Davao City Mayor (Female) punches Sherif

Bob Ward

Perhaps a Freudian slip bit nevertheless fundamental to your distaste for the events as they unfolded. It's possible Sara reacted simply because she had had enough of this kind of attitude, of being seen merely as the daughter of Rodrigo Duterte and, once and for all, made the arrogant "fathers" of the city look directly at her instead of over her shoulder at Rodrigo standing behind her. And for all the displays of prescient insight none of the spruiking foreigners contributing to this thread really have any idea of how the subtle interlacing of personalities works in Philippine law... it's easy to watch it for a while and think you know, as evidenced in some of the comments.

I am astounded that in their fervour, some of Sara's detractor's have avoided - or at least overlooked - one very important point which Mark has raised. What is the story behind the Chinese man and the sudden rush to have the lot cleared for an outsider? Does anyone reading this think they could get the sheriff to act so time poor and determined for them?... maybe off topic... How does a foreigner get to own land in the Philippines? Which means the father who bequeathed it to the evictees bought it before 1935. Is it possible that Sara has some knowledge of why the process is being pushed ahead of time instead the usual Filipino time? For you guys to focus on a few girly punches and utterly ignore the background, which I suspect is very ugly and dirty, speaks either of a simple need to be right, or a complete and utter miscomprehension of not only the story, but of the Philippines and her people.

The Sheriff stinks, Sara has the moral high ground, and the rest is all just hot air.

Can you explain where you get your insight into this matter?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markham

• Davolives

• easy44

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul
And the moderator rules state that if you are in the middle of a discussion that another moderator should handle it!

Well, .....................................

That close, but it isn't entirely true.

My specific rule for Moderators states the following: If you (Moderator) are in a conflict involving yourself and another member of the forums, let another Moderator or Administrator sort the difference, who is not involved.

If this was a conflict involving Mark and another member, then someone else should step in and sort it. Since I have not viewed the deleted content, I can only make the previous statements.

Jess Bartone

Can you explain where you get your insight into this matter?

It is not I that speaks so insightfully... nor with a forked tongue.

Headshot

Well, .....................................

That close, but it isn't entirely true.

My specific rule for Moderators states the following: If you (Moderator) are in a conflict involving yourself and another member of the forums, let another Moderator or Administrator sort the difference, who is not involved.

If this was a conflict involving Mark and another member, then someone else should step in and sort it. Since I have not viewed the deleted content, I can only make the previous statements.

Wait...there are rules? :D

Markham

Mark, thanks for the references, but my question still stands on why the mayor didn't go down to the courthouse and "arrest" the judge. He was the one who ordered the sheriff to do what he did.

As appealing as that might sound, even you must understand that isn't even remotely possible. The Mayor was far more concerned in restoring peace, law and order that morning to be bothered with sorting-out the Judiciary's mistakes.

And BTW, the stay order (although pre-dated to June 29) was NOT issued until July 1 (after the incident had already occurred).

That is a very valid point. However, legal motions have to be scheduled for hearing and if the Sheriff was on top of his game, he would know that such a hearing was to take place. There was obviously a complete breakdown of communication between the Court and the Sheriff that day but that is a problem for the Judiciary rather than the Executive but it was the Executive, in the person of the Mayor, that had to sort the mess.

The 30-day moratorium rule is interesting, but was not invoked by the mayor (or by her father until several days after the incident).

The 30 - or perhaps 45 - day moratorium is a legal requirement, it is proscribed within Section 28 of the relevant Act. It didn't need to be invoked because it is automatic. The Sheriff, in this case a senior one (Abe Andres is a Sheriff 4), is the implementer of orders made by Judges. Once a ruling is made, it is then left for the Sheriff to implement that ruling in accordance with all applicable laws. That means he would need to have a good working knowledge of both the Act (RA 7292) and Executive Order 152 issued by Arroyo. He does not report to the Judge(s) each day and ask "what do you want me to do today?". He has tasks that have to be completed on certain dates and perform his duties without continual reference to the instructing Judge(s). He therefore knew that he had to liase and cooperate with local government and with the Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor and he knew that there should be a 30 (or 45) day delay between the Eviction and Demolition being ordered by the Judge and his implementing that order.

So I ask again, why did he seek to execute that order just nine days after it was issued?

Elected officials just can't go around hitting public employees (or anybody for that matter). It showed a terrible lack of anger management skills and a terrible lack of judgement in my opinion.

In a perfect world, you'd be absolute right. But the world we live in is far from being perfect. The Mayor was under tremendous pressure both from her job and also in her private life. It doesn't help that the Judge in this case is her uncle by marriage thus sparking a family feud. Cut her a little slack, for heaven's sake!

Mark

lifeisgood

In a perfect world, you'd be absolute right. But the world we live in is far from being perfect. The Mayor was under tremendous pressure both from her job and also in her private life. It doesn't help that the Judge in this case is her uncle by marriage thus sparking a family feud. Cut her a little slack, for heaven's sake!

Mark

She should step down from that position if she can't handle the pressure. I don't really understand how anyone can say she has the moral high ground by punching someone because they didn't do what she asked. Sure, he should have worked with her to help contain order but that doesn't mean she can just hit the guy several times. She is held to a higher standard because of the position she took. Sorry, she shouldn't be cut any slack when she physically attacked someone.

Edited by lifeisgood
Bob Ward

Far from perfect? You mean that the judiciary and the sheriffs could have had less than optimum communications regarding any stay or moratorium? Boo Hoo for the mayor, she has lived such a hard life as an anointed one! Slack, not in my book. She simply showed the very typical actions of the spoiled upper class where the kids hit their yayas if they do not do as they are ordered to do. It is one of the base problems of the Philippines and should not be swept under the carpet.

Edited by Bob Ward
thebob

Jeez guys - let it go

oneup.jpg

If you aren't interested in this discussion, fair enough. But I don't think your input has actually added anything there.

Davolives

If you aren't interested in this discussion, fair enough. But I don't think your input has actually added anything there.

bob- you might be right in your estimation that UZI has not added a lot to this thread, but then again, neither have your posts in my opinion !!

I wasn't meant to. Call it

intermission1.jpg

easy44

Mark

Ever heard the phrase, "it goes with the territory" or "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"?

Tremendous pressure is the nature of the job. If she doesn't have the disposition or maturity to deal with it in a professional manner, then you know what the solution is. Having a tantrum in public is hardly the mark of a mature administrator.

Paul

There have been a total of 4 Moderators, including Mark, and 1 Administrator work on this thread. That Administrator was me. Now, before anyone makes any further unfounded accusations here, which could very well be false, you may wish to let it go. I know whom has done what, because a thread log provides this information to any Administrator of this site. However, I am not going to waste time wading through a list of 39 actions, by 5 staff members, to see who did what. I am much more concerned about this forum remaining active (running clean, not causing errors) so you folks can continue your testosterone bitching and moaning, and having your pissing contest.

So, back to work I go.

If this thread continues down this avenue of posts, would any staff member, with the appropriate authority to do so, please close this thread?

Markham

It was reported on ANC News last night that the Sheriffs Association is to file a case against Mayor Duterte on behalf of Sheriff 4, Abe Andres.

Mark

thebob

Do you think that will be expedited or will we have to wait a couple of years for a verdict?

Would they file in Davao or are these things taken to a neutral location?