Still Have To Hand $5 To Manila Customs Guys?

Been 8 years since I flew through Manila. They used to go though everything and confiscate stuff if you didn't fork over $5, is this still the drill? I was thinking I'd keep $5 in my shirt pocket and watch if they seem to expect it, but maybe someone has more recent experience? Also, any problems with the Balikbayan stamp for 1 year? I've heard they try to charge for this in Manila and if you don't pay they stamp for 21 days, which would be really an expensive screw up...any word on that? If you pay, how much?

We're flying on to Bohol, but they have no customs in Tag so Manila is it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanoy

• Oregonguy

• samatm

• Bob Ward

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alan S

I've never had that sort of problem. In fact, over the 18 years I've been going to the Philippines, I have had any checks at customs only about half a dozen times.

Dunno about the Balikbayan stamp.

The first time I went over about 10 years ago I befriended an older filipina lady who stuck with me through customs, told the customs guy we were together and handed him $5 for the both of us. He smiled and let us through. So the next time I handed it over, same thing. The time after I was yacking with my wife and forgot the $5 in my pocket. I got a funny look from the customs guy and then he and his fellow started opening our bags. I realized what was up, handed over the $5, they zipped the bags shut and that was that.

I have flown into the Philippines at least a dozen times over the past 7 years, and have never given anything to the customs people, and they have never searched my bags.

For the Balibayan stamp, the rule is that if your Filipina wife is travelling with you, then you should be given the one year Balikbayan stamp, without having to bribe or tip or anything, you just need your Filipina wife standing with you when they stamp your passport.

Aussie Dude

Make sure that you have your wife and the marriage certificate and forget the 5 dollars

Cebu Dreaming
I have flown into the Philippines at least a dozen times over the past 7 years, and have never given anything to the customs people, and they have never searched my bags.

For the Balibayan stamp, the rule is that if your Filipina wife is travelling with you, then you should be given the one year Balikbayan stamp, without having to bribe or tip or anything, you just need your Filipina wife standing with you when they stamp your passport.

Technically your wife needs to be a former citizen of the Philippines for you to be to be eligible for the Balikbayan Stamp.....however on my last visit to Cebu a couple of months back I was staying outside the 21 days & technically my wife is still a citizen of the Phils as she has not yet qualified here in Australia for citizenship.We went up together to the immigration guy my wife smiled a lot spoke to him in Visayan showed him a copy of our marriage certificate,he gave me a look up & down & stamped my passport no worries.

Yes, we always have the marriage cert. and get the stamp, and I'm not allowed out without the wife sooo...:as-if:

My first trip to Cebu in 2001 was via Hong Kong. I handed the customs guy in Cebu $5 and he said "What's this for?". He did put the money into his pocket though. That's the last time I ever offered a customs guy any money in Cebu or Manila.

Tor in Cebu

Jim Sibbick
Been 8 years since I flew through Manila. They used to go though everything and confiscate stuff if you didn't fork over $5, is this still the drill? I was thinking I'd keep $5 in my shirt pocket and watch if they seem to expect it, but maybe someone has more recent experience? Also, any problems with the Balikbayan stamp for 1 year? I've heard they try to charge for this in Manila and if you don't pay they stamp for 21 days, which would be really an expensive screw up...any word on that? If you pay, how much?

We're flying on to Bohol, but they have no customs in Tag so Manila is it.

Hello Oregonguy

I have had muliple entries to the Philippines since 1994, landing in Manila and Cebu. In 1994, there were signs at customs saying to report any officials who ask for bribes. I never gave any money and have never been asked for any money and have never had muy luggage searched in all that time.

My last entry to the Philippines with my ex wife was in 2001. Never had any problem receiving the Balikbayan stamp in Manila or Cebu up until then. Never offered any money and was never asked for any money.

Regards: Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It didn't go so well. The customs woman was very tough and expecting. When we didn't pony up she started in on the bags. I bowed to the inevitable at the urging of my wife, gave the $5 and we were on our way instantly. Did much for the custom woman's mood too.

You guys must be lucky.

tom_shor
It didn't go so well. The customs woman was very tough and expecting. When we didn't pony up she started in on the bags. I bowed to the inevitable at the urging of my wife, gave the $5 and we were on our way instantly. Did much for the custom woman's mood too.

You guys must be lucky.

Sorry to hear about that. I have never had any problems with customs before and I have been through Manila many times.

gringo, Perhaps I played the sucker. A middle aged customs lady waved us over like she was eagerly awaiting more work. This should have raised alarm bells. Instead, just ignore such and go for the ones that look like bored to death public officials.

Unless you want to breeze right through and shed $5. At the end of a long trip it's not much.