Sign in to follow this  
Stranded Shipscook

TIPS against ANTS in the house

Stranded Shipscook

Those little ants, a nuisance !

here is one thing which works very well , Insect chalk, available in many Gaisanos.

post-8399-0-52860500-1311824226_thumb.jpg

other brands work too. Such as shelltox and the like.

Then there is the 1,2,3 insect powder. works very good as well, but seldom available. i you see it, buy a lot.

Baygon does not work on Ants.

And then of course, observe cleanlyness to the extreme ! No food, no ants.

Edited by Guenther

Art

I recently moved into a house with a kitchen infested with ants so I tried a table spoon of borax with a table spoon of honey mixed together and placed it in a jar lid and dropped some around the bench tops after a couple of days the ants were all gone then a few months later they started appearing in the bathroom and my bedroom did the same thing in the bathroom and they were all gone the next day haven't been back since.

Headshot
Baygon does not work on Ants.

Raid (in the purple can) works just great on ants. You just spray a barrier in doorways and windows and no more ants. It also keeps out the roaches and the spiders for a while.

Edited by Headshot

Stranded Shipscook

Raid (in the purple can) works just great on ants. You just spray a barrier in doorways and windows and no more ants. It also keeps out the roaches and the spiders for a while.

I tried Raid Purple as well with good success against Black Ants

(The ones carrying their eggs constantly around and don't build real housing projects, so i call them Gipsy Ants, lol)

As well as against the big red biting ants (meat eaters, real bastards !, But they live underground outside and only come in for food )

The tiny little Red Ants ( Very fond of all electrical, the like switches and keyboards and living in Appliances as well for some suicidal reason, creating lots of problems in the process ) are not impressed at all by Raid, they walk over it.

m60man

Here's another tip that works and is pet and environment friendly. "Pau" (the Filipino cure all) comes in little green bottle. Reminds me of a liquid form of Vick's Vapor Rub. Just rub a little on thresholds and other entry points once a week or so. They will not cross the line. They actually approach, turn around and look elsewhere. As stated above, Rule #1, no food, no pests!

If you have a infestation is a wall or elsewhere. Find the entry point by observation and spray a little in. Soon after a mass exodus will occur. Be prepared to kill untold numbers. My wife thought I was crazy the first time I tried this. I notice a line of ants in the CR going into a small crack. I sprayed a little in the hole, walked out and shut the door. About 30 minutes later I decided to take a shower. I entered the CR and to my shock thousands of ants had exited that little hole. I spent 30 more minutes killing them and disposing of their little bodies. I sprayed a bit more in and never had a problem there again. "PAU" your ants and watch them scury..........:welcome2:

rfm010

in my experience:

baygon-type liquids that you put in a sprayer will kill ants but not keep them from returning.

last year i found a couple of sprays that are more expensive. one was from bayer, the one i bought was bug-stop by spectracide. these both offer 6 or 9 month protection. i bought it because we had those egg-carrying black ants coming in the house from all directions. the spray put a stop to it quite nicely. doesn't last as long as advertised, depends in part on how rainy it has been and just how strong the motivation is for them to come in (can't just leave a lot of food out to attract them and expect them not to get around the spray). the spray is relatively expensive but you don't need to drown them...

the tiny little ants that get in your sugar aren't as impressed by the spray. had them nested in so many little nooks and crannies in the kitchen that i wasn't able to get rid of them. we lived together for several years and our main defense was,, as i mentioned in another thread, to use plastic bags as liners for plastic containers holding foods the ants like. works well.

brought some borax from home last trip. tried the borax in food, borax in syrup (about 1:9 borax to substance). nailed those little ants good! still get them coming in and trying to re-establish themselves--that will always happen--but it probably cut things back by 90%.

had fleas and those little ants in a guest room. the ants were coming in from the windows for dead insects and cat food. flea -bombed the room and it took care of the ants as well as the fleas. there's been no tendency for the ants to return. would flea bomb the kitchen but it would be inconvenient.

sometimes i'll bake something that has to stay out overnight. to keep ants out i'll put out a large plate or pie dish with water in it. in the middle of that is a smaller bowl large enough to support a plate that holds the baked item. in other words the food is elevated in the middle of a moat that the ants won't cross.

i once read how u.s. missionaries here in the early 1900s would put the legs of their beds in saucers of kerosene to keep ants/bugs from climbing the legs into the bed.

musicman666

the best tattic is to remove temptation ...all my bins and food are protected by shallow moats of water ..that water is changed when mozzie larva starts to appear. Since i have been doing this the ants dont bother coming ..in fact i think some of the nests have dissapeared since the food supply has been cut off.

razorbackhog

To my knowledge there is no residual chemical for ants or spiders. Only way to completely rid yourself of ants is to bait for them. They then take this back to their nest and in the process the queen dies.

Headshot

To my knowledge there is no residual chemical for ants or spiders. Only way to completely rid yourself of ants is to bait for them. They then take this back to their nest and in the process the queen dies.

I think a combination is the way to go. A 9-to-1 mixture of honey (or syrup) to borax is a good way to kill entire colonies. Good sprays used at entrances will keep the bugs at bay for a while. I respray once a week on the thresholds of exterior doors. We have no ant problems inside the house, but there are definitely healthy populations outside.

Edited by Headshot

nsx

is borax available in cebu ? thanks

musicman666

i dont think it is although there are rumours of downtown shops having it on occasion..... and my experience with various other chemicals from the usa for fighting ants is that they just dont work ...i can only assume cebuana ants have different likes and dislikes to usa ants.

I do have a big bottle of borax based compound that i pour directly on red ant mounds that i got from the usa ..it seems to discourage them for a while.

ace hardware did a range of ant traps for a bit but they were discontinued.... i can only guess that they had a lot of complaints saying it didnt do what the packet said.

Headshot

Yes. Any welding supply store will have it. Ask for brazing flux. Brazing flux = Borax.

Edited by Headshot

KennyF

Controlling ants is easy, if you keep a couple or three things worth knowing in mind.

First, you will never get rid of them by insect spray or “bug chalk”. The ants that you kill will be less than 10% of the nest.Tomorrow, the queen will have pumped out replacements.

Secondly, all ants that you come across in RP prefer to drink rather than eat, and this is where borax comes into the picture.

Most insect have an extremely low tolerance for borax and you can kill them off by making a mix of borax and honey (or any sweet stuff), but what this will achieve is similar to poison spays, it wipes out just 10% of the colony.

The borax honey mix must be just right. It should not be so strong that it kills the ants outright but rather, they should live long enough to take the mix down into the nest and feed it to the queen and young larvae. This way, the whole colony is eradicated in 24 hours.

To this end, a mix like the following will work.

2 cups white sugar (400 grams)

2 cups water (460 grams)

2 1/2 table spoons Borax (35 grams)

Dissolve it all together with a little heat and keep in a bottle.

860grams sugar water to 35 grams = 4% borax mix.

The American product “Terro” and the Australian product “Ant Rid” are both around 4% borax.

Don't worry about poisoning the baby as the LD50 of borax is almost the same as common salt.

(LD50 = milligrams of dose per kilo of body weight to kill half the group)

Aspirin 1,000 = 1 gram

Boric Acid 2,660 = 2.6 grams

Table Salt 3,000 = 3 grams

A picture paints a thousand words so......

post-4822-0-51122000-1311893179_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-29061500-1311893194_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-78147600-1311893186_thumb.jpg

Please don't use this mix in the garden, ants are supposed to be there, that's where they live so leave outdoors alone..

If you simply want to stop ants invading your food stuff, just sprinkle baby powder on any flat surface and wipe it with you hand leaving a misty coating of powder so it looks like steam on a mirror. Ants HATE walking on baby powder and this tip alone might solve your problem.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Controlling ants is easy, if you keep a couple or three things worth knowing in mind.

First, you will never get rid of them by insect spray or “bug chalk”. The ants that you kill will be less than 10% of the nest.Tomorrow, the queen will have pumped out replacements.

Secondly, all ants that you come across in RP prefer to drink rather than eat, and this is where borax comes into the picture.

Most insect have an extremely low tolerance for borax and you can kill them off by making a mix of borax and honey (or any sweet stuff), but what this will achieve is similar to poison spays, it wipes out just 10% of the colony.

The borax honey mix must be just right. It should not be so strong that it kills the ants outright but rather, they should live long enough to take the mix down into the nest and feed it to the queen and young larvae. This way, the whole colony is eradicated in 24 hours.

To this end, a mix like the following will work.

2 cups white sugar (400 grams)

2 cups water (460 grams)

2 1/2 table spoons Borax (35 grams)

Dissolve it all together with a little heat and keep in a bottle.

860grams sugar water to 35 grams = 4% borax mix.

The American product “Terro” and the Australian product “Ant Rid” are both around 4% borax.

Don't worry about poisoning the baby as the LD50 of borax is almost the same as common salt.

(LD50 = milligrams of dose per kilo of body weight to kill half the group)

Aspirin 1,000 = 1 gram

Boric Acid 2,660 = 2.6 grams

Table Salt 3,000 = 3 grams

A picture paints a thousand words so......

post-4822-0-51122000-1311893179_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-29061500-1311893194_thumb.jpgpost-4822-0-78147600-1311893186_thumb.jpg

Please don't use this mix in the garden, ants are supposed to be there, that's where they live so leave outdoors alone..

If you simply want to stop ants invading your food stuff, just sprinkle baby powder on any flat surface and wipe it with you hand leaving a misty coating of powder so it looks like steam on a mirror. Ants HATE walking on baby powder and this tip alone might solve your problem.

KonGC

Very good info, i like it, but don't know where to get Borax in the Philippines now, anybody knows ?

one remark- the chalk i mentioned is not to eradicate the ants, but to keep them coming in the house. That works real good. As we all know, ants relay messages and sends out scouts first. If the scout dies or somehow doesn't like to cross the barrier, the rest will not come either.

Just like in War, if you want to beat the enemy, you gotta think like the enemy. (Ant wars, lol, anybody ever played Sim Ant in the late eighties or early nineties ?)

broden

Very good info, i like it, but don't know where to get Borax in the Philippines now, anybody knows ?

one remark- the chalk i mentioned is not to eradicate the ants, but to keep them coming in the house. That works real good. As we all know, ants relay messages and sends out scouts first. If the scout dies or somehow doesn't like to cross the barrier, the rest will not come either.

Just like in War, if you want to beat the enemy, you gotta think like the enemy. (Ant wars, lol, anybody ever played Sim Ant in the late eighties or early nineties ?)

you should be able to get borax from where ever you can get welding supplies