Canadian found dead, buried under piggery

The story will be .....innocent.... because he acted in self defence, the dead guy can't tell his side of the story.....

Or,

The newspapers won't even report on what happens. Its just another dead foreigner in this country, they don't care.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UZI

• Davaoeno

• Bob Ward

• RickyL

Top Posters In This Topic

The story will be .....innocent.... because he acted in self defence, the dead guy can't tell his side of the story.....

Or,

The newspapers won't even report on what happens. Its just another dead foreigner in this country, they don't care.

I am sure glad you aren't a judge. Facts.....who needs them.

the.lone.gunman

Shot by a guy you saved from the gutter, who you have worked with as your aide for 20 years, with your own gun , while out drinking with him- all of that i can accept . But to be buried under a piggery?- thats just plain wrong !!

As a Canadian the thing that I find interesting is that it says he was carrying a gun. Altho it is common for Americans to carry guns - first amendment and all that- Canadians in general never carry guns . In 50 years of living in Canada i have never seen a hand gun in anyones hand- except for pollice. Its illegal and almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun . [ i said in general because gangsters carry guns, but few of them are missionaries]

Wrong. I am a Canadian, i have a license and permit to carry a handgun and I own several. i can carry anywhere in Canada 24 / 7 and I can fly and go through border crossings to the US if i have the correct US permits.I can also fly internationally with my guns if I make previous arrangements with the country i am entering. I am not the only one, there are lots like me.

I am sure glad you aren't a judge. Facts.....who needs them.

Exactly the point I was trying to make

Davaoeno

Wrong. I am a Canadian, i have a license and permit to carry a handgun and I own several. i can carry anywhere in Canada 24 / 7 and I can fly and go through border crossings to the US if i have the correct US permits.I can also fly internationally with my guns if I make previous arrangements with the country i am entering. I am not the only one, there are lots like me.

which part is wrong ? that in general Canadians dont carry guns? or that I havent seen someone carrying a gun ? or that its almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun [ other than as i mentioned law enforcement] ?

Section 20 of the act allows individuals to receive an authorization to carry, or ATC, granting permission to carry loaded restricted firearms or section 12(6) prohibited handguns on their persons for certain reasons specified in the act. These reasons are as follows: if the person is a licensed trapper and carries the firearm while trapping, if the person is in a remote wilderness area and needs the firearm for protection against wildlife, if the person's work involves guarding or handling money or other items of substantial value, or if the person's life is in danger and police protection is inadequate to protect him or her. It should be noted that the authorities almost never issue an ATC for the last reason, that is to say, because a person's life is threatened and police protection is inadequate. The vast majority of ATC's issued are to employees of armoured car companies to allow carry of a company owned firearm only while working

Edited by davaolife

which part is wrong ? that in general Canadians dont carry guns? or that I havent seen someone carrying a gun ? or that its almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun [ other than as i mentioned law enforcement] ?

Section 20 of the act allows individuals to receive an authorization to carry, or ATC, granting permission to carry loaded restricted firearms or section 12(6) prohibited handguns on their persons for certain reasons specified in the act. These reasons are as follows: if the person is a licensed trapper and carries the firearm while trapping, if the person is in a remote wilderness area and needs the firearm for protection against wildlife, if the person's work involves guarding or handling money or other items of substantial value, or if the person's life is in danger and police protection is inadequate to protect him or her. It should be noted that the authorities almost never issue an ATC for the last reason, that is to say, because a person's life is threatened and police protection is inadequate. The vast majority of ATC's issued are to employees of armoured car companies to allow carry of a company owned firearm only while working

Ignoring the Canadian legal requirements for a minute....perhaps someone can explain why an ex Canadian MISSIONARY was CARRYING a gun in the Philippines while having a drink with his trusted aide of 20 years. Jeez guys, follow the story here. Self defense, murder, robbery, all conjecture but the gun doesn't sit right in this. Nothing so far disputes it was the Canadians gun that was used and he & it were at the killers house. Not a case of a break in & robbery at the victims house. Clearly the killer is not innocent here but was the Canadian?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

maybe he wanted to get drunk and shoot at rats

tons of reasons some of them even plausible

Latest with a couple more 'facts' revealed - highlighted in red

Missing Canadian found dead in Philippines (AFP) – 3 hours ago

CEBU, Philippines — Philippine police said Saturday they had found the body of a missing retired Canadian missionary and arrested a family-of-three who owned the farm where the corpse was buried.

The decomposed remains, thought to be of Darcy Hans Rentenberg, 53, were sent for a post mortem examination to determine the cause of death, said Michael Codaste, a murder squad detective in the central city of Cebu.

Rentenberg's landlord reported him missing on July 5, 10 days after he left his flat in nearby Mandaue city on his motorbike and failed to return, Codaste said, reading from a police report.

"We have three suspects in custody," Codaste said, identifying them as Rentenberg's 46-year-old Filipino former assistant during his missionary work, the ex-aide's wife and their 17-year-old son.

Police looking for the missing Canadian visited the former aide's farm on the outskirts of Cebu on Thursday and found a concealed grave beneath a pig pen, Codaste said.

The family fled the property during the search but were arrested at a nearby village a few hours later, he said, adding that they were being held on suspicion of causing the Canadian's death and concealing his body.

Police said Rentenberg had been involved in missionary work in the Philippines from the 1980s and chose to live in the area at the end of his assignment. They said they did not have the name of his mission.

Canadian Foreign Affairs and International Trade ministry spokesman Alain Cacchione said: "The Canadian Embassy in Manila is in contact with the local police authorities to gather additional information."

"Due to the Privacy Act, no further information can be provided," he added.

The Canadian embassy in Manila was closed for the weekend.

So, this helps Bob Ward with some geographical assistance....no they did not live close to each other & I doubt that the rest house was in the farming area in the mountains but more likely near to the victims location in Mandaue.

fanboat

A lesson to be learned here,do not yell at your workers in front of his wife & always pay your construction workers!

ps...the shooter will walk on this one...just not enought evidence to convict here :scratch_head:

A lesson to be learned here,do not yell at your workers in front of his wife & always pay your construction workers!

ps...the shooter will walk on this one...just not enought evidence to convict here :scratch_head:

Perhaps on murder but robbery?

The murderer said the Canadian had a gun, he will say anything to save his ass at this point. I am sure he thought up a real good story prior to turning himself in....

Shot by a guy you saved from the gutter, who you have worked with as your aide for 20 years, with your own gun , while out drinking with him- all of that i can accept . But to be buried under a piggery?- thats just plain wrong !!

As a Canadian the thing that I find interesting is that it says he was carrying a gun. Altho it is common for Americans to carry guns - first amendment and all that- Canadians in general never carry guns . In 50 years of living in Canada i have never seen a hand gun in anyones hand- except for pollice. Its illegal and almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun . [ i said in general because gangsters carry guns, but few of them are missionaries]

As you know we don,t really need to carry a gun as it is fairly safe in most of Canada, But the Philippines is quite different than Canada, We are seen as an easy target to get lots of cash one way or another. With him being a missionary traveling around he would know where its safe and where its not. It seems to me that you can,t trust any one when it comes to money.

this one hit pretty close to home for me. From the same country and same age. That could of easily been my name in the paper

sam12six

I wonder if the police investigation would have found the couple, if he hadnt confessed?

I seriously doubt it. Even in the US (despite what people seen on CSI or Bones), the overwhelming majority of criminals where there is no witness (including cameras) are caught by them confession (which is why they try to talk to everyone who's possibly a suspect or witness - you never know when someone will blurt out that they did it), someone dropping the dime on them, or simple dumb luck.

In this case, the story tries to show how a smart investigation led to the killers by mentioning the pawned laptop, new farm animals, and the cops using their "magic cop instincts" to determine that an oddly placed pig sty might be covering a body. The truth is, if the guy had not literally walked up to police and said, "I did it.", the most they would have is a shaky case for theft (shaky because if they said the guy gave them the laptop and phone, there's no one to refute it).

In any country anywhere, if you commit a crime and ensure that there are no witnesses, you don't tell anyone, and don't leave blatant evidence (as in - your handprint in the victim's blood and the murder weapon wrapped in a towel under your bed), odds are you'll never be arrested for the crime.

In this particular case, the fenced goods and spending spree will torpedo the guy's "he owed me money and it was self defense" defense.

Davaoeno

To neighbors, Canadian Darcy Hanz Reutenberg, 53, was a kind man who helped street children and provided jobs to poor families through a bakery he set up in Mandaue City.

But to 46-year-old farmer Rolando Aburot, Reutenberg was a man who turned violent when he got drunk.

Police yesterday arrested the farmer for shooting dead Reutenberg last June 26, and stealing the victim’s P50,000 cash and laptop computer.

“I was angry at him. I didn’t intend to do it. We were drunk and he acts different when he’s drunk,” Aburot told reporters.

The Canadian’s body was found buried in a pit used for charcoal making near the farmer’s house in the mountain barangay of Adlawon, Cebu City.

The farmer hid the victim’s remains there. Neighbors noticed he suddenly had a lot of cash to bet in cockfights and buy a carabao and several piglets.

The Canadian, a former missionary, was last seen leaving on a motorbike from his house in Mandaue City last June 26.

The farmer told police that during a drinking session, he asked Reutenberg, for payment for his services in building a rest house for the Canadian in the barangay.

Aburot said Reutenberg got angry and pulled out a gun. They argued. The farmer said he managed to point the gun and shoot Reutenberg in the head.

The farmer said he found P50,000 in the victim’s pocket. He didn’t tell his wife about the murder until a week later when she asked where he suddenly got the money to buy farm animals.

His wife sold the laptop for P8,000, which police recovered from a buyer downtown.

Aburot said he had known the foreigner for more than 15 years.

The Canadian would visit the Philippines once or twice a year and stay in an apartment in Pagsabungan, Mandaue City.

He said the Canadian had asked him to build a rest house in Adlawon since he looked forward to staying more often in the country.

The foreigner reportedly has two children in Canada and was divorced from his South Korean wife.

Adlawon barangay captain Elvis Narra said Reutenberg used to be a born again Christian minister and would feed and send to school some street children. He also had a bakery in Mandaue City where he’d hire poor families.

Aburot said he wanted to be paid because he had payment to make for a motorcycle that his son used as a habal-habal motorcycle-for-hire.

A day after the killing, Aburot used the money he stole to buy materials for a pigpen and buried Reutenberg in a nearby pit intended for charcocal making. He then bought pigs and a cow.

Reutenberg’s landlady, Evelyn Rebuscit, informed police about his disappearance.

When police arrived in Reutenberg’s rest house, neighbors pointed out a trail of blood that led to Aburot’s home about 300 meters away.

The farmer fled. Police dug up a pit beside the newly cemented pig pen and found Reutenberg’s decomposing remains.

Aburot was later picked up at a gasoline station in barangay Talamban.

He and his wife Marilyn Gerenia and their 17-year-old son were then arrested.

Autospy results showed that the Canadian was shot at close range. Investigators found the gun buried in the farmer’s kitchen.