Assaulted At Mallberry Suites In Cagayan De Oro

A few months ago I was staying at the Mallberry Suites Hotel in Cagayan de Oro. I had stayed there previously and had enjoyed my stay.

This time, however, I went to sleep about 10pm. From 11pm to midnight two Filipino men were working on their SUV outside my hotel window. The alarm on the SUV went off about 20 times, always awaking me. At about midnight I walked oustside, and explained to the Filipinos that I was trying to sleep, and asked if they could continue the repairs to the SUV the next day, or at least disconnect the alarm.

The men invited me to sit with them and talk with them. As I sat down,the Filipino man to my left slapped the eyeglasses off my face.

I stood to search for and recover my eyeglasses, and as I did the same man threw the chair at me. The chair did not hit me, but as I looked

around, I noticed that about 10 of the hotel employees were watching.

I said nothing to the men, and walked inside the lobby of the hotel.

I spotted the manager of the hotel sitting at her desk, and I asked to speak with her to explain what had just happened outside.

As I was talking with her, the original man that had hit me came from behind me and slapped me on the back of the head. I turned to the manager to tell her that this was the man that had hit me originally, and as I had my back to the man again, he slapped me on the back of the head again.

I stood up to face the man, and as I did the female manager of the hotel stepped between us to force the Filipino man away from me.

As she did this I noticed that all 5 of the hotels armed guards were watching and did absolutely nothing. The only thing between me and a man that was physically assaulting me was a Filipina weighing about a 100 pounds. As I looked around the lobby I also noticed that about 20 of the hotels customers and 10 or more of the hotel employees were watching everything. So, there were 30 or 40 witnesses of this man physically assaulting me.

As the manager tried to calm the assaulting Filipino, I walked backward and stepped inside the managers inner office. The girls working the front desk locked the door to protect me.

I had to sit inside that office for two hours as the manager of the hotel finally convinced the Filipino that it was late, that he should leave me alone, and that he should go to bed.

Again, all the armed guards did absolutely nothing. The gossip that I heard later is that the man that assaulted me is a politician from Davao, and that all the armed guards were afraid of him.

I also heard that the management and owner of the hotel did not want to call the police because they did not want to "create a scene".

During the entire time that I was in the locked inner office I asked if the police were going to be called or not, and if so I was willing to press charges. I was told several times that the police would not be called. There were 30 or 40 witnesses of what had happened to me, and I had done absolutely nothing physically to assault the man.

The next morning I woke early, looked out me window and I saw my assailant drive off in his SUV. I went to the lobby to see if it was ok for me to appear in public, and to talk with the women at the front desk.

As I was at the front desk, a Fil-Am approached me and invited me to sit with him for coffee. The Fil-Am explained to me that he had seen everything, and also that had the police been called, the police would have done nothing due to the fact that the assailant was a politician, and he also explained to me that the armed guards with the sawed off shotguns were in fact afraid of the politician. My only savior in the whole situation was the 100 pound Filipina manager that was brave enough to ask the assailant to back off.

I decided at that moment to leave Cagayan de Oro , and asked to check out. I also asked the manager that I not be billed for my room.

I explained that I did appreciate the fact that she was most courageous in protecting me, but the other staff of the hotel, and that the police had done absolutely nothing to protect me, and that I was the victim and that I should not have to pay. I also explained that money is important, and that perhaps the manager and owner would not allow my assailant to stay again at that hotel since they had lost money on the fact that he had assaulted me.

The manager apologized many times, and graciously allowed me to check out without paying. The manager was my hero, and protected me, but, it did remind me that I was on my own in CDO, and that no one else would have lifted a finger to help me.

I'm so sorry it happened to you here in Cagayan de Oro. Yes, do you happen to know the name of the politician? If you will allow me, I will print your message and give it to one radio station just so that these kind of politicians will be aware that if they think they can just harrass a foreigner and nobody will just give a damn, they better think again...on second thought what if, the media man is under the politician's payroll? :cry:<_<

But still it's about time something should be done on these issues... :lmao::wink:

Or please PM me your complete name, I will submit your message and my own complain to the office of the mayor/city tourism office...will tell them you are my husband's friend.... :cool_01: you are our Visitor and no one has the right to do it to you...not even a politician from davao...!

My point here is that the authorities concerned should know what's going on and if the act on it good for us, if not, at least we will know where we stand.

I'm so sorry it happened to you here in Cagayan de Oro. Yes, do you happen to know the name of the politician? If you will allow me, I will print your message and give it to one radio station just so that these kind of politicians will be aware that if they think they can just harrass a foreigner and nobody will just give a damn, they better think again...on second thought what if, the media man is under the politician's payroll? :cry:<_<

But still it's about time something should be done on these issues... :lmao::wink:

Or please PM me your complete name, I will submit your message and my own complain to the office of the mayor/city tourism office...will tell them you are my husband's friend.... :cool_01: you are our Visitor and no one has the right to do it to you...not even a politician from davao...!

My point here is that the authorities concerned should know what's going on and if the act on it good for us, if not, at least we will know where we stand.

Unfortunately I do not have the politicians name. The only clue that I have of his identity is that his buddy is a permanent resident of the Mallberry Suites. My understanding is that the politician is very well known to both the owner and management of the hotel.

My Main focus at the time was on my own personal security, and the only thing on my mind was getting out of there.

It was constantly mentioned that is was BETTER that the police and other politicians in CDO not be involved because it was most likely that I would be the one blamed, and that I would be the one spending the night in jail. Sorry, but most of the employees at the hotel, and the Fil-Am that I had coffee with felt that I was better off NOT getting the local police or politicians involved.

The cynic in me tells me that had the police been involved that with even up to 40 witnesses, I would have been the one spending the night in jail. Plus I would have been the one paying bribes, and lawyers and other fees. Sorry, but that is the cynic in me. In America the politician would have been jailed and would have been front line news the next day.

But, after talking with the many Filipinos in CDO, and my other past experiences, I truly do feel that the Filipino justice system would have had me jailed, and had ME being the one to pay much money to the politician that assaulted me.

Thanks for your offer of help. Maybe, if I knew the politicians name, I could be more help, and maybe the correct justice could be served.

Actually, if you do know the name of the female manager, and you would like to call her, just give her my name "Don". I am sure that she remembers the incident quite clearly.

Don, you showed real wisdom in your cool headed reaction to that situation. Some of those Philippine gangster-politicians have life and death power; there is no justice in Da Philippines. It

Bob Ward

The similarity betwen this story and mine are uncanny. This kind of story really gets my blood boiling again. Best wishes. I hope the incident did not scar you too badly. I was over my problem till I read this. There are some real @ssholes here!

Hi Bob,

This incident occurred about 6 months ago. It was not until now that I felt like talking about it.

Fortunately I was not physically hurt, but my pride and sense of security were hurt.

Hopefully our telling our stories will help others to know that things are quite different here than in the west.

The similarity betwen this story and mine are uncanny. This kind of story really gets my blood boiling again. Best wishes. I hope the incident did not scar you too badly. I was over my problem till I read this. There are some real @ssholes here!
Don, you showed real wisdom in your cool headed reaction to that situation. Some of those Philippine gangster-politicians have life and death power; there is no justice in Da Philippines. It
Unfortunately I do not have the politicians name. The only clue that I have of his identity is that his buddy is a permanent resident of the Mallberry Suites. My understanding is that the politician is very well known to both the owner and management of the hotel.

My Main focus at the time was on my own personal security, and the only thing on my mind was getting out of there.

It was constantly mentioned that is was BETTER that the police and other politicians in CDO not be involved because it was most likely that I would be the one blamed, and that I would be the one spending the night in jail. Sorry, but most of the employees at the hotel, and the Fil-Am that I had coffee with felt that I was better off NOT getting the local police or politicians involved.

The cynic in me tells me that had the police been involved that with even up to 40 witnesses, I would have been the one spending the night in jail. Plus I would have been the one paying bribes, and lawyers and other fees. Sorry, but that is the cynic in me. In America the politician would have been jailed and would have been front line news the next day.

But, after talking with the many Filipinos in CDO, and my other past experiences, I truly do feel that the Filipino justice system would have had me jailed, and had ME being the one to pay much money to the politician that assaulted me.

Thanks for your offer of help. Maybe, if I knew the politicians name, I could be more help, and maybe the correct justice could be served.

Actually, if you do know the name of the female manager, and you would like to call her, just give her my name "Don". I am sure that she remembers the incident quite clearly.

In fairness to CDO politician, so far we don't hear anyone of them personally assaulting a foreigner . If it happened 6 months ago then most probably Michelle Spiers was the Vice Mayor. She is married to a foreigner. I have this thread printed excluding the names and also the website. I love CDO and me and my organization felt that there is a big need for improving it when it comes to handling its tourists. Maybe, the proper authorities could start from here.

Bob Ward
While this incident did happen in CDO, and could easily happen in any location in the Philippines, the politician was from Davao. Davao is where even the mayor is anti-american. As far as CDO, I have never heard of this sentiment from the politicians. I think it would be a shock to the vice-mayor of CDO to find out.

This incident and Bob's are completely different. Bob was confronted, while Don was the one confronting. Whether right or wrong, as a foreigner in the Philippines, rule number one, you don't go confronting any one, especially in the middle of the night in a hotel parking lot, and when they are probably already mad or drunk to start with.

Jimmy, your point is well taken and well spoken. It's true that one should not confront anyone here unnecessarily. I was WAY wrong for confronting the drunk son, but my western instinct took over thinking that I has rights. We foreigners have NO rights shere, only abject tolerance!

In fairness to CDO politician, so far we don't hear anyone of them personally assaulting a foreigner . If it happened 6 months ago then most probably Michelle Spiers was the Vice Mayor. She is married to a foreigner. I have this thread printed excluding the names and also the website. I love CDO and me and my organization felt that there is a big need for improving it when it comes to handling its tourists. Maybe, the proper authorities could start from here.

Thanks Tweety !!! :)

Jimmy, your point is well taken and well spoken. It's true that one should not confront anyone here unnecessarily. I was WAY wrong for confronting the drunk son, but my western instinct took over thinking that I has rights. We foreigners have NO rights shere, only abject tolerance!

Bob, just my opinion, but in your situation, you did NOT start it. That to me is the really scary thing about your situation and what makes it on a completely different level. While hindsight is always great, who would have thought to start with that you would have any trouble. However, what Don did, shoot I wouldn't even do it in the states unless I was ready for trouble. With all of that said, I do take my hat off to both of you for handling it much better once it did start than I would.

Both situations are kind of similiar and I could see myself in both. I am really glad that those stories have been posted here as it gives us an idea as to how lawless this country can be and what situations are to avoid. Thanks to both. It takes some guts to post it.

Bob Ward

When I commented about them being the same, I was mainly talking about the fact that unlike the US, where you have to watch out for the criminal element mainly, here you have to watch out for the elected officials more than the criminals.

"here you have to watch out for the elected officials more than the criminals."

Nope nope, the elected officials ARE the criminals.