3D printing/printers

thebob

Extremely cool, what they should point out is the the scanner and the printer don't need to be in the same place.

The example of loosing a tool in space is good, but you wouldn't need to take that tool into space for a just in case situation in the first place!

When something goes wrong be it on a spaceship or a ship at sea, you can just transmit the data file, to produce the necessary part or tool in situ.

Alan S

These used to be fantastically expensive, but prices have now fallen to more reasonable levels.

(With luck, they will get cheaper still and I will be able to afford one!)

They are ideal for prototypes, or for lost-wax castings.

Mr. Mike

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this technology! Scanning, powder, inkjet, resins, color, and a solid.....but working prototype/replica as a result!..........I had no idea!........but I was dropped on my head when I was young!

Edited by Mr. Mike
HeyMike

Amazing... thank you for sharing that video. The future is here.

.......yeah & just when you REALLY needed it to work, you would have a problem like Guenther had

KennyF

Me thinks there's more to this than just pressing a button.

For instance, how does the system know that the red drum rotates on an axis?

When the guy clicked on the adjusting knurled drum to colour it red, how did it know that the drum was a separate item?

How did it know the lower jaw slides to meet the upper jaw?

I can see the possibility of 3d printing, it's been around for a while in various guises but how would such a scanner/printer combination know which parts were moving and how they would move?

Think back to 2001 a space Odyssey.

All the boxes of cereal were perfect reproductions but only two dimensional as there was no way for the duplicator to know there was a third dimension.

Like I said, I think there's more to this than we saw in the video.

KonGC

Paul

I can't help but wonder - is this material recyclable? If not, I see a whole lot more waste ahead.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that's pretty cool

here's the more delicious version

earlier model in action

Alan S

One of the first films I saw showing this technology was by Jay Leno. (It is probably on the internet.)

He had a broken part (a gear I believe), that a machine scanned, transfered the information to the printer, where software added the allowance for casting, and the printer produced a slightly-larger printed plastic gear.

That was taken to a foundry where they cast the new part, that was then accurate to size.

As anyone who has had anything to do with patternmaking will know, it is time consuming and expensive, and nowadays, it is hard to find people who can do it.