 pesos per day for 118 days and tour round the Philippines, get on ferries and sleep, sleep in cheap pensions where the security might be a bit dodgy but you haven't got much choice to go somewhere else.

Your reply is straight after mine, although you're not quoting me I'm assuming your reply somewhat pertains to my post.

Some people dont sleep well when travelling, I'm one of them. I sleep even less well when carrying large sums of money, ferries have never been an issue, I've always felt safe. A to B on land is a different matter, just apply common sense. I do agree if you're going to be staying in cheap 'unknown' pensions though, I dont mind risking the odd night as I dont expect to be going far, maybe that's when I will actually carry my money on me. Each to their own.