Assaulted At Mallberry Suites In Cagayan De Oro

When I commented about them being the same, I was mainly talking about the fact that unlike the US, where you have to watch out for the criminal element mainly, here you have to watch out for the elected officials more than the criminals.

Although there are many honest and good people in the government, the Philippines is a kleptocracy from top to bottom.

mrphyjammusashi

In CDO, a safe hotel at which to stay (one that is owned by a Westerner named Tony King from England) is King's Haven. It has a pool and clean rooms. The food there is quite good, and they even bake their own breads, including whole wheat. In fact, many Filipinos buy the bread from him, for it is not the sweet bread that is common in the Philppine bakeries. He also sells the cheapest San Miguel in CDO--I think it was like twenty-five pesos a bottle, and the Beer na Beer is fifteen pesos. Every Sunday, they have a feast of Western and Philippine food, and I mean a feast for a next to nothing charge. Sundays at King's Haven is a great time to meet the ex-pats of CDO. King's Haven is near the SM Mall, and it is also close to the CDO airport.

A few months ago I was staying at the Mallberry Suites Hotel in Cagayan de Oro. I had stayed there previously and had enjoyed my stay.

This time, however, I went to sleep about 10pm. From 11pm to midnight two Filipino men were working on their SUV outside my hotel window. The alarm on the SUV went off about 20 times, always awaking me. At about midnight I walked oustside, and explained to the Filipinos that I was trying to sleep, and asked if they could continue the repairs to the SUV the next day, or at least disconnect the alarm.

The men invited me to sit with them and talk with them. As I sat down,the Filipino man to my left slapped the eyeglasses off my face.

I stood to search for and recover my eyeglasses, and as I did the same man threw the chair at me. The chair did not hit me, but as I looked

around, I noticed that about 10 of the hotel employees were watching.

I said nothing to the men, and walked inside the lobby of the hotel.

I spotted the manager of the hotel sitting at her desk, and I asked to speak with her to explain what had just happened outside.

As I was talking with her, the original man that had hit me came from behind me and slapped me on the back of the head. I turned to the manager to tell her that this was the man that had hit me originally, and as I had my back to the man again, he slapped me on the back of the head again.

I stood up to face the man, and as I did the female manager of the hotel stepped between us to force the Filipino man away from me.

As she did this I noticed that all 5 of the hotels armed guards were watching and did absolutely nothing. The only thing between me and a man that was physically assaulting me was a Filipina weighing about a 100 pounds. As I looked around the lobby I also noticed that about 20 of the hotels customers and 10 or more of the hotel employees were watching everything. So, there were 30 or 40 witnesses of this man physically assaulting me.

As the manager tried to calm the assaulting Filipino, I walked backward and stepped inside the managers inner office. The girls working the front desk locked the door to protect me.

I had to sit inside that office for two hours as the manager of the hotel finally convinced the Filipino that it was late, that he should leave me alone, and that he should go to bed.

Again, all the armed guards did absolutely nothing. The gossip that I heard later is that the man that assaulted me is a politician from Davao, and that all the armed guards were afraid of him.

I also heard that the management and owner of the hotel did not want to call the police because they did not want to "create a scene".

During the entire time that I was in the locked inner office I asked if the police were going to be called or not, and if so I was willing to press charges. I was told several times that the police would not be called. There were 30 or 40 witnesses of what had happened to me, and I had done absolutely nothing physically to assault the man.

The next morning I woke early, looked out me window and I saw my assailant drive off in his SUV. I went to the lobby to see if it was ok for me to appear in public, and to talk with the women at the front desk.

As I was at the front desk, a Fil-Am approached me and invited me to sit with him for coffee. The Fil-Am explained to me that he had seen everything, and also that had the police been called, the police would have done nothing due to the fact that the assailant was a politician, and he also explained to me that the armed guards with the sawed off shotguns were in fact afraid of the politician. My only savior in the whole situation was the 100 pound Filipina manager that was brave enough to ask the assailant to back off.

I decided at that moment to leave Cagayan de Oro , and asked to check out. I also asked the manager that I not be billed for my room.

I explained that I did appreciate the fact that she was most courageous in protecting me, but the other staff of the hotel, and that the police had done absolutely nothing to protect me, and that I was the victim and that I should not have to pay. I also explained that money is important, and that perhaps the manager and owner would not allow my assailant to stay again at that hotel since they had lost money on the fact that he had assaulted me.

The manager apologized many times, and graciously allowed me to check out without paying. The manager was my hero, and protected me, but, it did remind me that I was on my own in CDO, and that no one else would have lifted a finger to help me.

mrphyjammusashi

For anyone interested in a safe place to stay in CDO, I copied and pasted the info below from a Google Search. I'm stateside now, and have no connection with King's haven, other than having been a guest on several occasions.

Kings haven

Kings Haven is precisely what it is, a haven on the outskirts of Cagayan De Oro away from the hustle and bustle of the City. By air it

I have heard from the foreigners' grapevine that Tony King does not own the place anymore...yes, the place is beautiful!

shadow

Hi Don.

I see that your story has been posted on several forums, but there is one forum where it might make a difference. Have you considered posting it to the Philippines Government website forum? It may well creat a problem for your beloved friend, as many politicians and people in power get wind of what is posted there.

Just a thought.

Larry in Dumaguete

Bob Ward
Hi Don.

I see that your story has been posted on several forums, but there is one forum where it might make a difference. Have you considered posting it to the Philippines Government website forum? It may well creat a problem for your beloved friend, as many politicians and people in power get wind of what is posted there.

Just a thought.

Larry in Dumaguete

Depends upon where he lives. If he lives in Mindanao then he might get the dude after him again! The posts I've seen in other places are mainly critical of donb2222 for butting into the guys business. I was not there so it's not my business either. It's just that posting public ridicule here is a way to get deported or wind up dead.

BTW - I am not criticizing donb2222, just reported what I read. I might have done the same thing he did!

Hi Larry,

My attitude now is to just "forgive and forget".

It was my mistake to speak to the man in the first place, I should have just called security

and let them handle it.

Now, I do feel that the politician was in the wrong to have hit me. I politely asked him

to make a little less noise, and he responded with violence.

So, I feel that the politician is more in the wrong by hitting me, but it never

would have happened if I had just stayed in my bed and let security handle him.

Also, one very nice thing that has happened is that many Filipinos and Foreigners

have sent me private messages and emails telling how wise I was to back away from the

situation and not end up in jail or dead. I have tried to reply to the many positive responses.

But, in case I missed anyone, thanks for the support, it is greatly appreciated. The Filipinos especially have

been very kind and thoughtful in their letters to me.

Anyway, it is time to move on. I have told my story, I have learned from the experience,

and I am happy that no permanent damage was done.

Thanks and take care,

Don

Hi Don.

Just a thought.

Larry in Dumaguete

tom_shor
Depends upon where he lives. If he lives in Mindanao then he might get the dude after him again! The posts I've seen in other places are mainly critical of donb2222 for butting into the guys business. I was not there so it's not my business either. It's just that posting public ridicule here is a way to get deported or wind up dead.

BTW - I am not criticizing donb2222, just reported what I read. I might have done the same thing he did!

So they consider making loud noise outside someone elses room late at night as his private business. Hope he does it in front of their room next time. See if they feel the same way.

tom_shor

I was preoccupied the last few days. I am glad to hear you weren't hurt. Hard to believe someone has such a reaction if you ask them politely but some people are just jerks.

• 3 weeks later...

donb2222 !

Sorry to hear about the way you were treated by the Filipino politician. Well, at least now the rest of us know not to spend our money in that Hotel (even though the pinay manager seems to have bigger cojones than either the owner or anyone else there).

Hhm, this is one of the reasons why the Philippines is taking one step backwards every day instead of working to make the Phils more attractive for tourists AND Expats. Seriously, however much most of us foreigners love the Phils & some are also working to promote the Phils for foreign tourism & even expats.... it won

Funny why there were no replies to date. I've been traveling and was not able to read longer threads so easily.

First, one would have to define in more detail what expat friendly countries you want to compare. But as for a genric list of why the Phils, here are my thoughts.

Cost of living is still good there.

Wonderful women abound!

English is spoken!

Beautiful country if you get out of the cities.

Lots of Koreans to talk with.

The Chinese are always nice to you there!

Senior expats are given head of line privileges in all stores.

The Phils will be a first world country in 20 years says the president!

The tourist visa process is such a delight!

Ratsky's P150 special! Minus the Pizza!

Great ladyboy entertainment options!

No need to watch NASCAR, just ride a taxi!

Yea Yea that's it, gold paved streets with free SMB for all!

I don't know, I just like the people and the pace there.

tom_shor

Oh I get it sarcasm. You had me going for a minute there Bob. These kind of things can hapen in just about any country you could care to mention especially if you don't know your way around.

A couple of co workers of mine got surrounded in a bar in the bad part of Hamburg a few years ago and had to pay nearly $900 to get out. Supposedly for drinks they had ordered. Would you say Germany is an unsafe country or that these guys just went someplace they didn't belong.

You just have to be careful and use your brain.

The booze is cheap here and the women are beautiful! At least my wife let's me have the booze. But I would rather trade it for the other. :any-help:

Tor in Cebu

tom_shor
The booze is cheap here and the women are beautiful! At least my wife let's me have the booze. But I would rather trade it for the other. :)

Tor in Cebu

I hope your wife doesn't read this forum :any-help: She might be trading you in.