razorbackhog

Is the OP and yurtmaster the same person...im confused.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• Paul

• Stranded Shipscook

• yurtmaster

morak8088

hi; that was a fascinating video about the concrete shelters. I'm a little concerned about the "potential to last 10 years" info, though. Thanks for your post.

morak8088

Yurtmaster; having been a long-time subscriber to Mother Earth News I am familiar with yurts, but always viewed them as an iterim or semi-permanent structure. There is much to commend the circular shape (I believe it gives a huge area for the given wall space) and I love the way you put a Filipino spin on the traditional yurt. Nice to see a different approach to home building in the Phils.

Paul

Yurtmaster, please email me any photos you have, full sized if possible. Would you include in the email which province you built this in? (I'm curious, due to the Typhoons we get here, if you happened to build it up north and how that has worked out for you.) My email address is: cebu (at) livingincebu (dot) com

I have never considered myself a "greenie", but I will admit that I like the idea of something that is more suitable for the area than an option I found years ago. You can read about it in this thread: Dome Construction Anyone?

Although not as sturdy as a concrete dome, I do believe it would be much more suitable for this climate.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit putting them up. But, Sean (Yurtmaster) sent these photos, as well as others in the photo album, to me. I have the full sized images as well, having only resized them for ease of upload.

Yurt built in the Philippines photo album

gallery_1_716_34571.jpg

gallery_1_716_10503.jpg

gallery_1_716_109466.jpg

Edited by Admin
KennyF

Not a yurt but at least it's round.

This bamboo structure was built very cheaply (Larry might remember the cost) on the site of the old Pissheads Bar in Banilad Dumaguete back in 2005 or 2006.

I remember that the concrete slab cost way more than the rest.

post-4822-0-18657600-1314483176_thumb.jpg post-4822-0-33879800-1314483162_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-03385300-1314483432_thumb.jpg post-4822-0-81277500-1314483448_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-29207200-1314483467_thumb.jpg post-4822-0-92865100-1314483482_thumb.jpg

KonGC

Was that place near Natasha? I lived in the Natasha Compound for about three months, years ago, down in Banilad.

KennyF

Was that place near Natasha? I lived in the Natasha Compound for about three months, years ago, down in Banilad.

Yes, actually in Natasha compound.

Built by the South American guy who ownes the gogo bar out by the Dumaguete airport.

I can't remember his name but it was a female sort of name like Dominique or something.

He also built a gogo bar on a roof in Mactan but fell foul of airport or council planning.

I lived in Natasha for 5 or 6 months or so in 2006, that's how I came to meet Larry.

KonGc

I see. That was obviously built after I left there. I lived in A4, the four units down the left side, the smaller ones. I lived in the last unit on the left. Man, it was nice and peaceful there. I think we paid something like Php 4,000 per month, including water, electric, and cable. It was cheap. A few years later, I heard she had gone up on the costs more than double.