new Friends

Stranded Shipscook

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=658668&publicationSubCategoryId=67

MANILA, Philippines - Never trust strangers.

A German woman learned this lesson after losing P280,000 withdrawn from her bank and credit cards by four women who had befriended her and tagged her along on a trip up north.

In her report to the German embassy, the victim, who came to the country alone, said two women, identifying themselves as Emma and Veronica, approached her while she was looking for a travel guide in a bookstore in Malate, Manila last Jan. 30.

The two women, who she thought were friendly and helpful, invited her to join them on a trip to Alaminos, Pangasinan and Baguio City.

Two other women, a certain Joy and Hanna, joined them at the Pasay City bus station the next day. During their entire trip, the victim recalled feeling extremely dizzy and drained which she merely blamed on the weather conditions.

On Feb. 3, they checked in at Pines Hotel in Baguio. The four women left her alone claiming they would look for a cheaper hotel but the next day they were gone.

The victim continued her trip to Sagada, Mt. Province and there discovered that her bank and credit cards were used on Feb. 1-3. Transaction records showed that her cards were used 28 times at the ATM outlets of two banks in Alaminos, with a total of P280,000 plus transaction fees withdrawn.

washingtonian88

Poor lady.....

At least she wasn't hurt ... physically that is.

She's braver than I am. I would never travel alone.

How did these other women get her to give them her ATM PIN ...? I have heard about a drug or pill that if someone have you take it, you'd end up doing or telling what is asked of you/or information ....

(Well, I assume at least the credit cards can be disputed *fraud protection built in to it etc... )

If purchases were made using the credit card, the stores should have been alerted because stores usually ask for identification and the victim being German -she'd have a German sounding name too.

Anyway, too much for asking details... I hope the authority will catch these bad girls. I don't think that's the way to treat a tourist.

Stranded Shipscook

Poor lady.....

At least she wasn't hurt ... physically that is.

She's braver than I am. I would never travel alone.

How did these other women get her to give them her ATM PIN ...? I have heard about a drug or pill that if someone have you take it, you'd end up doing or telling what is asked of you/or information ....

(Well, I assume at least the credit cards can be disputed *fraud protection built in to it etc... )

If purchases were made using the credit card, the stores should have been alerted because stores usually ask for identification and the victim being German -she'd have a German sounding name too.

Anyway, too much for asking details... I hope the authority will catch these bad girls. I don't think that's the way to treat a tourist.

This wasn't reported, but i assume they drugged her somehow. Now to the shopping- there are scrupulous dealers as well as expats* which actually do the shopping for those syndicated credit card theft. As it appears, those were not chance criminals. Rather organized.

* It was rampant in the eighties, broke foreign travelers shopping for syndicates, mainly Thailand organized, shopping was then in SIN or HKG, the stores were involved too..Back then a stolen card was only reported in th nation lost and later put on alert eveywhere else. The Praxis disappeared slowly with the more and more online credit card business but in those days there was not internet and worldwide connections as it is now.

Headshot

Some people are really casual around an ATM machine with their "friends." All they had to do was talk to her while she was using the ATM (while memorizing her pin number), and then steal the card from her purse in her room before leaving her alone for the night. No drugs were necessary. I am actually surprised that they were able to withdraw that much money from her account in a 24-hour period without some kind of fraud trigger being activated at her bank. It would be easy to get that amount by using the ATM's for several banks here, but the computer at her home bank should have caught it (as something unusual). Generally, you have no protection from your bank if your pin number was used in the transaction. You are expected to keep your pin number secure. Using a pin number is just like putting your signature on a receipt. If it is correct, it shows it was you that withdrew the money. Now, if your credit card number is used in South America while you are in North Dakota, there is usually some protection for you...but in this case...maybe not.

Edited by Headshot
stagger

This wasn't reported, but i assume they drugged her somehow. Now to the shopping- there are scrupulous dealers as well as expats* which actually do the shopping for those syndicated credit card theft. As it appears, those were not chance criminals. Rather organized.

* It was rampant in the eighties, broke foreign travelers shopping for syndicates, mainly Thailand organized, shopping was then in SIN or HKG, the stores were involved too..Back then a stolen card was only reported in th nation lost and later put on alert eveywhere else. The Praxis disappeared slowly with the more and more online credit card business but in those days there was not internet and worldwide connections as it is now.

There used to be a group of expats in Manila and Angeles City that did this in the 80's, they would offer guys money to use their Credit Cards but not to report them stolen for 2/3 days.

They would then nip up to Hong Kong with several of these cards and buy items, mainly jewelry, then return here and sell it, they did this for a few years until as you said the system improved.

We should have a couple of beers one night Guenther and talk about the expat villains who used to hang about Manila in these times.................some of them are still there!

Stranded Shipscook

There used to be a group of expats in Manila and Angeles City that did this in the 80's, they would offer guys money to use their Credit Cards but not to report them stolen for 2/3 days.

They would then nip up to Hong Kong with several of these cards and buy items, mainly jewelry, then return here and sell it, they did this for a few years until as you said the system improved.

We should have a couple of beers one night Guenther and talk about the expat villains who used to hang about Manila in these times.................some of them are still there!

Yup, they approached a lot o people quite openly.

That "beers" would be fun, some were real bizarre characters were among them and the stories to share here ... almost nobody would believe them.:rofl:

and the nicknames alone they were known under.... scarface xxxx, fatty sweaty xxxx, Gentleman xxxx, and many more could be out of a mob movie.:)

Edited by Guenther