2 Internet providers / 1 computer

USMC-Retired

I know people were looking for some sorta solution to this. I ran across some software that seems to be able to do this. To me it does not seem that possible. Yet here they say they can control certian in and out traffic and actually make your speed seem faster.

The analogy I used was it is hard to walk through two doors at the same time.

I hope someone can test this out. As many users would be interested including myself.

Octopus2.jpg

Paul

Software? Why not just use a load balancing router? Forgive my ignorance, but does this product do something that a load balancing router would not?

RV042_network_topology.jpg

miles-high

A load balancing router is the proven, most reliable way to do this… you would also get higher redundancy as well… :yourock:

USMC-Retired

Right however most do not own would purchase it. Plus this will give a free try to see if works. Also load balancing router is a little different as this will control packets or so it says. As where the router finds the best path for use.

Jim in Cebu

Probably a decade ago I read an article about a computer enthusiast who used a multiplexer to "combine" his and his neighbor's WiFi bandwidths for his use. The article explained the details of how he did this. It was hardware based. (I haven't heard the term "multiplexer" in a long time -- did it evolve into the "load balancing router"?)

Octopus+ sounds somewhat like a software implementation of multiplexing using the PC for processing.

USMC-Retired

Probably a decade ago I read an article about a computer enthusiast who used a multiplexer to "combine" his and his neighbor's WiFi bandwidths for his use. The article explained the details of how he did this. It was hardware based. (I haven't heard the term "multiplexer" in a long time -- did it evolve into the "load balancing router"?)

Octopus+ sounds somewhat like a software implementation of multiplexing using the PC for processing.

That is eactly what it does.

• 1 month later...

Multiplexing is now called multihoming and I believe if you install custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato firmware on your router it will support it.... I believe the protocol is BGP (check their respective websites to see the supported list of router models.. usually cheap linksys routers).. I may be wrong as I've never done it myself, but it is technically possible. Also, try looking through http://www.google.com/search?q=multihoming+router for more info... I recall there were a lot of options for this back in the 56k modem days...