Davao City Mayor (Female) punches Sherif

I thought Asians were supposed to be champions of martial arts and other fighting methods, they all fight like p*ssys!!!

Check out South Korea for better moves. Fights in their national assembly are a regular thing.

I'm told it's because these politicians have impunity during their terms. Any normal person wouldn't get away with it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markham

• Davolives

• easy44

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

CardiacKid

Wow ! 2 highest orders in just one post!! Must be a new record.

Lets see if I have the rules right- I am allowed to say " this post is stupid" but I am not allowed to say " the poster is stupid" Is that correct?

Well then, this post is possibly the most stupid, most assinine, most arrogant, most contemptuous, most inciteful, most obviously out to lunch, most idiotic, most devoid of any kind of basic sense of any post I have ever read here- in other words a piece of bullshit and crap of the highest order ! Truly a piece of garbage.

Of course the poster is none of those things

Makes you wonder if the poster you refer to lives in the real world. Has he ever been to the RP and visited the squatter areas? Seems to me that the Sheriff was the arrogant one in this scenario. Mayor Duterte showed more compassion and concern for her poor constituents than any number of the mealy mouthed politicians common here. She asked only that the demolition be delayed for 2 hours so that she could talk to the people about to lose their homes. Preventing bloodshed seemed to be her only goal. By refusing her request, the Sheriff should be held responsible in the court of public opinion. Possibly his intent was to put her in her place and show that male dominance was still thriving in Davao City. He was sadly and painfully mistaken. Why is it when this country has something to be proud of, there are always those who wish to destroy it? The peace, order,and cleanliness situation in Davao City is something that should be copied, not destroyed. As to the comment that she looks like a man. That comment shows a shallowness of thought and a total lack of maturity. Anyone still judging people by their exterior has my sympathy. Your road to maturity will be a long and arduous one.

CardiacKid

She looks like a man

Could you please describe for the rest of us what a woman is supposed to look like? She looks the way God made her. She also appears to have an intact spinal column and the will to carry out her convictions. Probably not a good candidate to be the wife of a domineering and abusive husband.

Davolives

Could you please describe for the rest of us what a woman is supposed to look like? She looks the way God made her. She also appears to have an intact spinal column and the will to carry out her convictions. Probably not a good candidate to be the wife of a domineering and abusive husband.

Mayor Duterte is not only a working woman but also the mother of several children. Maybe some posters would like to post pictures of their mothers so we can see what a woman is supposed to look like !!

Mayor Duterte is not only a working woman but also the mother of several children. Maybe some posters would like to post pictures of their mothers so we can see what a woman is supposed to look like !!

My mom would knock me out if I stuck her picture in some Internet forum.

thebob

Makes you wonder if the poster you refer to lives in the real world. Has he ever been to the RP and visited the squatter areas?

For your information, I live in an area that we had to defend, somewhat successfully, against illegal removal of squatters by court order.

This involved weeks of intimidation, physical violence against members of my household, including a stabbing, personal threats of shooting against me and threats of arson. Finally an expensive court case settled our problem.

I don't challenge your experience because it has no bearing on the right and wrongs in this case.

Seems to me that the Sheriff was the arrogant one in this scenario. Mayor Duterte showed more compassion and concern for her poor constituents than any number of the mealy mouthed politicians common here. She asked only that the demolition be delayed for 2 hours so that she could talk to the people about to lose their homes.

In our situation it was the elected officials who, whilst hundreds of homes were distorted, attempted to make political capital, exactly what Mayor Duarte was doing. It was this interference in the due process that almost cost us our home and the livelihood of my girlfriend.

Preventing bloodshed seemed to be her only goal. By refusing her request, the Sheriff should be held responsible in the court of public opinion.

If her goal was to prevent bloodshed she should have been there a couple of hours earlier. Her excuse that she was distributing relief goods for flood victims is just another soundbite. Are the services of DAVAO LGU so short of workers that they need the mayor to hand out boxes? This stunt was also done so that she could gain political capital for distributing goods paid for by taxes.

Court of public opinion? I hope she gets held responsible in a far more legitimate court than that.

Possibly his intent was to put her in her place and show that male dominance was still thriving in Davao City. He was sadly and painfully mistaken. Why is it when this country has something to be proud of, there are always those who wish to destroy it?

His intent was to carry out the legal order sent down by the court and the mayor should support him in that duty as an elected official according to her pledge of office.

I am proud of the Sheriff, because he stuck to his guns even after being intimidated by a powerful public official.

The peace, order,and cleanliness situation in Davao City is something that should be copied, not destroyed.

As the place is famous for hit squads, I don't really follow your wish to replicate this system countrywide.

As to the comment that she looks like a man. That comment shows a shallowness of thought and a total lack of maturity. Anyone still judging people by their exterior has my sympathy. Your road to maturity will be a long and arduous one.

Finally a point we both agree on.

Paul

Well, I don't know about the rest of you good folk, but I may just try to meet her while I am in Davao, if for nothing more, than to shake her hand.

Oh, I don't think the sheriff will push anything here either. I think he wants to have everyone forget, as soon as reasonably possible, that he got his ass whipped by a girl woman. :thumbsup:

Edited by Admin
Before Bob Ward corrects me.
easy44

Well, I don't know about the rest of you good folk, but I may just try to meet her while I am in Davao, if for nothing more, than to shake her hand.

Oh, I don't think the sheriff will push anything here either. I think he wants to have everyone forget, as soon as reasonably possible, that he got his ass whipped by a girl woman. :D

What choice did he have? Punch her lights out? It looks like he would probably be capable of doing that. I don't think this incident does anything to enhance her image as mayor of one of the biggest cities in the Philippines, although she obviously gets brownie points from rednecks. LOL

I just would like to point out some clarification on some of your contentions.

....In our situation it was the elected officials who, whilst hundreds of homes were distorted, attempted to make political capital, exactly what Mayor Duarte was doing. It was this interference in the due process that almost cost us our home and the livelihood of my girlfriend.

She wasn't in it for political mileage, the Duterte's don't need to as they're not aspiring for any national position and the election is still far away to be taken into consideration.The fact also that her father turned down several offers to hold a Cabinet rank since Pres. Ramos, Erap, and Arroyo already speaks for itself. The only reason Mayor Sarah plead (not ordered, mind you) to hold the demolition for at least 2 hours was that so she can be there during the implementation and prevent chaos and bloodshed as the people will listen to her. If you noticed, when she arrived, the rioting stopped upon seeing her and made both protagonist, the demolition and the illegal settlers to sit down and castigated them for their actions. There never was an interference, she just wanted to oversee things so the people who are about to lose their homes will feel assured that the gov't is not going to leave them out as there is already a relocation site readied for them. If you want to know why these people still resisted the demolition despite the court's order and with a relocation site ready, then that's another story you need to know why if you have already experience such.

If her goal was to prevent bloodshed she should have been there a couple of hours earlier. Her excuse that she was distributing relief goods for flood victims is just another soundbite. Are the services of DAVAO LGU so short of workers that they need the mayor to hand out boxes? This stunt was also done so that she could gain political capital for distributing goods paid for by taxes.

It's not only about distribution of relief goods, it's also about showing herself as the head of the city that she was there and taking stock of the situation and completely understand their plight of not only losing their properties but losing their loves ones also.

Court of public opinion? I hope she gets held responsible in a far more legitimate court than that.

She already said she will submit to any punitive action taken against her but in the public opinion she's indeed winning.

His intent was to carry out the legal order sent down by the court and the mayor should support him in that duty as an elected official according to her pledge of office.

I am proud of the Sheriff, because he stuck to his guns even after being intimidated by a powerful public official.

I agree with you but the Mayor never said to stop the demolition but to delay so she can be there with the Sheriff because these people (the squatters) will not respect the Sheriff's authority but will respect and obey the Mayor. I know there is also a provision in the Philippine law where during an implementation of a demolishing/evicting squatters, a local city official or its representative has to be present, i just can't recall where i've read it. Unfortunately, the Sheriff did not take heed and if you must know, this Sheriff has been found gulity with grave abuse of authority before by the Supreme Court. Here's the link of that case ->h t t p : //sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/2008/june2008/P-07-2384.htm

As the place is famous for hit squads, I don't really follow your wish to replicate this system countrywide.

It might be true before but it is not now in the present time. I rarely heard of one happening lately in Davao but still hears it in other places of the Philippines, maybe you don't know it but if you watch local news, they term it as "salvage". You should listen carefully when watching local news and i can assure you it's not only in Davao that it happens but also in Cebu and Manila as well. Your wishes is just for naught, it's been there in the country eversince but it's only in Davao that it was publicised much to deter the criminally minded in staying in Davao.

Okay, i found the provision where a local official should be present during evictions and demolitions.

It's clear now the sheriff himself violated a law although the punching incident is not a class act.

section RA 7279 or the Urban Development and Housing Act of 1992 requires local government officials to be present during evictions and demolitions

thebob

I agree with you but the Mayor never said to stop the demolition but to delay so she can be there with the Sheriff because these people (the squatters) will not respect the Sheriff's authority but will respect and obey the Mayor.

Thank you for your reply, your link was very interesting.

I'd like to quote from that ruling-:

"When a writ is placed in the hands of a sheriff, it is his duty, in the absence of any instructions to the contrary, to proceed with reasonable celerity and promptness to execute it according to its mandate. However, the prompt implementation of an order of seizure is called for only in instances where there is no question regarding the right of the plaintiff to the property.[38] Where there is such a question, the prudent recourse for Andres is to desist from executing the order and convey the information to his judge and to the plaintiff."

The mayor wanted to delay the issue not because of a question "regarding the right of the plaintiff to the property", but because of public order concerns.

If he had delayed the implementation on the concerns of the mayor, he would have been open to another case of gross negligence for not proceeding "with reasonable celerity and promptness to execute it according to its mandate".

As a lawyer the mayor would have been aware of this.

I know there is also a provision in the Philippine law where during an implementation of a demolishing/evicting squatters, a local city official or its representative has to be present, i just can't recall where i've read it. Unfortunately, the Sheriff did not take heed and if you must know, this Sheriff has been found gulity with grave abuse of authority before by the Supreme Court. Here's the link of that case ->http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/2008/june2008/P-07-2384.htm

Local city officials were in attendance and the mayor was aware of this as she is accountable of the duties of her staff. She decided to attend to distributing relief goods, the timing of which wasn't critical, instead of attending this important event, the timing of which was mandated by the court.

udonthani

they think once they're in power that there is so such thing as any rule of law, except theirs.

until such a thing as rule of law comes up, and they get punishment by having their sorry traitorous asses getting carted off to jail, there will be so change.

Davolives

The decision of the court in the 2008 case against this sheriff includes this paragraph in the judgment :

True, sheriffs must comply with their mandated ministerial duty to implement writs promptly and expeditiously, but equally true is the principle that sheriffs by the nature of their functions must at all times conduct themselves with propriety and decorum and act above suspicion. There must be no room for anyone to conjecture that sheriffs and deputy sheriffs as officers of the court have conspired with any of the parties to a case to obtain a favorable judgment or immediate execution. The sheriff is at the front line as representative of the judiciary and by his act he may build or destroy the institution.[

WHEREFORE, the Court finds Abe C. Andres, Sheriff IV, RTC of Davao City, Branch 16, GUILTY of gross neglect of duty and grave abuse of authority (oppression) and is SUSPENDED for one (1) year and six (6) months without pay. He is also hereby WARNED that a repetition of the same or similar offenses in the future shall be dealt with more severely.

Edited by Davolives
thebob

Exactly, he doesnt need a violent mayor there to try and usurp the power of the court by trying to delay his mandate.

A dely would have been prejiducial to the case, and incurred extra costs for the implimentation of the warrant. This could be construed as graft.

Davolives

Exactly, he doesnt need a violent mayor there to try and usurp the power of the court by trying to delay his mandate.

A dely would have been prejiducial to the case, and incurred extra costs for the implimentation of the warrant. This could be construed as graft.

this entire post is utter nonsense and insulting to any reader's intelligence !