Sign in to follow this  
NRG

What to do if a foreigner dies.

cebubird

Howard was a heck of a nice guy-last time we saw him was at the project he was happily building up the side of a mountain. The duplex he was building was almost finished and my wife and I enjoyed so much walking around with him and picturing the dream as he was telling us all his plans for the site.

I knew about the bite on his arm and thought he was recovering, but sadly another case of filipino doctors killing somebody.

What is also worth mentioning here is that stewart leyland helped with some of the initial funding until Matt could pay him back. Stewart actually had a few of us here to advance some funds to help out. It was nice to see fellow foreigners willingly chipping in to help out.

BTW we just lost another one here in Argao

ckfm

Howard was a heck of a nice guy-last time we saw him was at the project he was happily building up the side of a mountain. The duplex he was building was almost finished and my wife and I enjoyed so much walking around with him and picturing the dream as he was telling us all his plans for the site.

I knew about the bite on his arm and thought he was recovering, but sadly another case of filipino doctors killing somebody.

What is also worth mentioning here is that stewart leyland helped with some of the initial funding until Matt could pay him back. Stewart actually had a few of us here to advance some funds to help out. It was nice to see fellow foreigners willingly chipping in to help out.

BTW we just lost another one here in Argao

So, what did he die from, a bite on his arm.

cebubird

All indications was it was a reaction to the antibiotics he was being given for the bite. Howard didn't know what had bitten him, but his arm was really ugly for awhile. I know Stewart and other friends had been bugging him to go to Cebu to have it checked out.

batman2525
In many states the remains must be in a container when they are cremated

Correct.

Bill H

In the past few years I've had to handle the deaths of both of my parents and my wife. All three wanted to be cremated, so I followed their wishes even though they did not coincide with mine. In every case, I was forced to pay for a container by the crematorium (this is two different states in the U.S.) No rental containers were offered and I was told the container was destroyed with the body and could not be re-used which seems to go against the idea of a rental container. This is just my personal experience, gratefully limited.

Bill

tokyoman
All indications was it was a reaction to the antibiotics he was being given for the bite. Howard didn't know what had bitten him, but his arm was really ugly for awhile. I know Stewart and other friends had been bugging him to go to Cebu to have it checked out.

Was he bitten by a stray dog? Mosquito?

budbrown

Was he bitten by a stray dog? Mosquito?

He was bitten by some kind of spider

tambok

My condolences, I hope all foreigners who die in the Philipines -- hopefully, after living a long, full life--( which will include me one day) soon reincarnate there.

I've added up all the numbers, and all in all, we can count on spending +- USD 2000 for a cheap funeral and maybe USD 1500 if the deceased is cremated. This is very important information.

smokey

Thanks for posting this info. I know it must be hard. What a great friend you are to step in and send him off right. We should think about what will happen when that day comes how it will be handled rather than just letting our wives or gfs or mates figure it out for us. It would really be great if we could each out the details down in a "Open only upon my death" package to be held by a trusted associate or lawyer or whatever you are comfortable with. It should detail all finances and how to access them. How to contact Life Insurances Companies to find out their requirements. What loans or bills may be owed. How

Thanks for posting this info. I know it must be hard. What a great friend you are to step in and send him off right. We should think about what will happen when that day comes how it will be handled rather than just letting our wives or gfs or mates figure it out for us. It would really be great if we could each out the details down in a "Open only upon my death" package to be held by a trusted associate or lawyer or whatever you are comfortable with. It should detail all finances and how to access them. How to contact Life Insurances Companies to find out their requirements. What loans or bills may be owed. How to get SS or veterans benefits if any. Even how to apply for a Widows VISA or whatever. Anything you can think of that might be useful. And of course any burial plans or arrangements. The more you can put down the better.

For example, my instructions to my wife will start off with: If I fail to wake up one day. Stay calm and don't tell anyone. Tell the caretaker we had a fight and I left to go cool off but I want him to dig a new sceptic tank along the back fence, 2mtrX1mtr and 2mtr deep. When that's done, tell him we don't need him for a week and send him home. Ask a couple of our most trusted friends to come for dinner without their wives and when they come, tell them too wait until dark and bury me. When the caretaker returns, tell him I changed my mind on the location of the new sceptic and filled it in and then had an emergency call from home and went to the states indefinitely so we'll just figure out the new sceptic when I get back. Now, here's how to access my pension.....

[/quote

do you think that is why they want to see all the vets once a year at least

• Like 1

ellenbrook2001

oh so sad too learn such a nice men so young anywhere also for shearing what going on here many thanks

crj

Rest in peace. Nice job Matt and thanks for sharing your experience.

heepmag53

Our son was murdered in Makati in 2002, and it was a total nightmare to organise everything.And the British embassy were worse than useless.Thank god you were around for your friend....

storybrook

I really appreciated this post and the information in it.  I myself have been thinking about dying – a little more sooner than I planned might be a good idea if I listen to those on this post that think by speaking the truth it’s liable to get me killed ha ha…but seriously before I say anything else let me say out of respect for this post that for those who knew this guy, I’m sorry for your loss.

Now with that said, and I’m not sure if I should be starting a NEW topic or what but my post is about death, dying and making arrangements for that and so I hope it’s ok and Paul don’t get on my case for starting a new topic in the wrong place or something.

Now I have been respectful to this post and the people who knew this guy let me move on to my concerns – which I admit are selfish and some of you reading this probably won’t like my thoughts and attitude concerning death in general because unlike others, I think death might just be the greatest part of life and I’m personally looking forward to whatever comes next.

So unlike a lot of people who might prefer having a wonderful friend who told this story and handled all the related problems, one of my pet peeves in life is how the “Death” industry from the Local funeral parlor to the Government all want to make money off someone dying.  If I have my way, NO ONE WILL MAKE A DIME OR IN THIS CASE A PESO off the fact that I show up dead one of these days.  And the last thing I want to happen is for my death to be a burden on someone that I might have considered a friend who now is burdened in the way this post clearly shows someone can be. 

So I would love information and suggestions on how to die for free and set my future death up to be as simple and free as possible.

With that as my goal, I am more than willing to make arrangements for being Buried at sea for example if that is an option but when I saw the numbers given herein this post it just pisses me off.  My mother who died recently felt very much like I do, but she was in California and she was able to make arrangements ahead of time for her body to be given to science so that when she died all they had to do as I understand it is pick up he phone and say she had died and then someone came and picked up her body and that was that! 

There was zero expense that I heard about.  I think my brother ran a little obituary for her in the local paper and I think he did that just because it made him feel better.

So I guess my first question is do they have the option here to give your body to science or whatever they might call it here – where basically they take your body somewhere and eventually it is used for medical student to cut up and learn about the human body etc and as it’s dissected or whatever they do with it, eventually they dispose of the body as medical waste or when they get done maybe they have their own cremation or something of the remains.

I personally don’t want a typical “Death party” the way the Filipinos do it from the Displaying of a body in the Casket for x number of days to the parade in the street to the cemetery to all the **it that goes along with the excuses for someone else to make a buck on your death.

I know in the USA if someone dies that the Coroner will come and the body will be taken away and if no one comes to claim the body in x amount of time they just dispose of it and that is that.  No one has to run around and get this or that signed or do this or that which was described in this post…Nothing…no one claims you ….they take care of it….whether they choose to cremate you or burry you in an un marked grave they somehow solve the problem….it’s my understand that if they don’t have anyone to MILK for all the money and give all the errands to run, they are just stuck with a dead body that they have to dispose of and so they do.

Now if the option to do what my mother did is available in this country someone PLEASE tell me who to contact so I can sign all the papers and have that set up so all the people around me who ever they might be at that time will know – just call this number and they will take care of it.  That sounds to me like the perfect way to beat the damn system that I hate.

If that option isn’t available then my question would be, what if I instruct the people around me in this way – when I die – just report it to the authorities and REFUSE to do anything else.  Tell them it’s not your problem and you don’t give a **it what they do with me, don’t let them put a guilt trip on you and start milking you for money tell them all to go take a flying leap that you are not related to me, you don’t care what they do with me, and it’s not your problem period and let it be their problem what to do? 

If I was to do that what would you say or guess or perhaps know would be the resulting this country?

I would rather use the money that was mentioned I this post that was spend on that guy’s burial – remember this is me not him – we are talking about what I want – I would rather not have to put aside 100k or more to pay all these damn people who I do not want these services from, and use that money instead while I am alive to buy sacks of rice for people who need it!  I don’t want my death to cost anyone anything and that means me too!

So I’m looking for advice on how to accomplish my death wishes.  I will have already told anyone who might be living with me that anything I had from a computer to a digital piano would go to them and they should just say the stuff is their that is wasn’t mine and leave it at that.  I would have told them for example before anyone reports that I’m dead – TAKE all the stuff you want out of my house and put it somewhere else -  so there is no questions about the “Stuff” if someone asked where is my stuff?  Just say he didn’t have any stuff! 

Clearly if I knew I was going to die tomorrow I could arrange such things but since I can’t know that, the best I can do is to tell the people around me my wishes so they know what to do before they make the mistake of reporting me dead.  I have in the past for example when I have been living with a companion, which I’m not at the moment, but probably will have in the future, that they are to take my wallet, my ID, everything, my ATM Card etc and remove everything BEFORE they call to report me dead. 

I would tell them answer I don’t know to any question put them.  I would tell them just walk away and say it’s not my problem I don’t want to be involved because the whole death industry is based upon someone CARING what happens to you – they need someone like the nice person who did what he said he did in this post to Pin all that **it on.  I don’t want the powers that be to be able to do that when I die.

So advice please!  Tell me how to accomplish my goal and don’t tell me I can’t – that’s and answer I won’t accept.  I know if I was to go to a pension house take a bottle of pills and before dying give all my stuff away from the ATM card to the computers etc…and I just die in some pension house and the maid finds me in a couple days that there must be a similar system to dealing with a body that no one is claiming.  So if that is the case then there is no reason I can’t basically arrange the same situation so they can’t stick anyone with a guilt trip and a 100k burden upon my death.

I don’t care if anyone notifies my kids in the USA I don’t care about anything hey I’m dead!  It’s no longer my problem and I do not want that death to be someone else’s problem or a project for the system to make money on.  Hopefully I have been clear.

Anyone want to give me advice??

Edited by storybrook
  • Like 1

Edwin

You say you don't want your death to be someone else's problem, yet you want someone to dispose of your body without paying them through your trickery. You have me truly confused. In death as in life we should man up and be responsible.

Edited by Edwin

Monsoon

My wife has clear instructions to keep me in the freezer and not tell anyone I'm dead until she has drained any bank accounts she isn't on and then dispose of me in the cheapest way possible...

• Like 4