Still Have To Hand $5 To Manila Customs Guys?

Bob Ward
The problem is that you do it and they then expect everyone to do the same thing.

No matter how you dress it up, corruption is corruption, and is one of the major ills of the Philippines.

I do not, nor ever will view it as corruption at all, coming from the USA where there is real greed and corruption, I find that by giving a working man trying his best to support a family on $5 a day wage hardly qualifies as corruption, when placed against a man making $25 an hour who we gladly give the same "tip" to in the states to get us through different ventures such as cars, real estate, banking, heck we even give waiters and waitresses more than that to bring us the food we order and pay for, imagine that, paying someone 15% just to bring us something that we bought, who is to say that they don't go out and buy drugs with it, does that mean that we contributed to their corruption? sure it does, yet we do it without fail or thinking, yet we question giving a working man who may help us clear some paper work $5

The Filipinos would not need the $5 which equals a days wage here, 250 peso, if they where paid even a half decent wage, anybody here, including myself, is more than welcome to take their wives and children and try and live on $5 a day and see just how far they get, I know exactly how far I would get with my wife and children as well as my own arse on the line, I would get as far as the employer who would hire me to become a customs agent so I can pray that I might find a foreigner who would be willing to give me a measly $5 without blinking an eye and I would thank him as well as the good lord above that my family can eat tonight.

If that is corruption than I am all for corruption, give the people a break, we4 give more than that $5 to our kids to play stupid video games while we shop at Bloomingdale's.

First, 2 points of clarification for the record. The peso rate is at 41+ so that $5 is about P205, even worse, and the standard of tipping in the US has raised to 20%. Both of these facts strengthen your financial argument.

But on the corruption issue, I disagree vehemently. The example in the title of this thread is a bad one in my opinion. I have never had anything but courtesy from the customs people and I have never had a bag checked. But I go through the Bob lane!! LOLOL (from the commercial in the US if you didn't know). But I'm sure there are customs officials with their hand out, I just never met them.

If a customs officer is giving you the run around or hassling you about your friggin laptop just to extort $5 from you, I say hell no.

Those people with government jobs are already doing better than allot of people. Just because they are in a position of authority does not give them the right to commit highway robbery in my book. The police, the immigration officials and just about anyone else in a government job with any power has their hand out to make more.

I am not against helping the needy, but I will not contribute voluntarily to anyone who is trying to extort money from me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanoy

• Oregonguy

• samatm

• Bob Ward

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee

Let us go to the other side of the coin and put it a different way, you can be arrested for bribing a government official and if you should hit one who is honest and believe it or not, there are some who are, or if a plain clothes higher up is standing by watching, you could end up with them tearing open your suitcases and taxing you on everything you brought with you or even worse end up in a jail cell or deported.

Again, I personally would never bribe a government official and if you are married to a Filipina or traveling with a Filipino and you want to let her or him do it, that would be up to you, but the real down side to bribing anyone is that you could be deported and banned for life from entering the Philippines ever again.

A crime is still a crime anyway you look at it, now if they actually ask you for a tip, then you would sort of have no choice, but then you could not get arrested for giving what was asked of you either.

I am all for helping out under paid people but I am not going to take a chance of being deported for life or contributing to criminal activity.

To each his own, but this country will never advance as long as people feel that it is ok to break the law just for their sake.

Now with that said, I am not saying that I would not try to pay my way out of a jam in order to prevent ending up in jail but that would be after the fact or crime was already commited and I would already be in deep do do anyway.

The problem is that you do it and they then expect everyone to do the same thing.

No matter how you dress it up, corruption is corruption, and is one of the major ills of the Philippines.

I do not, nor ever will view it as corruption at all, coming from the USA where there is real greed and corruption, I find that by giving a working man trying his best to support a family on $5 a day wage hardly qualifies as corruption, when placed against a man making $25 an hour who we gladly give the same "tip" to in the states to get us through different ventures such as cars, real estate, banking, heck we even give waiters and waitresses more than that to bring us the food we order and pay for, imagine that, paying someone 15% just to bring us something that we bought, who is to say that they don't go out and buy drugs with it, does that mean that we contributed to their corruption? sure it does, yet we do it without fail or thinking, yet we question giving a working man who may help us clear some paper work $5

The Filipinos would not need the $5 which equals a days wage here, 250 peso, if they where paid even a half decent wage, anybody here, including myself, is more than welcome to take their wives and children and try and live on $5 a day and see just how far they get, I know exactly how far I would get with my wife and children as well as my own arse on the line, I would get as far as the employer who would hire me to become a customs agent so I can pray that I might find a foreigner who would be willing to give me a measly $5 without blinking an eye and I would thank him as well as the good lord above that my family can eat tonight.

If that is corruption than I am all for corruption, give the people a break, we4 give more than that $5 to our kids to play stupid video games while we shop at Bloomingdale's.

First, 2 points of clarification for the record. The peso rate is at 41+ so that $5 is about P205, even worse, and the standard of tipping in the US has raised to 20%. Both of these facts strengthen your financial argument.

But on the corruption issue, I disagree vehemently. The example in the title of this thread is a bad one in my opinion. I have never had anything but courtesy from the customs people and I have never had a bag checked. But I go through the Bob lane!! LOLOL (from the commercial in the US if you didn't know). But I'm sure there are customs officials with their hand out, I just never met them.

If a customs officer is giving you the run around or hassling you about your friggin laptop just to extort $5 from you, I say hell no.

Those people with government jobs are already doing better than allot of people. Just because they are in a position of authority does not give them the right to commit highway robbery in my book. The police, the immigration officials and just about anyone else in a government job with any power has their hand out to make more.

I am not against helping the needy, but I will not contribute voluntarily to anyone who is trying to extort money from me.

I see where I erred here with my reply, this topic I now see is talking about customs people, specifically, I failed to see that, I was speaking mainly about immigration, customs, I have never had a bit of a problem with, I have never been checked, held in a line waiting on anything at all, nor has my luggage ever been gone through (with the exception of my initial arrival the baggage handlers had a hay day because I did not have a lock on it and arrived after midnight)

So my bad and I am sorry about that, but I do admit that I have a connect that I use at the immigration office, but that's only once a year since I have a balikbayan visa. so I don't report every 59 days as a tourist would, but all my guy does is take my papers to those who need to sign them and give them back to me, takes him 15 minutes, without him it takes me anywhere between 6-8 hours, nothing illegal about it, unless you call my papers not sitting on someones desk for an hour of so waiting on a signature corrupt :rolleyes:

Let us go to the other side of the coin and put it a different way, you can be arrested for bribing a government official and if you should hit one who is honest and believe it or not, there are some who are, or if a plain clothes higher up is standing by watching, you could end up with them tearing open your suitcases and taxing you on everything you brought with you or even worse end up in a jail cell or deported.

Again, I personally would never bribe a government official and if you are married to a Filipina or traveling with a Filipino and you want to let her or him do it, that would be up to you, but the real down side to bribing anyone is that you could be deported and banned for life from entering the Philippines ever again.

A crime is still a crime anyway you look at it, now if they actually ask you for a tip, then you would sort of have no choice, but then you could not get arrested for giving what was asked of you either.

I am all for helping out under paid people but I am not going to take a chance of being deported for life or contributing to criminal activity.

To each his own, but this country will never advance as long as people feel that it is ok to break the law just for their sake.

Now with that said, I am not saying that I would not try to pay my way out of a jam in order to prevent ending up in jail but that would be after the fact or crime was already commited and I would already be in deep do do anyway.

ROTFLMAO, the USA is about the most corrupt nation on Earth and that did not stop its advancement one little bit

Bob Ward

I see where I erred here with my reply, this topic I now see is talking about customs people, specifically, I failed to see that, I was speaking mainly about immigration, customs, I have never had a bit of a problem with, I have never been checked, held in a line waiting on anything at all, nor has my luggage ever been gone through (with the exception of my initial arrival the baggage handlers had a hay day because I did not have a lock on it and arrived after midnight)

So my bad and I am sorry about that, but I do admit that I have a connect that I use at the immigration office, but that's only once a year since I have a balikbayan visa. so I don't report every 59 days as a tourist would, but all my guy does is take my papers to those who need to sign them and give them back to me, takes him 15 minutes, without him it takes me anywhere between 6-8 hours, nothing illegal about it, unless you call my papers not sitting on someones desk for an hour of so waiting on a signature corrupt :rolleyes:

Agreed!

Alan S

Kanoy,

The government official does at least have a job and a relatively well paid one at that.

Save your $5 for one of the 20 million who dont have any job at all.

Or even better, use it to better the lives of the really poor, and as, according to a UN report, 2 children per hour (yes, you did read that right) die of starvation or malnutrition in the Philippines, there are plenty who $5 could benefit.

Corruption is one of the main ills of the Philippines and is the main reason for the lack of investment, and consequent lack of jobs.

It is endemic in the society, from the highest down.

However, it is a two way process. Someone has to give, to enable someone to hold their hand out. By refusing to add to the problem, you can help reduce it.

I must say that in around 50 trips to the Philippines, I have never been asked for a bribe or any payment whatsoever.

I dont offer them either!

As for the argument that "it is such a small amount compared to what one is use to.."

That is specious, and can even be patronising.

Just think how you would feel if Bill Gates wandered into your local bar in your home town and starting throwing around wads of $100, just because he could.

I can imagine lots of reactions, none of them favourable, and even though I am sure that everyone would accept his money, I will bet that the comments afterwards would be negative.

Lee
ROTFLMAO, the USA is about the most corrupt nation on Earth and that did not stop its advancement one little bit

Not quite sure why that would make you roll on the floor and laugh your butt off but I just hope you do not have to do it in a Philippine jail one day :rolleyes: because you think bribing is OK.

I also agree that the USA is a very corrupt nation but the Philippines is a poor corrupt nation and that does seem to make a big difference when so many are starving to death, yet the people in power feel the need to steal the money for the food that could stop that starvation.

I think one of the problems with this nation is that it is too divided and because many people from the North never go down to the South, they really have no idea what the people of the South are like or how much they are suffering. I know that many people in the North are also suffering but the closer people are to the epicenter the less reason they have to be poor because the opportunities are there for them to take should they choose to or venture to.

I wish I had a peso for every time someone from the North told me I was crazy to go to Mindanao because it is all Muslim, first of all we all know that it is not, and second of all most Muslims are good people, so why do those people fear Mindanao and Muslims so much!

Anyway, mine is not to reason why.

Kanoy,

The government official does at least have a job and a relatively well paid one at that.

Or even better, use it to better the lives of the really poor, and as, according to a UN report, 2 children per hour (yes, you did read that right) die of starvation or malnutrition in the Philippines, there are plenty who $5 could benefit.

Corruption is one of the main ills of the Philippines and is the main reason for the lack of investment, and consequent lack of jobs.

However, it is a two way process. Someone has to give, to enable someone to hold their hand out. By refusing to add to the problem, you can help reduce it.

I must say that in around 50 trips to the Philippines, I have never been asked for a bribe or any payment whatsoever.

As for the argument that "it is such a small amount compared to what one is use to.."

Just think how you would feel if Bill Gates wandered into your local bar in your home town and starting throwing around wads of $100, just because he could.

I can imagine lots of reactions, none of them favourable, and even though I am sure that everyone would accept his money, I will bet that the comments afterwards would be negative.

I Don't pay anybody no $5, I pay my guy $20, I will continue to tip him $20 for all the great help that he does for me personally, I don't have any problems with any paperwork ever and never have to even concern myself with it, I let that up to people who wish to go through the whole routine, fine with me, whatever trips their trigger, it just don't suit my style.

I have never tipped anybody at the airport, I had more trouble at the airport in HK than I ever had here, they refused me to get on the plane with my first round trip ticket, because I did not have a ticket back out of the Philippines and no I-card which said to them that I was not a resident, even though I was, finally just bought another ticket back to HK and turned it in at NAIA, learned that lesson anyway.

Bill Gates don't have a thing on me, I will give what I feel like giving when I feel like giving it, money can be made easily, you can't take it with you, also it is mine to do as I wish when I wish, I don't care if not a soul in the world does as I do or don't do as I do, that's them and I am me, I believe that what my dad taught me will hold true till I die, that is that one hand washes the other.

As far as the other 20 million who don't have a job, heck if I wanted to support the welfare roles I would have just stayed in the biggest welfare nation on Earth, the USA, I don't wish to support some lazy bums, I want to help those at least trying, making an effort, any effort of helping themselves, there are plenty of jobs here and many people just wont go and get them, for various reasons, I know a gal here who passed up 4 good jobs, well steady paying jobs at least, because she knew that she could live off her family, plus so many of them are so awful poor because they got like 8 kids and they where already poor when they did not even have one, that's a no brainer thanks to the Catholic church.

Now there is this, the Philippines is hardly unique, sure there is a tin of corruption here also true there is a ton of corruption anywhere in the world where you have a government running a country, that about covers it, thing about the USA and here is, in the USA they passed laws making bribery and graft legal, they gave it the green light and a fancy name. Lobbyists.

Finally lets deal with your UN statistic and see where we go with it, right now there are over 90,000,000 people in the Philippines, so we take a look at your stat here with a quote "according to a UN report, 2 children per hour (yes, you did read that right) die of starvation or malnutrition in the Philippines" wow imagine that, some poor people who could not afford to feed one child went and had 10 and one died from starvation, I wonder why?

Now we go to another stat and consider the fact that nobody dies ever and wonder where we end up quote "The population in the Philippines will be increasing at the rate of 200 babies for every hour this year, making the archipelago the most populated in Southeast Asia, local media said on Tuesday(1-15-2008)" so those 2 babies that died where replaced in the very same hour, (yes you read that right) by 200 more, so like I said, one hand washes the other, people are born to die, that's the only guarantee that life gives you, the rest is but pure speculation :rolleyes:

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6338678.html

Edited by kanoy

Not quite sure why that would make you roll on the floor and laugh your butt off but I just hope you do not have to do it in a Philippine jail one day :rolleyes: because you think bribing is OK.

I also agree that the USA is a very corrupt nation but the Philippines is a poor corrupt nation and that does seem to make a big difference when so many are starving to death, yet the people in power feel the need to steal the money for the food that could stop that starvation.

I think one of the problems with this nation is that it is too divided and because many people from the North never go down to the South, they really have no idea what the people of the South are like or how much they are suffering. I know that many people in the North are also suffering but the closer people are to the epicenter the less reason they have to be poor because the opportunities are there for them to take should they choose to or venture to.

I wish I had a peso for every time someone from the North told me I was crazy to go to Mindanao because it is all Muslim, first of all we all know that it is not, and second of all most Muslims are good people, so why do those people fear Mindanao and Muslims so much!

Anyway, mine is not to reason why.

Please provide me with a link, since this is the second post that I read this statement on, that says people are dying from starvation in the Philippines, show a stat of the number of people who starve to death here yearly, like this

"In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where two-thirds of the country

Kanoy,

I Don't pay anybody no $5, I pay my guy $20, I will continue to tip him $20 for all the great help that he does for me personally, I don't have any problems with any paperwork ever and never have to even concern myself with it, I let that up to people who wish to go through the whole routine, fine with me, whatever trips their trigger, it just don't suit my style.

I have never tipped anybody at the airport, I had more trouble at the airport in HK than I ever had here, they refused me to get on the plane with my first round trip ticket, because I did not have a ticket back out of the Philippines and no I-card which said to them that I was not a resident, even though I was, finally just bought another ticket back to HK and turned it in at NAIA, learned that lesson anyway.

Bill Gates don't have a thing on me, I will give what I feel like giving when I feel like giving it, money can be made easily, you can't take it with you, also it is mine to do as I wish when I wish, I don't care if not a soul in the world does as I do or don't do as I do, that's them and I am me, I believe that what my dad taught me will hold true till I die, that is that one hand washes the other.

As far as the other 20 million who don't have a job, heck if I wanted to support the welfare roles I would have just stayed in the biggest welfare nation on Earth, the USA, I don't wish to support some lazy bums, I want to help those at least trying, making an effort, any effort of helping themselves, there are plenty of jobs here and many people just wont go and get them, for various reasons, I know a gal here who passed up 4 good jobs, well steady paying jobs at least, because she knew that she could live off her family, plus so many of them are so awful poor because they got like 8 kids and they where already poor when they did not even have one, that's a no brainer thanks to the Catholic church.

Now there is this, the Philippines is hardly unique, sure there is a tin of corruption here also true there is a ton of corruption anywhere in the world where you have a government running a country, that about covers it, thing about the USA and here is, in the USA they passed laws making bribery and graft legal, they gave it the green light and a fancy name. Lobbyists.

Finally lets deal with your UN statistic and see where we go with it, right now there are over 90,000,000 people in the Philippines, so we take a look at your stat here with a quote "according to a UN report, 2 children per hour (yes, you did read that right) die of starvation or malnutrition in the Philippines" wow imagine that, some poor people who could not afford to feed one child went and had 10 and one died from starvation, I wonder why?

Now we go to another stat and consider the fact that nobody dies ever and wonder where we end up quote "The population in the Philippines will be increasing at the rate of 200 babies for every hour this year, making the archipelago the most populated in Southeast Asia, local media said on Tuesday(1-15-2008)" so those 2 babies that died where replaced in the very same hour, (yes you read that right) by 200 more, so like I said, one hand washes the other, people are born to die, that's the only guarantee that life gives you, the rest is but pure speculation :rolleyes:

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6338678.html

where was you down south? man my wife's family live there in Laguindigan Misamis oriental and our boys live down there with their lola in Kinuguitan we just came back from there not 2 weeks ago and you say we don't know how things are? why would that be? there are just as many people down there having a blast and doing just fine as there are upo here, do you know that the food basket is located down there not up here in Luzon, so why would the most productive of all areas in the Philippines be starving? they have the primo growing climate, they have 7 rivers in just one valley area to grown enough food to feed the entire country yet you say they are struggling where? in Sulu yea, Jolo yea sure there are areas controlled by Abu and the MNLF, and J.I, plus breakaway groups, but to say they are starving and destitute I am totally mystified as where you went.

here is the family homestead, you can see how dilapidated it is and you can tell from the second table, that they are starving to death.

home

http://photo.ringo.com/260/260548868RL144996987.jpg

mama (lola)

http://photo.ringo.com/260/260548298RL781193625.jpg

starvation

http://photo.ringo.com/260/260548175RL123391069.jpg

Cebuned

Maybe a problem for you, but not for me. And I as stated, that is if you can read, it's a tip, not a bribe. I have nothing to hide to try to bribe about.

I tip alot of hard workers and public servents. I sometimes by the cops at the coffee shop a round of coffee's on me, is that a bribe or a sign of thankfullness...? Not everyone has to or is expected to either.

And what gives you the right to think "They" expect it from everyone else also? Personaly, I don't think they do....

Maybe the real bottom line is some of us have the ability to be grateful and some don't. Thats how I see it.

Maybe a problem for you, but not for me. And I as stated, that is if you can read, it's a tip, not a bribe. I have nothing to hide to try to bribe about.

I tip alot of hard workers and public servents. I sometimes by the cops at the coffee shop a round of coffee's on me, is that a bribe or a sign of thankfullness...? Not everyone has to or is expected to either.

And what gives you the right to think "They" expect it from everyone else also? Personaly, I don't think they do....

Maybe the real bottom line is some of us have the ability to be grateful and some don't. Thats how I see it.

My sentiments exactly, it's simply a matter of semantics, I feel like I don't have to "bribe" someone to do the job that they where hired to do, but I also am more than willing to show my appreciation for a job well done.

Not one of the people that I have "tipped" asked me to tip them, I did do on my own volition, tjus by choice not prodding, but bah humbug Scrooge I am not and far be it to project myself as being saintly.

Lee

Hi Kanoy, I can not speak of news reports, I can only speak of personal experiences when visiting some of my wife's family who are farmers and live up in the mountains of Bukidnon and observe the other people who live up there and around different parts of Bukidnon as well.

It breaks my heart when we go there and sometimes see how skinny the children and some of the adults are during different visits. We of course buy them sacks of rice and chickens etc. a few times a year and we used to give money all the time but found that it was usually just wasted because from what I see, they do not know how to save and just live from day to day, so all we can do it to send money to a trusted relative whenever she is going and have her buy them food whenever the harvests are bad due to not enough rain or too much rain and visit them as often as we can and buy food when we are there as well.

Also another problem is that they do not have enough land to alternate when planting, so the land is played out and no longer fertile and requires more and more fertilizer all the time and they have to pay off the fertilizer after the harvest and often there is not much left for them once that is done or they have at times lost money when the harvest was wiped out due to too much rain or not enough rain.

A farmers life is a hard one whether here or even in the USA and at least here they can usually go pick fruits from plantations or off their own trees and have something to hopefully sustain life.

And yes, relatives have died in relation to lack of food or by trying different ways to earn money to feed their families when the harvest was bad. My wife even lost one brother as well as his oldest son because they had to seek money to feed the family and were both killed in a traffic accident while riding in the back of a truck.

So yes, there are starving and malnourished people in Mindanao and I have seen it first hand and I would much rather see some of that bribe money used to feed people who need it a lot more than people who have steady jobs.

Edited by Mr. Lee
Tatoosh

Going through the domestic airport at Manila I got glad handed by one of the security guys who, as a friendly courtesy, decided to walk me through the screening process. Now he did nothing that was not part of the routine, but he simply made sure it went really quickly and with zero hitch. I gave him a hundred pesos. Now, I didn't really want the service. I would have been happy to do it the normal way. He grabbed me. And since I didn't want the hassle of saying no, along with any possible repercussion, went along with it. And slipped him the hundred. It all took less than a couple of minutes.

Now, yes Mr Lee, I would have liked to have spent that hundred on a better or at least more deserving individual. But my primary objective was to get on my plane. Not correct the evils of the world. And in doing so, I may have compounded them, but so it goes. He has his beer money, I was on my plane, which I would have made regardless, unless I possibly pissed him off and he had a cohort give me the long, very detailed, security inspection. No one suggested that would happen, but I didn't want to see what a firm no would bring. Probably just an shake of the head and he would have walked off. But I wasn't going to investigate the outcome.

As for getting killed in a car accident, that is not very surprising. This place resembles the USA in the forties or fifties to me. Pile everyone in the back end of a pickup or flatbed truck and head out. The only thing that keeps the death toll down is the lack of good roads with multiple lanes so they can get some real speed up.

Hi Kanoy, I can not speak of news reports, I can only speak of personal experiences when visiting some of my wife's family who are farmers and live up in the mountains of Bukidnon and observe the other people who live up there and around different parts of Bukidnon as well.

It breaks my heart when we go there and sometimes see how skinny the children and some of the adults are during different visits. We of course buy them sacks of rice and chickens etc. a few times a year and we used to give money all the time but found that it was usually just wasted because from what I see, they do not know how to save and just live from day to day, so all we can do it to send money to a trusted relative whenever she is going and have her buy them food whenever the harvests are bad due to not enough rain or too much rain and visit them as often as we can and buy food when we are there as well.

Also another problem is that they do not have enough land to alternate when planting, so the land is played out and no longer fertile and requires more and more fertilizer all the time and they have to pay off the fertilizer after the harvest and often there is not much left for them once that is done or they have at times lost money when the harvest was wiped out due to too much rain or not enough rain.

A farmers life is a hard one whether here or even in the USA and at least here they can usually go pick fruits from plantations or off their own trees and have something to hopefully sustain life.

And yes, relatives have died in relation to lack of food or by trying different ways to earn money to feed their families when the harvest was bad. My wife even lost one brother as well as his oldest son because they had to seek money to feed the family and were both killed in a traffic accident while riding in the back of a truck.

So yes, there are starving and malnourished people in Mindanao and I have seen it first hand and I would much rather see some of that bribe money used to feed people who need it a lot more than people who have steady jobs.

wow Mr.Lee that is exactly where I am talking about Bukidnon the food basket of the Philippines, the greatest rice and food producing area of all the islands, 7 rivers, perfect drainage, perfect climate, so you have seen as good as the Philippines gets when it comes to food production, thats neat and shows just how small the world really is.

So why there is any starvation going on in that whole vicinity is beyond my comprehension, I would expect to see it in manila or the Metro Manila area due to the population, Vuviri, who is the son of a Senator here is one of the permanent owners of the land down there, so maybe it's the hoarding and etc etc from the owners that is causing that, its about the only thing that crosses my mind, big big area and very few select owners.

those owners got all the fertilizer they want, their families are in about every area of the government so they never get shied you are speaking of the small farmers who have very little land and that land is not the choice land that the select few own.

As far as those who are in need the first need they should be inquiring in are condoms, it makes no sense at all for a person with no job and scrimping for scraps to feed himself and his wife should have 6-8-10 kids, but thats the way it goes, have as many as you can and hope one ends up as an OFW to support the rest of the family, that's their choice and they know that before they had the first one.

I know some people who had one after they both got jobs before that they would not even consider having kids its called responsibility and so I figure if they wish the welfare that you speak of they should all go to the USA, there is no welfare here, you made your bed you lie in it, it's not in the bible but it should be, god helps those who help themselves.