Canadian found dead, buried under piggery

Can I just add something to this confusion that may actually help Bob Ward and other combatants. You may be surprised to know that there are more than one rest home on Cebu. In other words, the rest home near Aburot's place where the action occurred may not be the same one Reutenberg had Aburot build for him. Would you hire someone to build you a rest home if you couldn't see an example of their work? Reutenberg probably saw the one Aburot built for himself and asked him to build one for himself. The story sounds to me like there are more than one rest home being referenced.

As I have already said, for me, the rest home only plays a part in this drama as being the catalyst for the argument over the alledged non payment. What I am trying to get from all the reports is over the gun.

Why was it referred to as a Frontier Revolver, when the normal description is hand gun or pistol. Sounds to me like someone knew exactly what it was because they recognised it. Was that the reporter or the policeman or the killer?

The gun, which no report that I have seen disputes so far, belonged to the victim, which raises all the ownership, legal issues. Plus how did arrive at the scene? Was it taken there on the day of the murder, which to me seems the most likely? Was it kept for some reason at the rest house which was being constructed? If the victim felt he needed a gun in that area, why did he decide to build there?

The Police & the killer have a lot of questions still to answer here.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UZI

• Davaoeno

• Bob Ward

• RickyL

Top Posters In This Topic

smokey

YEP!!!

You have lost me.?

a rest home is usually a shantie built on a farm or other property to allow the owner to REST during the heat of the day.... most rest homes are in fact just a shaded area with water close by.... unless your a mayor then your rest home is often 300 sq meters plus with a view and a 3 car garage..

Many Canadians have been murdered in the Philippines and no has ever been prosecuted for any of the killings. Including the 2 Canadians killed by the Police during the hostage taking bus incident in Manila.

How old was the shooter when he met the victim 26 or so?? That's not a street kid, that's a street adult. As far a the shooting goes, the victim just happen to have 50,000 pesos in his pocket when he was killed? How convenient. Sounds to me like the guy was murdered and robbery was the motived considering the loot that the stolen from the victim.

And who really knows if there was a non payment for construction work done. Could be, but the shooter's story can not be verified. However the shooter is an eye witness to what happen right, and we all know that an eye witness testimony carries a lot of weight in the Philippines.

Alan S

About the only FACTS we can say from the various newspaper reports are that:

A Canadian is dead.

He was shot.

A person confessed to shooting him.

Almost everything else may or may not be accurate.

Gien the paucity of information, speculation is pointess.

How old was the shooter when he met the victim 26 or so?? That's not a street kid, that's a street adult. As far a the shooting goes, the victim just happen to have 50,000 pesos in his pocket when he was killed? How convenient. Sounds to me like the guy was murdered and robbery was the motived considering the loot that the stolen from the victim.

And who really knows if there was a non payment for construction work done. Could be, but the shooter's story can not be verified. However the shooter is an eye witness to what happen right, and we all know that an eye witness testimony carries a lot of weight in the Philippines.

One report mentioned that he had just received his pension. Perhaps this was a standard practice to withdraw it & use cash.

Davaoeno

About the only FACTS we can say from the various newspaper reports are that:

A Canadian is dead.

He was shot.

A person confessed to shooting him.

Almost everything else may or may not be accurate.

Gien the paucity of information, speculation is pointess.

Have to disagree with you . Speculation has always been , and always will be very entertaining, as well as its keeping the ability to imagine and to use logic intact. Every movie we watch we speculate about who did what to whom and where. Most novels are full of speculation.

Now you say- of course speculation is ok-as long as we know all the facts ! but where is the fun and challenge in that.? We live in a culture where many decisions are made on very limited-or no- information. Get in touch with your pinoy side Alan ! lol

Alan S

The benefit of speculation is that it can lead to a correct solution to any given problem, WHEN IT IS TESTED.

In this case, none of us is in the position to test our hypothesis, so all we can do is suggest possibilities, without really knowing all the pre-existing facts, let alone being able to see if our speculation is true or not.

In that respect, it is pointless.

Entertaining?

Perhaps, but personally I get my entertainment in ways that I consider more fruitful.

Davaoeno

The benefit of speculation is that it can lead to a correct solution to any given problem, WHEN IT IS TESTED.

In this case, none of us is in the position to test our hypothesis, so all we can do is suggest possibilities, without really knowing all the pre-existing facts, let alone being able to see if our speculation is true or not.

In that respect, it is pointless.

Entertaining?

Perhaps, but personally I get my entertainment in ways that I consider more fruitful.

One mans garbage is another mans treasure !

Latest report:

Cops say family conspired to kill Canadian

CHARGES of robbery with homicide were filed yesterday against the farmer who admitted killing 53-year-old Canadian Darcy Hanz Reutenberg in the mountain barangay of Adlawon, Cebu City.

Rolando Aburot, 46, said he committed the crime alone.

But Aburot’s admission didn’t stop the police from filing charges against his wife Marilyn and their 17-year-old son for an alleged conspiracy.

The three respondents were brought before the Cebu City Prosecutors’ Office for inquest proceedings yesterday afternoon.

The charges were elevated before the Regional Trial Court.

A crime of robbery with homicide is nonbailable.

In an interview, Aburot said he was asked by Reutenberg to construct a rest house in a lot owned by the grandmother of the accused.

Reutenberg allegedly sought the permission of the lot owner.

However, Aburot found out that Reutenberg lied to him.

Also, the Canadian allegedly failed to pay him for building the house in a span of two weeks.

Last June 26, Aburot said he and the Canadian had a drinking session. Aburot confronted Reutenberg about the latter’s failure to seek the permission of his grandmother.

He said the Canadian allegedly got angry and pointed a firearm at him. Aburot said he grappled for the gun with Reutenberg.

When he got possession of the firearm, Aburot said he shot the Canadian in the head.

Aburot said he took P50,000 from the wallet of Reutenberg before he buried the Canadian in a pit used for charcoal making near his house.

Afterwards, Aburot cemented the grave, which he used as a pig pen.

So no one will know about the crime, Aburot bought seven piglets and placed them in the pen.

He also bought two carabaos.

Aburot said he didn’t inform his wife about the incident until the latter inquired about where he got the money to buy farm animals.

His wife allegedly sold the laptop for P8,000. Police recovered the laptop from a buyer.

Aburot claimed he knew Reutenberg for more than 15 years.

He said Reutenberg asked him to build a rest house in Adlawon since the foreigner looked forward to staying more often in the country.

Reutenberg’s landlady informed the police about his disappearance.

When police arrived in Reutenberg’s rest house, his neighbors pointed out a trail of blood that led to Aburot’s house.

Police later dug up a pit beside the newly cemented pig pen where they found Reutenberg’s decomposing remains.

The three respondents were later arrested. /Reporter Ador Vincent S. Mayol

Cebu Daily News

LastManStanding

I have some information from a relative of the wife (killer).

1. It wasn't 50k, it was 400k that was stolen

2. Nobody surrendered, when they escaped, the 7yr old daughter was left behind. The police used her in a sting to capture the parents

That's all I know. I do not know the details of the murder itself.

Headshot

2. Nobody surrendered, when they escaped, the 7yr old daughter was left behind. The police used her in a sting to capture the parents

Well...if that is accurate, then it was likely a pre-meditated murder and robbery. Many people in this country would do just about anything to get their hands on 400,000 pesos.

Davaoeno

There was a story today about a 75 year old woman here who had had the same helpers for 14 years. She trusted them enough that they had the combination to her safe. They have both just been arrested for stealing her jewellry [ pawned it] plus numerous other items including [ if i recall correctly] sheets and appliances .

I think the total haul was about 600,000 pesos

Edited by davaolife

Sorry but todays word is....Tsismis