A very old trick, but still valid

Stranded Shipscook

It happened so often in my years in Manila, almost every day one became a victim. It still happens, not currently in Cebu but Manila, Boracay and other Tourist places. The culprits travel a lot, and often disappear unknown and even sometimes unsuspected.

Modus Operandi: A friendly foreigner approaches you and warms up, This process can take several days actually.

Over the days he somehow gets access to our account number and signature. There are a kazillion tricks to make someone talk about his account and banks, after all, the crminals are pro's.

One example- he pretends to change a cheque for you, with a good rate, as he know a trick to get an incredible rate. Since he give you the cash ahead you trust him, what can you loose, its just a cheque and you got the cash already ?

A day after he comes hanging shoulders and says, that he can not change the cheque, and wants his pesos back, but you can keep the difference anyhow. Promise is Promise.

Generously you will waive that, if not, he just lost a few pesos, but he got your Details !

Or- he already made his other evil bank transaction and you will never see him again.

He then faxes your bank and asks for some transfer, pretending that he is 'you" and made some bargain purchase, so he needs the money. Yes, this is still possible ! Fax and faked signature !

To avoid that, inform your housebank prior to travel or actually forever and arrange a password/code for transactions like that.

be careful out there...

Stranded Shipscook

this happens to you ???

nope, did i say that ?:itsokay:

smokey

nope, did i say that ?:unsure:

well with all the other danger in the philippines just to cross the street is a lesson in the death run i would think the last thing on a expats mind is will he be scammed by a ID thief... and are you saying the locals are not smart enough to do the same thing so this is only a foreigners scam? no one can scam as good as a chinese ... no one

Edited by smokey
Baywak

Guenther,Man,that whole thing just screams out RIP OFFF from the getgo.

Stranded Shipscook

well with all the other danger in the philippines just to cross the street is a lesson in the death run i would think the last thing on a expats mind is will he be scammed by a ID thief... and are you saying the locals are not smart enough to do the same thing so this is only a foreigners scam? no one can scam as good as a chinese ... no one

This is exactly why i posted it. It is the last thing on the mind of a FOREIGNER to be scammed by an ID thief. And it is still very much alive in Manila, Baguio and Boracay.

samatm

This is exactly why i posted it. It is the last thing on the mind of a FOREIGNER to be scammed by an ID thief. And it is still very much alive in Manila, Baguio and Boracay.

YOu more chance of being scammed everytime you hand your credit card over to the waiter or counter person in a local shop.

Stranded Shipscook

YOu more chance of being scammed everytime you hand your credit card over to the waiter or counter person in a local shop.

That would be another topic actually... want to post it ?

Headshot

Well...having somebody say they will cash a check for you is one of the oldest scams in the books, so if anybody falls for that one, they probably deserve to lose some money. At the very least, they will receive some education in return for their money. I don't know anybody who carries checks with them anymore anyway. Since the advent of plastic, checks are pretty much relegated to the history books. I don't think I have paid for anything with a check in several years.

Stranded Shipscook

Well...having somebody say they will cash a check for you is one of the oldest scams in the books, so if anybody falls for that one, they probably deserve to lose some money. At the very least, they will receive some education in return for their money. I don't know anybody who carries checks with them anymore anyway. Since the advent of plastic, checks are pretty much relegated to the history books. I don't think I have paid for anything with a check in several years.

The trick is, that he GIVES you the money before you hand the cheque. And you be surprised how many people still have bankpapermoney with them from home and bring them along...

Europeans for instance a lot, since they got this "Eurocheque".

And its is not a bad idea actually, because standard bank cheques are SAFE because normally not cashable here, and if one gets in a real emergency, he can use them at his embassy and other places.

Also some people do NOT use credit cards on purpose because of the dangers connected with them. But i post another topic abut credit cardss on another time. You be surprised and scared what happens there !

Edited by Guenther