Sign in to follow this  
volstateguy

Translation Dictionary

volstateguy

Does anybody know a good place to get a good translation book? One that contains common phrases as well as single words. I've tried searching online but havent been successful. All the ones on Amazon arent currently available.

Thanx

Brett

Paul

Are you talking Cebuano/Bisaya? Or, are you talking about Tagalog?

Tatoosh

I recommend Tagalog as the language to learn unless you are planning on living in the province, then you need to speak at least a bit of that provinces common language. Others may disagree with me, but if you speak some Tagalog, you will be able to communicate most every where, while very few in Luzon speak Cebuano and few in Cebu speak Ilocano, and the since there are many dialects, you will be limiting yourself a great deal if you pick a provincial language.

Since this is the "Living in Cebu" forum, my view is likely to be in the minority. If you do decide to try Tagalog out and want a phrase book that is fun and handy for social occasions, try "Making Out In Tagalog". It would not be my primary guide, and it is not a dictionary, but I found myself picking it up much more often than any other phrase book I own and even my Filipina partner enjoyed reading it, telling me to use it in preference to the others I had.

pi_nite_owl
I recommend Tagalog as the language to learn unless you are planning on living in the province, then you need to speak at least a bit of that provinces common language. Others may disagree with me, but if you speak some Tagalog, you will be able to communicate most every where, while very few in Luzon speak Cebuano and few in Cebu speak Ilocano, and the since there are many dialects, you will be limiting yourself a great deal if you pick a provincial language.

I would add my opinion that learning some basic Tagalog is helpful to everyone, since many of us will travel around the Philippines for leisure. However, I would devote the most to learning the local language (e.g. Cebuano) if you are a long-term resident rather than a tourist here for a brief vacation. Speaking with locals in their familiar language will help to reinforce your learning rather than confuse and double the complexity of your language education.

This debate will always persist, so I say just learn the language where you live or spend most of your time. I've traveled places in Philippines where Tagalog was not well understood but always found someone with sufficient English skills to act as a translator.

A few things to consider:

1) Tagalog is more dominate in Luzon than Visayas and Mindanao

2) huge numbers of people from distant islands relocate to Manila to find jobs and thus need to learn some basic Tagalog

3) far fewer people relocate from Luzon to other islands like Cebu, Bacolod, Iloilo or Mindanao for economic reasons, so they don't bring the necessity of Tagalog in force back to Visayas and Mindanao.

4) most likely, your brain has already sufficiently aged like mine that even adding one additional language is a challenge. why spend time to master multiple local languages that may better be spent drinking or relaxing.

volstateguy

I was looking for cebuana/bisaya. Sorry I guess I should have specified. I plan to visit Cebu so I think that would be the most benificial.

Schnapp

You might not be able to pick up a really good one till you're actually in Cebu.