Sweet & Sour Pork

Paul

I like it! This is a dish a guy made a couple of nights ago.

Here is a photo:

sweet___sour_pork.jpg

The platter couldn't hold all that he made. The entire dish yielded 8 servings.

This is probably THE best Sweet & Sour Pork I have ever eaten.

------------ UPDATE ---------------

Due to the number of people requesting it, I asked him for the recipe. Here is what he wrote down.

Please Note: I am not a cook, nor would you want me in your kitchen. I would scorch water. So, I am only copying exactly what he wrote down. He has left so I cannot field questions regarding this recipe.

He said that he normally does not "cheat" on the sauce, but did this time, because he made it on short notice. He normally makes the sauce from scratch.

Here goes:

6 - Packets Sweet & Sour Mix

3 - Medium Carrots, thinly sliced

3 - Medium Red/Spanish Onion, cut into 2cm x 2cm pieces

3 - Medium Red Bell Pepper, cut into 2cm x 2cm pieces

6 - Pineapple Rings, cut into 8 even pieces (retain the juice)

1 - Orange, thinly sliced

1 - Full Garlic, finely chopped

1 - Kilogram Pork, diced into bite sized pieces

Prepare the carrots, onion, bell pepper, in equal portions.

Prepare the sauce. Sautee the garlic, carrot, onion and bell pepper.

Add with the sauce and bring to a boil, then simmer.

Flour the pork and deep fry in oil, in batches. Set aside.

When the sauce thickens, add pork, pineapple and orange. Add pineapple juice for taste.

Then, eat it. :thumbsup:

Yeah, for sure! Get him to spill the beans, so to speak. I love sweet and sour pork. And kung pao chicken. Sadly the kung pao chicken here is quite a bit different than the stuff I became used to in the states. Did I post my sweeties recipe for Sizzling Gambas? If Paul can wrestle the pork recipe out of Dean, I'll try to get Jen's spicy shrimp recipe and post here. We even bought an iron plate and wooden platter it fits on so we could serve the dish the way we first fell in love with it.

I'd like to see that sweet and sour recipe myself.....

Edited by Terp
tom_shor
This is the kind of food that doesn't make a man grow old.....

Yes your heart stops and you keel over while quite young. Still if it tastes as good as it looks it would be worth it. You can't live forever. ;)

Please check my initial post in this thread for the recipe.

If you have any questions regarding the recipe, please post here or PM me with them.

But, I will have to wait until I see him again (he lives in Cebu City) to ask him.

• 3 years later...
Paul

Someone wanted to see this recipe, so I opened it up and bumped it up.

• 3 months later...

I have a different version of this Sweet & Sour Pork :)

Marinate the pork cubes with sesame oil, oyster sauce, and salt & pepper to taste for about 2-3hours. Before frying, dip them into beaten eggs then cover fully with flour and drop into the pan. Set aside.

Slice some red onion, red bell pepper and ginger. In a different bowl, mix water, sugar, vinegar, pinch of salt and little tomato sauce (ketchup will do...It's just for color). Adjust taste according to your preference on the sweetness and sourness of the sauce.

Saute the onions, bell pepper and ginger then add the pre-mixed liquid and allow to simmer. To thicken the sauce, mix cornstarch & water and pour into sauce while simmering.

When reaching the desired thickness (it should be as thick as those sauce you see in Chinese dishes), you may now add the fried pork and then serve :yourock:

udonthani

there is big Chinese influence in Filipino food, but I'm not sure how much of it actually comes from China and how much of it comes from the Philippines. I've had conversations with Chinoy food vendors about this, and even they don't know.

there is big Chinese influence in Filipino food, but I'm not sure how much of it actually comes from China and how much of it comes from the Philippines. I've had conversations with Chinoy food vendors about this, and even they don't know.

I agree with you. It's definitely difficult to determine which is/are the native Filipino dishes. But I'm sure sweet and sour pork is NOT Filipino. You can see them in both Chinese and Korean cuisine. I just forgot the Korean term for this dish.