Foundations, Non-profit Organizations, Etc.

Greetings:

As some of you may know, I use the funds earned from Google ads, book sales, etc. on this (and other) sites that I own, in order to help children in the Philippines, for the most part. (On occasion, if I see another case I can help with, I do, such as regarding the funeral not too long ago.)

Anyway, I am considering trying to have a non-profit organization started here, specifically to help the kids. That way, I could probably get money from outside sources, along with what I donate, to help even more here.

So, if anyone has any information on this, please let me know where to go, in order to get this started.

Thanks,

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daisy

• Paul

• Cebuned

• mattwilkie

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings:

As some of you may know, I use the funds earned from Google ads, book sales, etc. on this (and other) sites that I own, in order to help children in the Philippines, for the most part. (On occasion, if I see another case I can help with, I do, such as regarding the funeral not too long ago.)

Anyway, I am considering trying to have a non-profit organization started here, specifically to help the kids. That way, I could probably get money from outside sources, along with what I donate, to help even more here.

So, if anyone has any information on this, please let me know where to go, in order to get this started.

Thanks,

I am planning to do the same.

Actually I am leaving for home today. I have sold my business, started up something here for my wifes relatives that I hope will be a sound investment and I plan to start up a new business back home and as a sideline do welfare work.

I do know a lot about starting a charitable organisation back home. I have studied the rules and the regulations. The tax benefits etc. That wont help you much though, since you are not connected to Norway in any way. I do not know if I must, or should or would register anything down here though... I havent checked that out yet.

What I was thinking about was to start up a scholarship program for some kids in the province, but also donate to other organizations/projects that I find trustworthy. I thought I would look closer at The Freemans Foundation among others.

If I find some usefull info I keep posting here.

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick
Greetings:

Thanks,

We asked about starting a non-profit a few years back. What stopped us was having to have an attorney, paid a monthly retainer, on our Board. Huge amounts of paperwork. P100,000 deposited in a bank account of our non-profit org. We gave up on it.

Here's some reading for you: NGO

Billy

So, it may be best to simply spend the money I earn from the sites and forums on the kids, as I have been doing? If so, I have no problems in doing that either.

Right now, I have my "Magnificent 7", a group of boys (and one girl) who I take care of at the local market.

I am open to ideas, so please, anyone who is interested, please let me know what you think. Input?

I would suggest, you should start from organizing within yourself...60 percent Filipinas probably the wives/fiancees and 40 % expats...and it does not require that much money...will go to foundation later but just take one step at a time. I willoffer my services for free, paper works and all and you you could arrange on-line conference for those who are interested to join since I am here in CDO...minimum member would be 5, who will set as the BOD (Board of Directors) CHEERS!

CaptainJackson

Paul,

I am not one for starting a formal non-profit group, as it sounds like it is to complicated. I have donated here, and to another site in the past, and I continue to donate through chimellie, who has a joint bank account with his sister-in-law, in Tabunok.

I also think it might be time again to donate money so that you (or Vivian, ot Ayah when she feel up to it) can go to the emergency room and pay for the services for some poor child. (When I get back from vacation, in early September)

I think the way you are handling it now is probably best.

Besides, people not familure with the Philippines may not be inclined to donate.

If you decide to go the "non-profit" route, keep us informed.

I think setting up a group would be a great idea, and I'de be willing to help in any way I can....

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes.

We asked about starting a non-profit a few years back. What stopped us was having to have an attorney, paid a monthly retainer, on our Board. Huge amounts of paperwork. P100,000 deposited in a bank account of our non-profit org. We gave up on it.

Here's some reading for you: NGO

Billy

I think this is a very worthwhile project and as it is I will volunteer to do the paper works and the necessary government requirements. There's no need for that amount if it will start as just a charitable organization. If there are members who would like to volunteer as members as I said we need a minimum of 5 members to act as the Board of Directors in which the Chairman will be elected among them. 3 Flipinos and 2 expats or even more...Even if I will work the papers here in CDO, the recognition will be nationwide...Bank deposit will not be needed...Will opened later if there is already a legal name for the organization. As a start what is needed is 120 pesos for name verification( in which my suggested name will be Living In Cebu Charities, Inc. ) and 500 pesos for the registration. To notarize the documents maybe 200 to 500 pesos. Addional expenses will be less than 500 hundred for the Book and processing will only take a week after all documents are submitted. Again I suggest to all of you guys to be a member especially those who live in the Philippines for good. As a start my suggested activities would be Scholarship project and Medical Mission....just a suggestion to give you guys an idea.

As per experience last year our total expenses including BIR Certification did not even exceed to 5thousand pesos...and it will be able to get the TAX FREE certificate from BIR!

Anyway the decision is yours guys...just signify your intentions as Paul said and we could start from there!

CHEERS!

Tweety,

You have my vote for taking care of the paperwork and whatever else you seem to think is needed in getting this started. I even like the name you choose.

I may be in the States still, but as stated before, I should be making my final move to Cebu within the next year.

Don't know what I can actually do for the Org. but I'de be willing to help out in any way that I can.

Just Ask,

Ned

Bob Ward

Since I have too much time on my hands, I would be willing to support a group effort. even serve on the board it asked. With tweety's capable help on the dreaded paperwork, the wouldbe a big start.

We would have to vote on a methodology for utilizing the funds in a proportional way to the area of the donations. ie Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.

I'm pretty god at PR work so I'm sure we could get some positive press out of it as well. Which might get the donations coming from other sources as well.

Many complain of boredom here! Many complain about the beggars here! Many are concerned about the poverty, but are afraid to assist as they might be taken advantage of. This could help solve many of these issues and other unforseen issues.

Paul, you could still do your pet charities, but still lend a hand with the organized charity when possible. There are many web hosting companies that offer price breaks for charitable organizations. You might be able to save money on the LIC site if it were re-organized.

EFPC

Expats for Philippine Children

LICCF

Living in Cebu Children's Foundation

HFC

Help Filipino Children

Think! Think!

I think this is a very worthwhile project and as it is I will volunteer to do the paper works and the necessary government requirements. There's no need for that amount if it will start as just a charitable organization. If there are members who would like to volunteer as members as I said we need a minimum of 5 members to act as the Board of Directors in which the Chairman will be elected among them. 3 Flipinos and 2 expats or even more...Even if I will work the papers here in CDO, the recognition will be nationwide...Bank deposit will not be needed...Will opened later if there is already a legal name for the organization. As a start what is needed is 120 pesos for name verification( in which my suggested name will be Living In Cebu Charities, Inc. ) and 500 pesos for the registration. To notarize the documents maybe 200 to 500 pesos. Addional expenses will be less than 500 hundred for the Book and processing will only take a week after all documents are submitted. Again I suggest to all of you guys to be a member especially those who live in the Philippines for good. As a start my suggested activities would be Scholarship project and Medical Mission....just a suggestion to give you guys an idea.

Tweety,

First, thanks for your generousity.

So, we would go through the SEC like a typical corporation would?

If you would, please send me a PM on how best to contact you. If you don't see this, I will make it a point to send you a PM. By the way, I like the name. :lmao:

I have 2 Filipinos who would help by serving on the board, I'm pretty sure anyway. Both I trust completely, without question.

As per experience last year our total expenses including BIR Certification did not even exceed to 5thousand pesos...and it will be able to get the TAX FREE certificate from BIR!

As anyone who knows me knows, I am not a cheap or thrifty person. Nor am I greedy. But, it is good to know that, Php 5,000 could be the costs involved in setting this up for the first year. (Before anyone says anything, no, I'm not quite that naive and ignorant. :lmao::)

I know we would have other costs involved. But, it is great to know that we can start doing this, legally, with the vast majority of donations and other funds, going straight for the kids.

My only concern would be families who would attempt to take advantage of this. This isn't a jab at Filipinos, as I am quite sure it could happen anywhere in the world. I personally know of cases where similar incidents happened, that are could happen here.

Since I have too much time on my hands, I would be willing to support a group effort. even serve on the board it asked. With tweety's capable help on the dreaded paperwork, the wouldbe a big start.

We would have to vote on a methodology for utilizing the funds in a proportional way to the area of the donations. ie Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.

I'm pretty god at PR work so I'm sure we could get some positive press out of it as well. Which might get the donations coming from other sources as well.

I agree. I didn't know we would have to have board members, but if it helps to get something going, I would like to see if this could happen.

Many complain of boredom here! Many complain about the beggars here! Many are concerned about the poverty, but are afraid to assist as they might be taken advantage of. This could help solve many of these issues and other unforseen issues.

Some of the kids I help here, are homeless, I believe. Not a bad bunch of kids, really.

Paul, you could still do your pet charities, but still lend a hand with the organized charity when possible. There are many web hosting companies that offer price breaks for charitable organizations. You might be able to save money on the LIC site if it were re-organized.

Um, Bob, I thought you knew, I do my own web hosting. :D:lmao:

Hey, how long will you be out of the country?

Bob Ward
Hey, how long will you be out of the country?

Long enough to sell my house in FL as I can't support the $3K monthly expenses for it anymore. That money would go a long way here!

Just PM me...I need the complete names...I could start and I will do it from here because I have a a former classmate in Xavier who works at SEC Region 10...sooner the better!

CHEERS!

Just PM me...I need the complete names...I could start and I will do it from here because I have a a former classmate in Xavier who works at SEC Region 10...sooner the better!

CHEERS!

PM has been sent to you Tweety...

Thanks, Ned

I should be in Cebu this week. I will contact one person there. I will also contact another person who lives in CDO, whom I have a great deal of trust in. I will PM you when I find out more, Tweety.

Thanks again, for your help.