On Line Business

Hi all,

I am a regular visitor to this forum and I was reading a post about an on line business that one of the members was running and making a living out of it but can’t seem to find it again. It seems like every time I post here I change my mind about what to do with my future, studying there to further my career was one thought. At the moment my wife Lelita and myself are working in a mining town in Queensland Australia, the money is good but the lifestyle is not so good ,, 14 hour days, night shift and day shift. I had a good business in Cairns until the GFC came along and the tourists stopped coming. I have ended up having to declare bankruptcy and have lost everything; I will be fifty this year and not looking forward to starting again. Bankruptcy in Australia is not the end of the world but I have to surrender 50% of any after tax earnings over 50K to the receiver for 3 years.

So what to do now?? There is not much chance of me ever paying of a house in Australia, 300k plus and still living some sort of life. So one option is to work here 6 or 8 months a year and live in Cebu the rest of the year. The down side is I will never get ahead, spending most of our saving every year living in the Philippines.

Another option is to find a supplementary income while in the Philippines and try to make an ongoing living from that. After reading some of the posts here I have discounted any business that is trying to compete with the locals that are happy to work for a pittance. So no internet café or restaurants or bars for me,I have no experience in that area for a start.

I like the idea of an online shop of some sort now that PayPal is up and running there. This might be an option worth exploring as unlike most locals I have some capital to get started and can use my retail experience to my advantage. Anyhow {this is getting way to long} I am asking if any member here can give me some help and, or, advice in this area? We will be in Cebu from the 20th August to the 7th of September to visit the family and would love to catch up with anyone that might be able to help…

Cheers Jim ……

post-3349-0-45190200-1311383171_thumb.jpg

KennyF

The biggest problem I see you running into is not so much the competition from locals in RP but competition from expats.

There are many guys already there in the country just dying to figure out a way to make a few bucks.

There are a few expats with internet cafes but I doubt they make any big money like that keeping in mind that 20 pesos an hour needs a hell of a lot of hours just to break even.

Some guys make a living on line with ebay, share trading and so on but I think most of those have developed their online business before coming to RP.

The happiest and most successful I have seen are the guys who earn in the west and holiday in RP.

If you can earn up to $50,000 and perhaps your wife can earn too, it should not be hard to take 3 or 4 months off each year.

Think twice or more before packing up and moving on a permanent basis and whatever you do, don't do it on a shoe string.

KonGC

musicman666

Not trying to compete locally is the way to go..... Also make sure the business is registered abroad and what goes on here ends up not making a profit. I would hope some kind of online trade or service between Cebu and ozz could work but god knows what that might be?

fanboat

The guy you are looking for is "Matrix"he makes goobs of money on line.give him a shout.

ps...if you have spare dough...shop on alibaba.com....fill a container from china...do the annual trade show first...not sure how to sell thousands of the same item,but e-bay may work for you :closedeyes:

Ozepete

The biggest problem I see you running into is not so much the competition from locals in RP but competition from expats.

There are many guys already there in the country just dying to figure out a way to make a few bucks.

There are a few expats with internet cafes but I doubt they make any big money like that keeping in mind that 20 pesos an hour needs a hell of a lot of hours just to break even.

Some guys make a living on line with ebay, share trading and so on but I think most of those have developed their online business before coming to RP.

The happiest and most successful I have seen are the guys who earn in the west and holiday in RP.

If you can earn up to $50,000 and perhaps your wife can earn too, it should not be hard to take 3 or 4 months off each year.

Think twice or more before packing up and moving on a permanent basis and whatever you do, don't do it on a shoe string.

KonGC

Above is good advise from Kenny.

Perhaps you could look at importing stuff from Cebu for sale in Oz. You could organize while in Cebu and do the Oz bit when back there.

For example, we bought some very nice, well made garden pots at Liloan for <$1 to $4.00 for our home in Catmon Cebu. These would sell very well in Oz. so I did a plan based on the purchase cost, container freight, import costs etc., and it works. (Email if you want a copy) These pots could be sold wholesale to retail outlets (Or at markets) in Oz with a good margin.

Just an idea..

Cheers..

Kodiak570

Someone (can't recall right now) mentioned a lack of quality electric staplers in RP. Maybe that could be your market?

USMC-Retired

Online business is not cheap to start or maintain. Ask Paul.

His IP according to stats generates about 14 dollars a day. Now you subtract Leased server space, Bandwidth purchase, Domain Purchase and upgrades. You barely keep you head up. Paul owns all the software which is not cheap. However it can be leased also. This site is high on google and well established. Years of work to get it there.

E commerce is the same deal. To be successful you must find a target. You must additionally have them find you. This all takes time and money. Then you have page design and software for sales. Many variables and lots a work.

What I would suggest is looking into a job of data entry, copywriter, or something where you are in front of the computer not the man behind it. If you have no experience in website enterprises then it could turn into a disaster quick.

Edited by Norseman
Paul

Jim, this is a bit off topic, but I have a PayPal account set up in Australia and linked to Bendigo Bank.

I would suggest you doing the same, or something similar. I believe, if I am not mistaken anyway, that Philippines based PayPal accounts may be limited in some way.

Davaoeno

Someone (can't recall right now) mentioned a lack of quality electric staplers in RP. Maybe that could be your market?

Market ?? there's actually a market for electric staplers here ? I cant even find a decent manual stapler- the main emphasis here mostly seems to be on " what is the cheapest that I can buy " . how many electric staplers would you expect to sell a year in the Phil? 50 ?

• Like 1
Paul
Online business is not cheap to start or maintain. Ask Paul.

His IP according to stats generates about 14 dollars a day. Now you subtract Leased server space, Bandwidth purchase, Domain Purchase and upgrades. You barely keep you head up. Paul owns all the software which is not cheap. However it can be leased also. This site is high on google and well established. Years of work to get it there.

E commerce is the same deal. To be successful you must find a target. You must additionally have them find you. This all takes time and money. Then you have page design and software for sales. Many variables and lots a work.

What I would suggest is looking into a job of data entry, copywriter, or something where you are in front of the computer not the man behind it. If you have no experience in website enterprises then it could turn into a disaster quick.

LOL No shit?

KennyF

Jim, this is a bit off topic, but I have a PayPal account set up in Australia and linked to Bendigo Bank.

I would suggest you doing the same, or something similar. I believe, if I am not mistaken anyway, that Philippines based PayPal accounts may be limited in some way.

Off (but a little on) topic. Paul , did you receive Paypal from me?

It was not acknowledged.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

oops you got me. I do not know where I got that. I thought that is what I read. However you make next to nothing when I ran it again.

post-1477-0-80405500-1311391876_thumb.png

Paul

Off (but a little on) topic. Paul , did you receive Paypal from me?

It was not acknowledged.

KonGC

When? Where? Which button or subscription did you choose?

oops you got me. I do not know where I got that. I thought that is what I read. However you make next to nothing when I ran it again.

living.png

I hope my tax man buys that.

Nevermind. I got it, Kenny.

I will move your account into the Sponsor Usergroup right now.

Edited by Admin
KennyF

When? Where? Which button or subscription did you choose?

Nevermind. I got it, Kenny.

I will move your account into the Sponsor Usergroup right now.

Ta.

KonGC

Paul

Tim, so far today, and I still have over three hours to go before today's earnings end, I have 14,580 page views, on one ad.

Jim, if you are going to consider an online business, figure some earnings from ads if you can get a product that will cause you to rank in the search engines.