Still Have To Hand $5 To Manila Customs Guys?

I cannot believe some of these posts!

I have been going to and from the Philippines since Cory Aquino came to power (quite a few years in othe words). Sometimes 3 times a year. Have NEVER had to pay a bribe or been asked to do so.

Once customs did stop me and asked me what Duty Free items I had. I showed them that I was not over the limit and proceeded from the airport.

Now I arrive with my wife (a Filipina). I get the Balikbayan stamp without a problem, and we have not been asked to show marriage certificate, though the wife has a copy just in case.

I was told by Philippine Embassy staff in London that as long as I arrive with the mrs I will get a Blaikbayan stamp.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanoy

• Oregonguy

• Lee

• samatm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only experience was in May 08. I landed in Manila before getting my connecting flight to CDO. Was told that I had to claim my bags for Customs before continuing on. After maybe 30 minutes of watching all of the same bags go round and round on the carousel and not seeing my own, I heard someone say that there was a lot of bags piled up across the way. I went there and there was my bag in a roped off corral. When I inquired, I was told that they were pulled because they were checked to another destination. I was then told to go and clear with customs without my bags, then to come back and let them know when I had completed this. Customs took a quick look at my documents, stamped my passport and sent me on my way, never looking at my bags or expecting any money. I returned to the corral and informed them that I had been cleared. I was told to continue for my connecting flight and assured that my bags would be at my final destination. The only problem I had was when I landed in CDO...my bags were not there and had to return to the airport a few hours later to pick them up. I don't think that greasing the guys palm would have prevented the slight delay of receiving my bags on time.

This is a typical discussion were one member with the name of kanoy gets all excited and a few months later he won't even visit the forum anymore. It happens all the time and sometimes I wonder why the people stop posting. I sure wasn't involved in this one.

:huh:

This is a typical discussion were one member with the name of kanoy gets all excited and a few months later he won't even visit the forum anymore. It happens all the time and sometimes I wonder why the people stop posting. I sure wasn't involved in this one.

:huh:

Yes, it does seem that some have wandered off topic a bit here.

I remember reading something in Filipinas Magazine (US pub.) where an American business man of a big US company was passing through customs in Manila on his way out and decided to slip a hundred pesos or so to the customs officer. The officer asked what was it for. The fool made a big stink about how it was a lot of money to a filipino and that he should be thankful and accept it-- so they arrested him for bribery! I don't know what the out come of it was but the article did point out that the maximum penalty was something like 20+ years!!!

Then there was an incident where a friend of mine who traveled to Boracay where we met up with him and his family (prominent and well known family in the Phils.) Well, being the pot smoker he is -he had a joint in his cigarette box. The guard at the airport saw it in his shirt pocket asked if he could take a look-- busted. His brother stepped in and slipped a $100 US. - on his way he was...

• 2 months later...

We landed at NAIA several years ago with 4 bb boxes and 4 big suitcases. It was in December and the customs officer lady asked for some "merry christmas"...my wife tipped her p500 and we were happy our boxes of electornics and computers werent opened.. but I had nnever heard of the 5.00 custom until I read this thread. before the christmas tip...we or I had nver tipped or been harrased at NAIA.

I was questioned at Mactan recently when I asked for a bb stamp...the guy said something under his breath about some payment but said about cameras were watching..I didnt really understand his words...and just told him it ws ok just to hit me with the 21day. Incidentallly he was the same guy at immigration I had when leaving a week earlier and he commented on my bb stamp and how lucky I was to find a Filipina and how much luckier I would be to find mistress to boot... the guy wouldnt stop yappin and I had to kind just walk away to the security belt and he was still being friendly..lol much to the chagrin of the filipinas (matrons) waiting to pass his station !

• 3 weeks later...
We landed at NAIA several years ago with 4 bb boxes and 4 big suitcases. It was in December and the customs officer lady asked for some "merry christmas"...my wife tipped her p500 and we were happy our boxes of electornics and computers werent opened.. but I had nnever heard of the 5.00 custom until I read this thread. before the christmas tip...we or I had nver tipped or been harrased at NAIA.

I was questioned at Mactan recently when I asked for a bb stamp...the guy said something under his breath about some payment but said about cameras were watching..I didnt really understand his words...and just told him it ws ok just to hit me with the 21day. Incidentallly he was the same guy at immigration I had when leaving a week earlier and he commented on my bb stamp and how lucky I was to find a Filipina and how much luckier I would be to find mistress to boot... the guy wouldnt stop yappin and I had to kind just walk away to the security belt and he was still being friendly..lol much to the chagrin of the filipinas (matrons) waiting to pass his station !

Yo' Sam!

I am coming to Cebu Mar 3rd through NAIA, and I'm concerned about procedires and how to handle myself! Please give advice, and info!

Is it correct that my checked baggage will be transfered right to the plane to Cebu, and go through customs in Cebu? Having to go through customs and immigration in Manila will be a drag! I can still cancel the flight until tomorrow at 10pm! Courtesy Cancel through Orbitz! I only lose $10 bucks! I can still go through Hong kong. I have some heavy carry ons, guitars, and my luggage includes a large metal travel case for a guitar I designed and have a patent on! Thx, Bro!

JC

98% of the time Manila is a piece of cake. But you did not mention what airline you were flying in on and out again. Chances are you will have to go through customs in Manila. No sweat. But if you flight to Cebu is on Cebu Pacific, you will probably have to pay some over the weight limit fees, but they are not too steep, or they weren't last year.

The reason Sam was hassled was it was xmas [pinaskohan] and he has a shit load of stuff.

Edited by Bob Ward

Hey Jc..

Sorry I havn't transfrered through Manila in several years and with the new domestic terminal a lot of the hassles have been alieviated. If entering the PI at NAIA.. you must claim and check your bags through customs....but then I believe (correct me if Im wrong forum) they take your bags / boxes and route them through to CEBU for you.

I prefer coming in through HK now on Cathay via LA or SFO directly to CEBU but to each his own.. basically if you can get a cheap tix take that route and don't worry how you enter the PI. Please Check with Paula at APEX travel in HOuston (713) 784-5300 before you buy your orbitz tix and compare prices.

Good luck...the cool thing about Cathay's new 747 service is that they have in service electrc plugins at each seat and you easily plug in your traveling amp, unleash your Strat that you're bringing Skips kid and JAM at 39,000 feet.

Hey Jc..

Sorry I havn't transfrered through Manila in several years and with the new domestic terminal a lot of the hassles have been alieviated. If entering the PI at NAIA.. you must claim and check your bags through customs....but then I believe (correct me if Im wrong forum) they take your bags / boxes and route them through to CEBU for you.

I prefer coming in through HK now on Cathay via LA or SFO directly to CEBU but to each his own.. basically if you can get a cheap tix take that route and don't worry how you enter the PI. Please Check with Paula at APEX travel in HOuston (713) 784-5300 before you buy your orbitz tix and compare prices.

Good luck...the cool thing about Cathay's new 747 service is that they have in service electrc plugins at each seat and you easily plug in your traveling amp, unleash your Strat that you're bringing Skips kid and JAM at 39,000 feet.

And what bob said about getting the Christmas shakedown is correct... I had previously never been bothered at NAIA before.

You'll be fine, but if you are unsure of what not to take aboard the plane...refer to this handy poster which was prominently displayed for all passengers before entering the gate waiting area at Changi Airport for a flight to CEBU. I found it quite helpful!

post-3344-1234879767_thumb.jpg

It really depends on how many people are arriving and if you are the first or the last one. I always had trouble being the last one. Sometimes they even put a mark on your luggage. I recommend having your luggage checked in only to Manila, just ask your agent when you check in in the US not to check it all the way to Cebu. Just pretend that you journey ends in Manila.

That way you are among many passengers and the risk of being picked out is much lower.