Meet Your Forum Neighbors

• Admin (Retired)
broden
Yep, that's what I need - a riding lawn mower with a cup holder! I bought my gas mower at Citi-Hardware. I have never heard the sound of another one outside of my compound. Probably because my neighbors are poor and their goats and cows take care of the grass. Nice to read the members' stories here. I was a little shy to post mine, but better late than never.

Mike in Cebu

this will help keep you from overheating while mowing ... after all safety first

gallery_2443_106_1678.jpg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Ward

• tom_shor

• Lee

• james

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, that's what I need - a riding lawn mower with a cup holder! I bought my gas mower at Citi-Hardware. I have never heard the sound of another one outside of my compound. Probably because my neighbors are poor and their goats and cows take care of the grass. Nice to read the members' stories here. I was a little shy to post mine, but better late than never.

Mike in Cebu

this will help keep you from overheating while mowing ... after all safety first

gallery_2443_106_1678.jpg

Nice color of that beer in the mug!

Alan S
Sorry for my sometimes bad english, the story is long and written in dutch so i use a translater to make it english but not everything is correct and i don't no how to fix it.

But the story is treu and i hope you know me better now.

Ben, your English is far better than my Dutch, and I am sure that applies to the majority here.

Welcome to the forum, and dont worry about the English.

At least we could understand your meaning.

Lee
Ok folks, I think we have several records here.

Losgest post,freaking biggest paragraph, most diction issues!!

BUT, it's great after I read the first three sentences. I will read three more each day till I get it all digested.

Ben, please don't take offense, I'm just playing! Thanks for taking that time to share. I will seriously reply when I have read the entire 5 1/2 pages in word. This will be after trying to section it off a little. I'm too old to read that much in one sitting!!

Have a few more beers Bob, it will be a lot easier to read. :lol::D

Thanks for posting Ben and for sharing your story. ;)

Finally someone who has longer run-on sentences or longer paragraph than I usually do. Ben thank you for taking away my title B) :rolleyes:

Ben, we are all about having fun here, while sharing information, so please do not get offended by my joking.

Edited by Mr. Lee
Hello I will even proposals: My name is Ben am I am 62 years young and with functional age dismissal . 25 Years have been together with my first woman who I met then them 17 was and I 32 therefore concerning age differs I know what, are important at real love point from!! in 2002, got they it however in its ball and left behind themselves without the 2 kids of 13 and 16 years. Now she had no new friend or this way but wanted its own to find. Up to 2006 went good, they worked in the meantime fulltime had no friend and life on house eat and TV to always only look at further nothing even for the children had them no time therefore them was real of region can you, however, put. By the Christmas all of a sudden a letter of a lawyer: she wants the children and you must leave the house within 10 days! Even swallowing, does not clear 3 years to the children looked back and now that? Only the younger missed its mother, however, I knew it just as no longer, everything on a row put and a decision taken. I sale the house the children go to mother and I with FLO and, however, will see where the ship strands. (on the Philippines eventually) now I can tell that it has no pot also already I 38 years by the NATIONAL CIVIL PENSION FUND has been saved. Therefore because I nevertheless found the Azi
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
It's ok
Lacion Girl

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and my name is Racquel, born and raised in little town of Consolacion, Cebu (some of you knew where it is) married to a wondeful "kano" for 12 years now and living in Wisconsin. I got interested in this forum since it is more or less about my beautiful island Cebu which I missed a lot. I've been visiting this forum for a while and now finally decided to join. I'm glad that most of you who now lives in Cebu part/full time generally liked it. I'm glad that you are since me and my husband are planning to retire in Cebu also in the near future and at least now I have an idea that a "kano" can live there and be comfortable and happy living there. I hope to meet some of you next year when we go home for a vacation.

I lived in New Jersey, New York for a while then I moved to Tulsa, OK (work related) from L.A. Ca and my husband Jim moved from Boston (work related too) and met him there via friend of a friend (you know how it is). We do not have kids (not planning to have one), but we have "Benny" a black lab mix with something I do not know (maybe pit bull-he is so flexible). I used to work as an accountant but quit last year to go back to school for a nursing degree. I think being a nurse I can pick my time when I want to work(part time) because I want to retire early (50maybe)and still have a decent income to pay my taxes (damm those high taxes).

You will probably hear from me from time to time and be one of the few Filipina (Pinay) voice in this forum. I'm l probably not up to date when it comes to the topic of Cebu, since I've been away for a long time (maybe those of you who lived there can fill me up) but certainly a true Pinay voice since I'm still a true Pinay at heart and soul with bit of Western flavor.

Bob Ward, thanks for this thread, really insightful and interesting and I got to know my neighbors. Now I have an idea and understanding when so an so made this and that comment.

Lee
Hi everyone. I'm a new member and my name is Racquel, born and raised in little town of Consolacion, Cebu (some of you knew where it is) married to a wondeful "kano" for 12 years now and living in Wisconsin. I got interested in this forum since it is more or less about my beautiful island Cebu which I missed a lot. I've been visiting this forum for a while and now finally decided to join. I'm glad that most of you who now lives in Cebu part/full time generally liked it. I'm glad that you are since me and my husband are planning to retire in Cebu also in the near future and at least now I have an idea that a "kano" can live there and be comfortable and happy living there. I hope to meet some of you next year when we go home for a vacation.

I lived in New Jersey, New York for a while then I moved to Tulsa, OK (work related) from L.A. Ca and my husband Jim moved from Boston (work related too) and met him there via friend of a friend (you know how it is). We do not have kids (not planning to have one), but we have "Benny" a black lab mix with something I do not know (maybe pit bull-he is so flexible). I used to work as an accountant but quit last year to go back to school for a nursing degree. I think being a nurse I can pick my time when I want to work(part time) because I want to retire early (50maybe)and still have a decent income to pay my taxes (damm those high taxes).

You will probably hear from me from time to time and be one of the few Filipina (Pinay) voice in this forum. I'm l probably not up to date when it comes to the topic of Cebu, since I've been away for a long time (maybe those of you who lived there can fill me up) but certainly a true Pinay voice since I'm still a true Pinay at heart and soul with bit of Western flavor.

Bob Ward, thanks for this thread, really insightful and interesting and I got to know my neighbors. Now I have an idea and understanding when so an so made this and that comment.

:biggrin_01: to the forum and yes, we need the voices of reason of as many Filipina's as dare to come aboard. :as-if:

Cebu is great and getting better with each passing year, but it is starting to get expensive in the city. My wife and I hope to meet you and your husband down the road.

Hi and welcome to the forum. My wife and I live just 1 km north of Consolacion. We would like to meet you and your husband, let us know when you are coming.

Mike in Cebu

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and my name is Racquel, born and raised in little town of Consolacion, Cebu (some of you knew where it is) married to a wondeful "kano" for 12 years now and living in Wisconsin. ...snip

Hi Racquel,

My name os Bob and my wife's name is Josie. She has been in counrty since 1999 and is from Marakina City. We live in Arizona at Pinetop. Glad you joined here. My wife's sister is a dialysis nurse here in AZ. and has been in counrty since 2003.

Josie teaches 3rd grade and I am semi-retired.

If there is anything we can do for you, please ask. Sometimes members "private message" PM each other with specific things.

Good luck on your new career. We have a friend we met on a trip to Baguio in 1999 who was an accountant there who now lives in Chicago . She went back to school a couple of years ago and became a nurse too.

Any way, have a great day and welcome aboard.

BobH

tom_shor
It's ok
  • 1 month later...
Markham

Erm... hello :smile:.... I'm Mark and have only very recently discovered this site even though I've been living in Cebu for almost one year now. What a valuable resource this is - congratulations to all!

I was born and raised just outside Oxford (UK) and with my parents overseas, I was educated in a succession of private schools (for non-Brits, these are actually the exact opposite!). My father was, at that time, a senior director with APCM (a major British cement manufacturer) and responsible for building and operating new plants throughout the Far East. That meant that I got to spend the longer school holidays at my parents' home in an ex-pat compound just outside Kuala Lumpur. Initially at that time, Malaya was still in a state of emergency due to communist insurgents although a sizeable British military presence did its best to maintain law and order and protect the citizenry. Nevertheless over the years, I managed to visit some really beautiful places including Penang, Kuala Krai (on the Thai border), Frasers Hill, the Cameron Highlands (where "Boh", IMHO the best tea in the world, is grown) as well as some interesting but not so beautiful places such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Tapei and Manila.

As I sat my "A" level exams in May 1968, I didn't have a clue what to do as a career. The thrice-annual trips to the Far East had definitely made me want to travel but had also given me a false sense of security and, it must be said, I had till then led somewhat of a charmed life. An uncle, who had been a career naval officer during the war years, was keen that I should join the Royal Navy but the thought of going to Dartmouth - or indeed any university - for the next four years did not appeal. Travel was what I wanted so I successfully applied to P&O and joined their officer-cadet training scheme in November of that year. After some initial shore-based training, I was appointed to my first ship and sailed from the Royal Docks in London in January '69.

A few months later I was on the Bridge as we entered the strait between Cebu and Mactan island and the ship anchored approximately where the old bridge is now situated. We'd arrived from New Zealand with a cargo of frozen lamb, butter and dried milk; in its place we'd be loading mangoes, pineapples and sugar. That initial stay here lasted almost 3 weeks as discharging the frozen goods into small, unrefridgerated lighters could only happen at night. The length of our stay here gave us more than ample opportunity to get ashore and explore. Cebu City was tiny compared to today with the airport (in Lahug - where Asia Town IT Park and the Waterfront now sit) on the outskirts. I had come across Filipinos before but those in Cebu I found to be a class apart: always smiling and much friendlier than those in Manila and the island itself, beautiful and largely unspoilt.

Over the next few years, I was fortunate enough to return here and my love affair with Cebu grew stronger and I vowed that one day I would come back to live here. I continued with the seafaring life with P&O and other companies until the mid-1980s but, to my dismay, did not revisit the islands due mainly to being on passenger liners. The growing popularity of air travel coupled with rising fuel costs led to the demise or shrinkage of many shipping companies from the early 1980s and it became harder and harder to get postings.

Having left the regular merchant navy in 1986, I worked for a year sailing four-masted schooners around the Caribbean and it was there that I met the woman who later became wife Mark 1, an American. That marriage lasted for 3 years until I had to return to the UK as my mother was terminally-ill: my wife took that as her cue to have an affair. But whilst I was in the US, I took the opportunity of going back to college and trained in marketing and communciations. For the next 8 years, I worked for a small but growing computer manufacturer in the UK as its in-house Press and Public Relations officer until I was persuaded by an editor friend to switch to journalism.

That change opened more horizons for me. As I was working as Technical Editor of a weekly computer newspaper, I met all the key industry players and interviewed most of them at least once. I also learned to program computers - and still do this, more as a hobby than anything else - as well as meeting and marrying wife Mark 2: a widow with two teenage children.

That marriage formerly ended last August although, due to the iniquitous and ever-changing divorce laws, the financial settlement still has not been finalised and my ex-wife continues to live in my UK home, more or less at my expense. On a more positive note, my step-daughter (whose real father died whilst before her 1st birthday) and I have a strong father-daughter relationship - much to her mum's annoyance! She and her boyfriend will be visiting Cebu for a few weeks in September though there is a chance she may decide to stay longer and work as a volunteer teacher before going to university next year to study Politics.

I live in Lahug and have a good circle of filipino friends I can count on but no-one special as yet - though I am working on that. Do I miss the UK? No! Although I do miss draught Guinness and a few other food-related items (decent bacon and pork bangers being at the top of that list!). I've been back twice in the last year and, since my home there is in west Wales, fly in and out of Cardiff via Amsterdam and Manila. The KLM service between Amsterdam and Manila is excellent - although I do wish it arrived an hour earlier to avoid the 4-hour wait for the Cebu (PAL) connection. (KLM is, I believe, planning to start a direct service to Cebu sometime - its Manila flights are always 100% full.)

In addition to generally relaxing and enjoying life, I do moderate for a Canadian software company's peer-to-peer site.

And that's me - in a rather large nutshell!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

O yes, I forgot to introduce myself. Somebody gave me the link, but I forgot, sorry ... :blink:

I hit this forum while searching for something via Google.

I found a lot of interesting threads here, so I registered.

My first time in the Philippines was in 1999 to meet my future wife. I married her in 2000.

Since then, I visited the Phils once a year, for 6 weeks or more.

The plan to emigrate was formed quite early, precisely during my third visit here.

Since I'm never loosing time, I bought a lot and started constructing my house in 2003 here near Oroquieta City, in a small Barangay directly at the beach (which was my dream of living here).

In 2004, I founded an internet-forum with the topic "Philippines".

In March 2008, I finally was able and ready to realize my plan after selling my business.

I'm from Germany and 39 Years old.

And I hope I will be able to contribute and gain lots of informations in this forum, though not living in Cebu. And I hope to improve my English. :blink:

My special skills are automotive, home improvement and computers, so I hope I can help sometimes.