Canadian found dead, buried under piggery

Mailman

Canadian found dead, buried under piggery

CEBU, Philippines - A Canadian national who was reported missing since June 25 was found buried under a piggery on Thursday in Sitio Sapa, Barangay Adlaon, Cebu City.

The body of Darcy Hanz Rentenberg, 53, was exhumed from below an improvised kiln for making charcoal.

SPO3 Ruth Violango said Rentenberg was reported missing by his landlady, Evelyn Rebuscit, to the Mandaue City Police Station 3 after he left the morning of June 25 and did not return.

A man who was reported Rentenberg’s trusted aide, Rolando Aburot, later surrendered to the Cebu City Police Office and admitted responsibility for the crime.

His wife was also detained by police as accessory to crime.

Before he was killed, Rentenberg reportedly went to sitio Sapa to have a drinking session with Aburot.

In an interview, Aburot told The FREEMAN that while they were drinking at 11 p.m. on June 26, he asked Rentenberg to pay him for his work in constructing the Canadian’s small rest house for 14 days.

But Rentenberg shouted at Aburot in Cebuano, “di ko bayad sa balay, wala ko dinhi.”

This angered Aburot who immediately shot Rentenberg in the back of his head using Rentenberg’s own Frontier revolver.

The suspect said he immediately wrapped Rentenberg’s body with a blanket and buried it under a kiln few feet away from the rest house.

After burying Rentenberg, he then cemented the grave and turned it into a pig fence.

Aburot said he took Canadian’s P50,000 cash which he used to purchase a buffalo and pigs.

Aburot’s wife, Marilyn, reportedly sold Rentenberg’s laptop for P8,000 and cell phone for P1,000. The police, however, retrieved those items after the suspects’ surrender.

The Canadian Embassy got worried of Rentenberg’s disappearance and commissioned a policeman to look for him.

The police officer and barangay officials went to Sitio Sapa to investigate Aburot’s couple who were the last persons to have seen Rentenberg.

During their investigation, they noticed an odd piggery 300 feet away from the couple’s house cramped with seven pigs.

After seeking permission from the barangay and landowner, the police and barangay officials started digging beside the piggery and found a body of a man later.

When the body was identified to be that of the missing Canadian, Aburot, his wife and 17-year-old son immediately fled the area.

But fearing for their lives, the Aburot couple later surrendered to the police.

Aburot, who is facing a murder charge, has known Rentenberg for 20 years. It was the Canadian who took him from the streets and gave him a new life.

A former missionary, Rentenberg has been helping street kids since arriving in the Philippine in the 1980s.

Sad.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UZI

• Davaoeno

• Bob Ward

• Jess Bartone

shadow

No good deed goes unpunished!

LinD

Paul

I'm shocked. Perhaps this country is changing, after all...

!. Shot him with his OWN gun.....why was a Canadian carrying a gun at his 'trusted aides' house?????

2. Known each other for 20 years & he shoots him for saying he hadn't paid him because he hadn't been around...???

Like all of these cases....much more to this than meets the eye & reported.

Good Police work for a change though.

Headshot

I'm shocked. Perhaps this country is changing, after all...

Or perhaps Rentenberg was changing...a missionary who carries a sidearm on a drinking spree? I don't know how to interpret the "trusted aide" thing. It certainly seems he trusted the wrong person, but truthfully, I can't think of anybody here whom I would name as a "trusted aide." This story certainly points out one thing. Canada obviously cares a lot more about its citizens than the US does about its citizens. If he had been an American, it would have been months or years before the Embassy finally noticed he was missing...if they ever did.

Davaoeno

Shot by a guy you saved from the gutter, who you have worked with as your aide for 20 years, with your own gun , while out drinking with him- all of that i can accept . But to be buried under a piggery?- thats just plain wrong !!

As a Canadian the thing that I find interesting is that it says he was carrying a gun. Altho it is common for Americans to carry guns - first amendment and all that- Canadians in general never carry guns . In 50 years of living in Canada i have never seen a hand gun in anyones hand- except for pollice. Its illegal and almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun . [ i said in general because gangsters carry guns, but few of them are missionaries]

Edited by davaolife

I do not expect you to know that it is the 2nd ammendment of the U.S. constitution that guarantees 'the right to bear arms'.As an american living abroad in many places around the world,the philippines is the first,and I hope last,place that I have found it necessary to 'ARM' myself.And that was only after the third time I was targeted for a robbery(and it actually happened!).This was the one place that I thought I would not have to 'ARM' myself,and wowo,was I wrong.None of the robberies I have suffered here involved alcohol,socializing with locals.They had to do with people wanting to rob my possesions,money...plain and simple,because I am presumed to be rich becuase I am an AMERICAN.

Shot by a guy you saved from the gutter, who you have worked with as your aide for 20 years, with your own gun , while out drinking with him- all of that i can accept . But to be buried under a piggery?- thats just plain wrong !!

As a Canadian the thing that I find interesting is that it says he was carrying a gun. Altho it is common for Americans to carry guns - first amendment and all that- Canadians in general never carry guns . In 50 years of living in Canada i have never seen a hand gun in anyones hand- except for pollice. Its illegal and almost impossible to get a license to carry a gun . [ i said in general because gangsters carry guns, but few of them are missionaries]

Jess Bartone

It all sounds too convenient, everything fell into place too easily. I am reminded of the initial investigation into the Pique murder, was made to look like an open and shut case, although of course that later fell apart.

How does a piggery look suspicious? I am not suggesting the fellow is innocent, it's probably just the Filipino style of journalism, always seems to raise more questions than it answers.

Davaoeno

It all sounds too convenient, everything fell into place too easily. I am reminded of the initial investigation into the Pique murder, was made to look like an open and shut case, although of course that later fell apart.

How does a piggery look suspicious? I am not suggesting the fellow is innocent, it's probably just the Filipino style of journalism, always seems to raise more questions than it answers.

I got the impression [ from watching movies! lol] that one way organized crime gets rid of dead bodies is to put them in the pig pen- and that the pigs will eat them. [ maybe this guy just misunderstood what he was supposed to do !!]

smokey

I got the impression [ from watching movies! lol] that one way organized crime gets rid of dead bodies is to put them in the pig pen- and that the pigs will eat them. [ maybe this guy just misunderstood what he was supposed to do !!]

i know this is a funny story for you ... foreigner befriends street people helps them they then turn around and kill him for money... yea i can see the humor in this story... have you ever helped a local ? if so better not open a piggery

Davaoeno

i know this is a funny story for you ... foreigner befriends street people helps them they then turn around and kill him for money... yea i can see the humor in this story... have you ever helped a local ? if so better not open a piggery

Gee smokey, lighten up a bit !

smokey

!. Shot him with his OWN gun.....why was a Canadian carrying a gun at his 'trusted aides' house?????

2. Known each other for 20 years & he shoots him for saying he hadn't paid him because he hadn't been around...???

Like all of these cases....much more to this than meets the eye & reported.

Good Police work for a change though.

let me break it down for you .... guy was a missionary finds a street kid 20 years go by now the street kid ( trusted Aid) has a child of his own... thinks he is owed money for helping this so called friend and when he dont get what he feels is the right amount he shots him and buries him you know kind of like throwing out the trash ... Oh brings the old saying to mind... In God we trust all others pay cash...

Davaoeno

let me break it down for you .... guy was a missionary finds a street kid 20 years go by now the street kid ( trusted Aid) has a child of his own... thinks he is owed money for helping this so called friend and when he dont get what he feels is the right amount he shots him and buries him you know kind of like throwing out the trash ... Oh brings the old saying to mind... In God we trust all others pay cash...

I'm trying to respect Paul's wishes re not getting into fights with people and not attacking people- but sometimes it is soooo hard to do !!

smokey

Gee smokey, lighten up a bit !

the ungrateful low lifes throw his body away like its trash.. and then divvy up the money and stuff... i see the wife sold the cell phone and lap top... loving family ?