Sign in to follow this  
turbo black

Building A Boat With A Local Builder

turbo black

hi guys,

i need a little help, i would like to have built a 19' wooden fishing boat with an outboard motor.i emailed a boat builder on cebu and gave him my specs. he emailed me back and gave me a price of 9000 usd without a motor. my wife flipped and told me no way i could do better with a native builder. is this true and where?

BobH
hi guys,

i need a little help, i would like to have built a 19' wooden fishing boat with an outboard motor.i emailed a boat builder on cebu and gave him my specs. he emailed me back and gave me a price of 9000 usd without a motor. my wife flipped and told me no way i could do better with a native builder. is this true and where?

Does your wife fully understand how important a boat is to a long term relationship?

On a more serious note, may I ask why you want a wooden boat with all the maintance, etc?

BobH

Bob Ward
Does your wife fully understand how important a boat is to a long term relationship?

On a more serious note, may I ask why you want a wooden boat with all the maintance, etc?

BobH

Because they don't do fiberglass in the Phils.

Paul

You could buy a hell of a pump boat for 7,000 USD, with everything from the motor to the prop! Trust what your wife told you, it's true.

turbo black

my wife wants me to get the boat but not to be ripped off. she will even send her brother the chief of police to order it. lol

paul, what is a pump boat? what they do is make a wooden boat and epoxy fiberglass cloth on it. keep coming with suggestions please.

Paul

Here is a photo of a pump boat:

pump_boat.jpg

This one is for tours. I have a friend who has one he lives on, and know others who have theirs set up for overnight outings. So, how it is modified is totally up to you.

HTH

Bet_Busta

A pump boat is an outrigger motor boat. The smaller ones had the in board engines up to 16hp ( like Briggs and Stratton)

while the bigger ones already use car deisel engines. The good makers of this are in Masbate while some has moved to

Malapascua. They normally don't do fiberglass and may not know how to do it, so you may hve to supervise the making

to hve it laminated. A 19 footer pumpboat is too small. $7,000 can go a long way.

Outboard engines are expensive. Cheaper ones are the China made.

Olympus in Mandaue makes fiberglass pumpboats (FRP, fiber re-inforced plastic). May not be the size you want.

Fiberglass and epoxy is ready available here, a lot cheaper than in U.S. To build a boat to your desire, it may be better

to buy a plan (like Glen-L), hire carpenters and build the boat in your backyard.

Below is a link to local home builders. One of the guys, Wannabesailor, is building an FRP sailboat. He is Cebu based.

http://www.pinoyboats.org/forum/viewtopic....54&start=45

turbo black

thank you paul and bet busta for your info. this will get me started in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Ken Grome

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted everyone to know that I'm one of Paul's friends from several years ago, so you can find out all the dirt you'd like on me just by asking him ... :)

More importantly, I have my own small boat building shop out in the province south of Cebu City and I just quoted a price of only $3500 to an American whose son lives somewhere in the Philippines.

The thing is, my price is for a 32 foot pumpboat hull that is built to American standards, but without the propulsion or steering system and without the akas or amas -- just the completed main hull. Here are the specs if anyone is interested in a similar boat:

Standard features:

- overall size of the finished hull: length about 32.0 feet, width about 3.5 feet, height about 3.25 feet

- all plywood joints epoxy/glass taped with 400 gsm +45/-45 degree biaxial fiberglass tape, unthickened epoxy, and structural fillets made with epoxy thickened with milled fibers, kalsomine and Cabosil

- one layer 200 gsm fiberglass cloth / epoxy - inside hull

- one layers 200 gsm glass cloth and epoxy - outside hull

- two layers 600 gsm woven roving on chines and bowstem for superior abrasion resistance

- 9 mm Santa Clara marine plywood - sides and transom

- two layers of 9 mm Santa Clara marine plywood - bottom

- non-skid embedded in the paint on the bottom inside

- solid lumber bowstem of 2x2 Tugas (mangrove wood)

- 1x2 outwales of Red Meranti (Lauan) lumber

- 1x2 splash rails of Red Meranti (Lauan) lumber

- 1x1 inboard seat rails of Red Meranti (Lauan) lumber

- free flooding anchor well forward

- forward flush deck aft of anchor well to shed boarding waves

- sealed airtight flotation chamber beneath forward deck

- dry secure storage area beneath forward deck

- aft free-flooding 'splash well' forward of the transom

- sealed airtight flotation chamber beneath the splash well

- splash deflecting enclosure for the engine

- built-in tool compartment for the engine tools

- sliding adjustable plywood seats can be positioned anywhere along the length of the hull aft of the forward decked area and forward of the aft splash well bulkhead (except where the engine is installed of course)

- all wood components pre-treated with TimberCare (or equivalent) Zinc Naphthenate prior to installation to help prevent rot if encapsulated wood should absorb moisture in the future

- two coats of two-part epoxy primer - white

- three coats of 100% acrylic enamel finish paint - white

Options:

- engine, clutch system for neutral gear, drive shaft, propeller, rudder, and other propulsion and steering components

- Philippine style akas and amas made of bamboo, pre-coated with epoxy then painted with marine oil-based paint

- American style akas and planing amas made of laminated lumber and plywood rather than natural bamboo

- custom fitted reinforced heavy duty PVC tarp cover to help insure that no rainwater gets into the boat when stored

- secure interlocking plywood panel covers to help prevent theft and to insure that no rainwater gets into the boat

- exterior sheathing of Xynole instead of fiberglass for extreme abrasion protection

- special paint colors, custom graphics and lettering

- other custom features as per customer request

Well that's it. If you're interested you can call me at (32) 486-9323 or email me at [email protected]

Edited by Ken Grome

joemama

do you have any pics of a finished boat that you would be willing to share?

Ken Grome

Hi joemama,

I rebuilt my father-in-law's 18 foot paddle banca but I never took pictures. It is still in storage awaiting his decision to sell it or use it. He recently decided to lease it two of our neighbors for a share of their catch, so I might have some pictures during the next month or so.

Here are the pictures of my Tolman Seabright Skiff. It's not finished yet but at least these pictures give you an idea of the 'American style' construction I was talking about earlier:

http://www.bagacayboatworks.com/images/seabright01/

http://www.bagacayboatworks.com/images/seabright02/

http://www.bagacayboatworks.com/images/seabright03/

I was building this TS Skiff for export/sale in the USA but boat sales have dried up there due to high fuel prices so now I intend to keep it myself or sell it here. It is big enough to carry 20 people and it is seaworthy enough to do this safely, but it was really designed as a fishing / recreational / utility boat so I may use it personally for tuna fishing or to take inter-island trips with my family and friends when it's done.

I also built several 'dwarf kayaks' too, they are only 6.5 feet long, light and easy to carry, 200 pound capacity, and unsinkable with built-in sealed air chambers fore and aft -- fun and responsive little boats to paddle around in, play in small waves and surf, and go exploring near shore -- but strictly personal recreational boats. I designed them to sell at SM, Gaisano Metro, etc. for 9500 pesos retail (more or less) and for resorts to buy then for rental to their guests. I'm seeking a graphic artist to give them fancy bright paint jobs so they look 'cool' when I introduce them to buyers ... :)

700words

Hi,

I actually know someone who builds fiberglass boats in Cebu... Yachts and any watersports you need.. He's shop is in mandaue... If you want more info, message me... :thumbsup:

Bob Ward
Hi,

I actually know someone who builds fiberglass boats in Cebu... Yachts and any watersports you need.. He's shop is in mandaue... If you want more info, message me... :thumbsup:

They can't message you because you do not have sufficient posts to send or receive PMs. I bet the boat builder is Australian!

700words

sorry didn't know that... im kinda new here... yeah, you probably know Martin too... he loves serveca negra... lol

dave
Here is a photo of a pump boat:

post-3-1190522981_thumb.jpg

This one is for tours. I have a friend who has one he lives on, and know others who have theirs set up for overnight outings. So, how it is modified is totally up to you.

HTH

I am very much interested in getting information, plans, etc for a boat like this...but MUCH larger. Please message me if anyone knows someone who can draw up complete plans, bill of materials, etc