Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ward

Talisay To Tallahassee

Bob Ward

Short and sweet! Well, kind of! :any-help:

Talisay to Lapu2x - Taxi, and the driver asked for a bit over the meter because it was late at night and he would have to return empty. Good reasoning and presentation so we kicked in P50 for his fuel issues.

Note - leaving Kristine behind was very tough. She was strong and beautiful about the whole matter.

Cebu to Manila - Cebu Pacific at a one way fare of P1,865 and it left ontime and arrived early.

Overnight in Manila - Townhouse Inn which was easy to find, cheap, but a bit dodgy for the mainstream.

Manila to Tokyo - Northwest Airlines, got kicked out of First Class seat because I forgot and wore shorts. My ex works for them so I fly free, but there are rules. Ontime and they put me in an empty row so I had 4 seats across to sleep. Sweet, and better sleeping than first class, except for the absence of champagne and or OJ.

Tokyo to Detroit - NWA - Got bumped off my flight so I was up a creek till the next day. Could have been worse, there was a Filipino from Canada on the same flight and he got bumped too. BUT since he had a Filipino passport, he was not allowed to enter Japan without a visa and was flown back to Manila that same day. US citizens are granted a 90 day tourist visa with no paperwork. Was scouting my airport sleeping options when I thought to ask the NWA desk about possible deals for employees. No deals, but she showed me a brochure where there was an inexpensive hotel connected to the airport by a foot bridge. I checked it out (tokyoinns.com) and it was awesome. For $52 (on the freaking airport compound no less) it was brand new and had free breakfast.

Tokyo to Detroit II - NWA - Damn it Jim! Ten minutes before the flight was to board, I was notified that my first class seat was being downgraded due to an oversold condition. As long as I secured a seat, and an aisle seat to boot, Bob was happy!

Detroit to Memphis - NWA - Awesome to be in a modern US airport. Although Tokyo was great! Had a few tall ones (Sam Adams) at TGI Friday's, darn the food portions here are HUGE and the people are fat a bit. No problems for this leg.

Memphis to Tallahassee - NWA _ Uneventful except for the serious BBQ ribs, beans and slaw in the airport.

I will close this trip report with an observation regarding Filipinos traveling abroad. I think it most appropriate to preface this part by saying these are just observations and not meant to be derogatory in any way toward Filipinos.

You can take the Filipino out of the Philippines, BUT, you know the rest.

In Tokyo, the only people butting in line or standing right in the middle of the walkway chatting, therefore others could not get by, were the Filipinos. On the plane to Detroit (12 hours) they schedule a mid-way Lavatory/Restroom/CR cleaning repleat with gloves and mask. The lavatories on the plane were disgusting by then. Why can't Filipinos pee in the toilet and not on the floor? The flight attendant said that cleaning procedure is carried out on only a few routes world wide. But they have to get the foot prints off the toilet seats and the pee off the floor so that Japanese and American passengers will not complain. The last issue was in Detriot in Customs. The Filipino couple who sat next to me on the plane, seemed nice enough, tried to but in front of 4-5 other passengers including me. I spoke up before the customs person took care of it and said "I don't think so, you are in my country now and we have rules". Sorry I was way tired and cranky!

BTW - the only food I craved and sought was a Sonic Double Cheeseburger. Then at home I bought a 16 oz ribeye steak and 1.25 lbs of Alaskan King Crab legs. Very nice!!!

Mailman
The Filipino couple who sat next to me on the plane, seemed nice enough, tried to but in front of 4-5 other passengers including me. I spoke up before the customs person took care of it and said "I don't think so, you are in my country now and we have rules".

That's great! Wish I could have been there to provide Nelson's (The Simpsons) complimentary "Ha ha!" point-and-laugh routine. :any-help:

CaptainJackson
Short and sweet! Well, kind of! :any-help:

BTW - the only food I craved and sought was a Sonic Double Cheeseburger. Then at home I bought a 16 oz ribeye steak and 1.25 lbs of Alaskan King Crab legs. Very nice!!!

Nice post Bob,

Welcome home.........,

Emery

Paul

I hate you. :any-help:

CaptainJackson
I hate you. :any-help:

Maybe next year for your birthday we should Fed-X you some Prime Rib, and an Alaskan King Crab leg.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scapegoat
Maybe next year for your birthday we should Fed-X you some Prime Rib, and an Alaskan King Crab leg.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or at least a picture of us eating the steak and crab leg's. :any-help:

Bob Ward

The best part is that if you shop well it's not that expensive. The King Crab was on sale for $6.99 lb, this market uses it for a loss leader all the time. The ribeye was just $7.99. God I can't immagine how much an overnight of steak and crab would cost to ship oner there!

CaptainJackson
The best part is that if you shop well it's not that expensive. The King Crab was on sale for $6.99 lb, this market uses it for a loss leader all the time. The ribeye was just $7.99. God I can't immagine how much an overnight of steak and crab would cost to ship oner there!

What's a few bucks (60 or 70, plus the cost of the crab leg and steak) between friends?

:any-help:

Edited by CaptainJackson

Mike S

Hey Bob .... where are you staying in Fla .... and for how long .....

tom_shor

Glad you had a safe trip. Hope you are able to get your business concluded soon.

Bob Ward
Hey Bob .... where are you staying in Fla .... and for how long .....

I'm in Tallahassee and I will be here 2-3 months at the most. Less if I can sell this house quickly!

Paul

When you return, bring steak and crab!

tom_shor
When you return, bring steak and crab!

Is that Crab or Crabs. ouch

Bob Ward
Is that Crab or Crabs. ouch

Sorry but I could not help myself. If it was the crab, then ouch. If it was the crabs, then scratch like a hound dog at a flea circus. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!

tom_shor
Sorry but I could not help myself. If it was the crab, then ouch. If it was the crabs, then scratch like a hound dog at a flea circus. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!

Be sure to wash it before you wear it again. I'm leaving for Cebu in three weeks looks like I'll miss you this trip. Was hoping we would get a chance to talk. Good luck with getting your business concluded.