Sign in to follow this  
Paul

PayPal - A positive customer service experience

Paul

Tonight I rang up PayPal to request them to cancel a card that had not been received at my home address in the US. The agent told me that all I needed to do was to reapply for a new card through my PayPal account, online. So, as advised by him, I did that.

Unfortunately, I had some sort of issue with verification of who I was, and my account was to become locked in 14 days, or severely limited, until I could send PayPal various items that could prove that I was who I said I was. I had attempted to reapply, as advised, for the new Debit Card. Unfortunately, it denied my application this time. I was shocked, to say the least! Furthermore, when I went back to the main page, the link was there to lead me to the resolution page, where all the requirements were waiting for me. Well, thank God their customer service is as I remember it from 2006.

If it has never happened to you before, here is what your resolution page will look like, on Paypal, if your account has identification issues:

paypal_account.jpg

I uploaded a photocopy of my current passport identification page, but did not have a clue as to how I could get two other documents they requested. I pondered over it for a while, trying to figure out what to do. Rather than to start ringing numbers in the US, I decided to try to get PayPal Customer Service back on the line. So, on the phone again I went.

I got an agent who helped me sort the issue and cancelled the requirement for the other two documents. He was quite helpful and sorted the issues out in almost no time at all. Afterward, I mentioned to him that the system denied my second request for a Debit Card, just before my account was locked. I also received notification that I would not be eligible to reapply for another card for thirty (30) days. He made it a point to let me know that he could forward me to the Debit Card Customer Service, where I may find some answers. I could only hope. I thanked him and waited a few moments after he placed my call on hold.

A lovely, clear, young voice answered this time. She introduced herself as Hailey. She was very professional and listened to my story, at this point quite lengthy, on how I ended up on the other end of her phone line. She verified all of the information necessary to submit the application for me. She then informed me that she would have the second application submitted, and that I didn't need to worry about going back online to apply again.

She gave me some additional information after the matter was concluded, regarding the card issue. I appreciated the advice and help, and bid her good day.

I love it when I experience a customer service call like that. In fact, I do not recall ever having a negative experience on the phone with any PayPal agent. I will keep this in mind, the next time I have a "bad PayPal day".

Edited by Admin

Cary

Paul;

Thanks for that. I have never applied for the cards like you did but I have never had an issue with Paypal. Xoom, on the other hand, thats a different story, but Paypal has been solid for me.

Paul

Cary, I had one about 2005, a PayPal debit card. What I liked about it, and something that hasn't changed until today, is the fee to use it is only $1.00 USD. I'm sure local ATMs will still charge, but it is cheaper fee than most banks / credit unions will charge, for foreign ATM usage.

sam12six

Paypal is awesome as long as you're not moving lots of money through their system. When the $ amounts get high, their first instinct is to freeze the account on any question or situation. I've heard nightmare stories about people who suddenly got a boost in their paypal income and had the money they needed to pay their mortgage and feed their family held up for months for absolutely no reason (though the stated reason was suspicious activity).

Don't get me wrong, I use Paypal and have had nothing but good experiences personally. I'm just saying if you really depend on the money, don't make it your only option.

hookedtothenet

Paul,

Is your paypal account a US one or a Philippine one? Do both give you a debit card if requested?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Paul,

Is your paypal account a US one or a Philippine one? Do both give you a debit card if requested?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I have one based in the states and one in Australia. I haven't opened one in the Philippines yet.

Incidentally, I have yet to receive that stupid card. So, I guess I won't be getting one for my PayPal account in the states, after all. The second one never arrived either.

TheMatrix

That's kinda scary Paul. My entire existence here in the Philippines evolves around gaining money from my PayPal account on a regular (almost daily) basis. I've had my PayPal account for 14 years (two months after PayPal was founded), and I hope my account never gets locked. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Yikes!

Paul

Steve, I am actually shocked to hear this from you. You, being a trader and all that sort seem to be a level headed kind of guy. Even this ol' southern redneck knows to keep several sources from which to draw monies, as necessary.

What would you do in the event we had a catastrophic power outage here? This includes having access to no ATMs, no internet, etc. I always keep at least two months operating expenses available and accessible to me, at all times.

On a positive note, and in case you do not know this, I have a bank account in Australia attached to my Australian PayPal account. But, I also have a US based bank account attached to it as well. Yep. That way, I can transfer funds from (or to) PayPal, to either country, with the click of a mouse.

Edited by Admin

EAGLE

My main Bank Account "On-Line" service has been locked and a NEW verification code has to be sent by "Snail Mail"

I received notification when I logged-in yesterday AM that it is prudent to change the on-line password to increase security.?

So I changed mine.

Wrote it down first- in code. :rofl:

Entered the old one and the new one twice.

Logged-in again and did my business.

An hour later I again logged-in and I was locked out. :D

I rang Customer Service and was talked through the Security questions, "Sorry Sir, you have not satisfied the security requirements".? I said I had just changed them at their suggestion and I asked if she would try mu "old" details. "Sorry Sir your Account has been locked. We will post you a new code."

My Bank Branch is 1 Km. so not a problem and I can still use Telephone Banking on my Accounts but what a nuisance it would be if Abroad as happened once before while in S'Pore.

I called my Bank Manager and he said the on-line security does not like "surprises" and immediately locks the Account. "It is for your protection".

Which it is - I appreciate.

Edited by EAGLE

EAGLE

Steve, I am actually shocked to hear this from you. You, being a trader and all that sort seem to be a level headed kind of guy. Even this ol' southern redneck knows to keep several sources from which to draw monies, as necessary.

What would you do in the event we had a catastrophic power outage here? This includes having access to no ATMs, no internet, etc. I always keep at least two months operating expenses available and accessible to me, at all times.

On a positive note, and in case you do not know this, I have a bank account in Australia attached to my Australian PayPal account. But, I also have a US based bank account attached to it as well. Yep. That way, I can transfer funds from (or to) PayPal, to either country, with the click of a mouse.

? :closedeyes: Come the REVOLUTION.....

Paul

In my case, i was just ordering a debit card to make it a bit more convenient for me. However, my "credit rating" is so good with PayPal, that they will pay instantly, anyone whom I send an eCheck to. I found this out recently, when needing to pay some large sums of money out. The balance wasn't taken from my bank, actually, until a few days later.

hookedtothenet

Actually, I have one based in the states and one in Australia. I haven't opened one in the Philippines yet.

Incidentally, I have yet to receive that stupid card. So, I guess I won't be getting one for my PayPal account in the states, after all. The second one never arrived either.

Oh, That's not too good!

It will be interesting to see how the Philippine Paypal customer service is and if we can get a debit card here, I used to have a Aussie paypal account, but it isn't any use to me now as when I got divorced the Ex closed all of our bank accounts in Oz and I haven't been back to open another, which means I could have funds go into the account but have know way to extract them as I would need an Aussie bank account.

Thanks for the update.

Paul

It isn't a requirement that you have a bank account or a debit card attached to your PayPal account. You could simply use it to pay bills with, IF you have payments going into it anyway. I use each PayPal account for different things.

My PayPal account in the US, I use for payments (in and out), typically. My PayPal account in Australia, I use for donations, primarily to keep the two separate, so I know what I need to donate in the Philippines, and what to spend for online payments (software, upgrades, etc., for the forums).

A_Simple_Man

Its good to hear that your experience with them was good. They locked my account for some kind of identity issue 2 or 3 years ago. I just decided I couldn't be bothered to phone them and try to persuade them that they should do business with me. I found other ways. Same thing when Xoom did it to me.

I don't see the point of an on line service that requires you to do business via a phone. I hate phones. Probably because my hearing is not that great.

TheMatrix

Man, I don't know what I would do if there was a catastrophic power outage here. I really can't keep that much cash laying around. My monthly nut is about 200k with expenses and employee wages, and yes, I'm going to the ATM a couple/few times weekly to withdraw 34k ($800 Paypal maximum using two cards), just to keep my head above water. I don't have the extra cash, or else I would have a million laying around. I'll start saving :closedeyes:

Anyway, if there was a catastrophic power outage here that lasted more than a couple hours, I would have to leave the country right away due to my trading. knock on wood, hope its not gonna happen soon.