Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Too Many Syllables

Frosty

When I first got here, it didn't bother me, but now (sometimes) listening to people talking in Bisaya is really really annoying. Especially on radio ads where they talk as fast as they can. There are too many syllables in the language!

Paul

Um, Leo, it's time for you to have a tutor.

I don't think it is too many syllables that are it. I believe it is too many shortcuts, which can make it more difficult to follow, for westerners learning the language anyway.

Torestre

I don't think it is too many syllables that are it. I believe it is too many shortcuts, which can make it more difficult to follow, for westerners learning the language anyway.

The short cuts can be a problem. Like in Norwegian its common to combine words when speaking, so for someone who is not very familiar with the language it could be difficult to understand.

Ex: vil du (Meaning "do you want" or literally "will you"). When people speak it could sound like "Viddu" or "Virru".

So I agree with you. A tutor would come in handy for anyone who seriously want to learn a language. The real problem with learning from the locals here is that most people dont know their own language. Sure they speak it perfectly, but they are not able to explain why.

Hopefully this will change in the future. I heard that they are starting to teach Bisaya in school in Cordova. If the locals would learn more about their Bisaya grammar they would be able to express how and why to us much easier than today.

Bob Ward

That's the truth. In Cebuano they like to shorten things as much as possible and it's spoken at a much faster speed than Tagalog. Many times only one sylable of a word is used depending on the dialect and context. Ever wonder why the conductor on a jeepney says gar to stop and gi to go. That's short for lugar and sige, but hey just use the last sylable

T.S.
There are too many syllables in the language!

I agree. My wife always tells me that I need to pronounce the words by syllable, but seperates the syllables in totally different places than me. :cool_01:

Frosty

Each vowel gets it's own syllable ..