Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ward

Google Translate Will Not Work Well

Bob Ward

For Cebuano, Google translate does not work well because it will translate Filipino (Tagalog) fairly well, but Cebuano is not an option. So don't trust it when you are trying to figure out Cebuano text! Cheers! Just thought some would benefit from this information.

Topper

Never worked well for me neither.

Hamm

Use binisaya.com for translations.

Paul

Or, ask your g/f or wife, perhaps? Or, even better - LEARN it. :D

broden

Or, ask your g/f or wife, perhaps? Or, even better - LEARN it. :D

or just hear what ever you want to hear and go on from there

Davaoeno

or just hear what ever you want to hear and go on from there

and when you are able to do that with ease then you will know that you have successfully assimilated into the local culture !

[ maybe it should say "have been assimilated into" ??

broden

who says there's no such thing as a free lunch

Hamm

Or, ask your g/f or wife, perhaps? Or, even better - LEARN it. :thumbsup:

Bitaw. Pero usahay naay mga pulong nga di kasabot akong asawa bisan iyang sinultihan.

Cipro

My GF is from Gen Santos area, so she's speaking something else entirely, not either of the two usual suspects. Or maybe that's just when she's really excited. Hard to know for sure.

UZI

Binisay is great for single word translations but its web reader is very heavy handed with one word at a time hover over translations. Better than the nonsense Google comes up with though.

Jess Bartone

Binisay is great for single word translations but its web reader is very heavy handed with one word at a time hover over translations. Better than the nonsense Google comes up with though.

http://www.bohol.ph/diksyunaryo.php is slightly better in that you can enter multiple words and get multiple translations on one click, but they are still stand alone definitions without context. A nimble mind might be able to make a semi-coherent translation using the variety of meanings, but it is hit and miss.

For example, "where is the meaning?" I entered those four words and got this. To make a coherent Bisayan sentence out of that result would be extremely difficult. Maybe Google translate could employ Sem and Angie to write a translation service for them.

Edited by Jesse

Davaoeno

http://www.bohol.ph/diksyunaryo.php is slightly better in that you can enter multiple words and get multiple translations on one click, but they are still stand alone definitions without context. A nimble mind might be able to make a semi-coherent translation using the variety of meanings, but it is hit and miss.

For example, "where is the meaning?" I entered those four words and got this. To make a coherent Bisayan sentence out of that result would be extremely difficult. Maybe Google translate could employ Sem and Angie to write a translation service for them.

Maybe its just me, but to make a coherent English sentence out of " where is the meaning" would be extremely difficult . I just cant seem to remember the last time i heard someone ask that question! :)

sam12six

Outside of math, there are absolutes.

To properly translate more than the literal definition of a word is as much an art as a science. The best automated solutions can do is tell you what the words mean, it takes a real, live person to translate what the words together mean.

Look at it this way: to recycle internet content and create more opportunity for search engines to find a site, people will "spin" content (say the same thing, just in a different way). The most advanced and expensive automatic spinners still spit out a ton of absolute nonsense - and that's English to English.

Throw in translation between 2 languages with all the various ways of saying things each language has and it gets worse. Add idiom and it's impossible.