Nightlife Trick in Cebu

Stranded Shipscook

An expat customer of me went to Cebu City to indulge a bit in the nightlife. he is a friendly fellow and not unexperienced, since he works in Cebu since years. ( So he is an expat, not a tourist ! )

But sometimes, as he confesses, he indulges in a real nite out and gets real drunk, but still got his wits. So he thought....

At the end of a night out of town partly with friends, he ends up in one of the Mango bars, but since he don't like bargirls, He just gets some 'appetite" (whatever he means by that)

Then he hops in one of the waiting taxis in front, t his surprise its the same driver who brought him there from another place before. When he arrives at is desired destination and pays the taxi, a pretty girl suddenly pops up and calls him by his name. 'small talk, blablabla, ( remember, the guy is under the influence and probably spoke to 20 or 30 chicks that nite! )

Well, she is a bit educated, looks good and he joins her in the Disco.

After a few drinks and a bit of the cuddly cuddle she also joins him in his hotel. A smaller kind, not one of the five stars.

he takes a shower first and when he comes out, girl gone, money gone, watch gone, everything.(damage about 30k) The jump in the jeans and the run to the reception after her is of course fruitless. "She left sir, this way..." is all the (very tired) guard could say. And her appearance wasn't like a bargirl, so they didn't suspect enough to search her.

Anyhow, the Police in Fuente just said, that this wasn't the first time, the girls work together with the taxidriver(s) and it is pretty difficult to find or proof anything. description, Taxi number, any hint ?

The trouble was, that the guy told too much to the friendly taxidriver, showed too much money when he paid the taxi and trusted the "gorgeous" too much of course.

Well, can't blame him really, he was really god setup.

Need a moral- don't talk too much to strangers,specially taxi drivers, they are also involved in other scams. Inform the hotel NOT to let anyone out without calling you first. ( Discreet please, most woman are nice )

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

• Stranded Shipscook

• Jess Bartone

Baywak

Common Story Sad to Say.But,If I was a 17 year old tourist that just arrived in Cebu yesterday,I would bring my belongings into the bathroom with me and keep my eye on it while I was showering.Better yet,I would have brought her into the shower with me.

thebob

Total newbie mistakes. His street smarts are totally rusty.

udonthani

the man got lazy. He could have paid with his life, but he ended up surrendering a few trifles. Nobody in the Philippines should be walking around, with 30,000 pesos on them in whatever form unless they are armed. Who could possibly want an expensive watch in the Philippines anyway, unless they wanted to get robbed.

Guenther. Your friend let his guard down.

Kodiak570

OP - Your friend's a stoopid noob! We can rail on non-member all we like right? :unsure: only joke friend.... He's like Sigfried and Roy, he got too comfortable with a beautiful (but dangerous) creature.

Stranded Shipscook

OP - Your friend's a stoopid noob! We can rail on non-member all we like right? :scratch_head: only joke friend.... He's like Sigfried and Roy, he got too comfortable with a beautiful (but dangerous) creature.

LOL, yes, you could call him that in this case, he certainly used more grave words to describe himself in this "misfortune". On the other hand, we should appreciate his openness, without it, we would not know about it.

I like the description of the "Siegfried and Roy" - perfect !

because in reality long term expats actually let their guards a bit down. They feel comfortable and say, "this can't happen to me anymore". That includes myself actually. I am just lucky, so i need to be reminded from time to time (as in this forum for example)

But lets create a "theoritical situation", but realistic.

I was at a B'day party of a forum member some months ago.It was in Gustavians/Ayala and everybody had a jolly good time. Some came from the province (ME for example) and they most probably stay overnight too. And probably plan to buy things in he city the next day, lets say , a new aircondition unit. cash smiles and give great discounts !

Alcohol went hohoho and th party may continues for some i the manner described in the OP.

The "Aircon" buyer can't stop to party and is suddenly alone in the night... but drunk and has his guards down.

See what could happen next in the OP.

About the 30k damage, 15 of it was the watch, and the other 15 is not unusual or a "Working Expat" making 300k monthly. And we all know, once we got a functioning and free ATM, we withdraw as much as we can...LOL

Davaoeno

the man got lazy. He could have paid with his life, but he ended up surrendering a few trifles. Nobody in the Philippines should be walking around, with 30,000 pesos on them in whatever form unless they are armed. Who could possibly want an expensive watch in the Philippines anyway, unless they wanted to get robbed.

Guenther. Your friend let his guard down.

I didnt see where he had 30,000 pesos on him. My watch cost 100,000 pesos - which definitely is NOT an expensive watch- and i wear it because i like it- not because i want to get robbed.

I didnt see where he had 30,000 pesos on him. My watch cost 100,000 pesos - which definitely is NOT an expensive watch- and i wear it because i like it- not because i want to get robbed.

I would never wear a watch of that value. Maybe 10,000 peso, but even then, that is pushing it.

Daz

udonthani

if you're walking around in the Philippines with a time piece that it takes the people around you 16 months to earn at their minimum wage jobs, provided of course they have a job at all, then you're just a fool frankly - and taking an unecessary risk of getting robbed. Just about everyone here would advise people to avoid ostenatious display in the Philippines like expensive jewelry and watches. It's courting trouble.

KennyF

My old dad told me "never carry more than you can afford to lose".

KonGC

Davaoeno

if you're walking around in the Philippines with a time piece that it takes the people around you 16 months to earn at their minimum wage jobs, provided of course they have a job at all, then you're just a fool frankly - and taking an unecessary risk of getting robbed. Just about everyone here would advise people to avoid ostenatious display in the Philippines like expensive jewelry and watches. It's courting trouble.

Well i really dont care if you think I am a fool !! My watch looks no more ostentatious than most 5000 pesos- and certainly less than some of those. Many people wear counterfeit watches these days which only look expensive and i do not think that they are all fools..

Maybe you wear a sign around your neck saying " my watch is worth X pesos " but I dont.

udonthani

not sure whether its more idiotic to wear a counterfeit watch that looks like it's worth $10,000 but is only worth $10, or a genuine one in the Philippines. I find the items awkward and uncomfortable in any case and have never worn any sort of watch. Now that phones do the job of telling the time just as well, any small incentive I may have had at one time to possess one has been removed.

Stranded Shipscook

It would not have mattered whether the person in the Op wear his watch or not (It was a Seiko divewatch, not special looking, but expensive ).

What were the main factors attributing was :

1. Drunk and alone.

2. Talking too much to a friendly taxi driver, revealing his name in this case.

3. And taking an unknown woman to his Hotel without precaution, caused by point 1.

All above things which i have done often in the past years myself, except for the Hotel part. I only sleep in motels and there is no way a female gets out unattended without phone call.

Even my own exwife driving WITH the car registered in her name, they still called the room up !

The cash carry is also normal, Udonthani, don't forget, we residents don't live here on vacation and have lots of errands to do. And ATM is inconvenient. Its a different situation. We can not avoid running around cashless.

Same applies in Berlin or London, were i bet anything that they have more professional pickpockets than here.

Alone on the annual "Love Parade" in Berlin there are 1300 cases in three days. Angela Merkel got pickpocket in the 'Kaufhaus des Westens" and she had 4 bodyguards. They caught the pickpocket, but it was the Security Guy from the Warehouse who coincidentially watched the action !

Edited by Guenther

some major mistakes besides that were already highlighted are:

# Should have had a secure place to hold his money and valuables in his room i.e. lockable bag chained to something

# had a shower and closed the door or lost sight of the girl he did not know.

udonthani
The cash carry is also normal, Udonthani, don't forget, we residents don't live here on vacation and have lots of errands to do. And ATM is inconvenient. Its a different situation. We can not avoid running around cashless.

it's true I often have as much 30,000 cash on me in my pouch. It's unavoidable. But there's no way I'd ever be carrying as much as that on a night out in Mango or indeed anywhere else. No way. I just bring however few thousand I think I'm going to spend.