Meet Your Forum Neighbors

Nice one Scapegoat, and true for many... but check my Myspace... nothing but the truth there:

HeyJoe's Myspace!

For those who don't want to click the link, heres a summary:

I'm 37 and have been married for almost 16 years now to my lovely wife Sarah who hails from Bacolod City, Negros Occ.

We met when I was in the Navy and stationed in Okinawa. When I got out of the Navy I moved to Hawaii to find work so that I could be closer to the Philippines.... in fact I almost moved to Guam, but the job market of course was better in Hawaii.

I would work for approximately 6 months of the year and live in backpacker hostels and cheap efficiencies, all the while saving my money... then I would go to the Philippines to live with my wife for the remainder of the year. All in all, I spent about 6 years total in the Philippines before we finally decided to move to the States together.

We've been here now (in Texas and later New Mexico) since 1998, but we are going to be moving to the Seattle area in March of 08, because we both miss the ocean and don't care for Albuquerque.

I'm currently employed as an accountant, but am working on an anthropology degree. I am a lifetime nerd and a fan of all things fantasy and supernatural (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc). I'm basically a 12 year old trapped in this body!

In addition to the internet, I enjoy movies, many genres of music, reading a good book, camping, fishing, and travelling.

I have a bunch of photos up over at Myspace (as I've mentioned before) of myself and my family, so check em' out if you are so inclined, and tell Brad Paisley that not everyone who uses Myspace is a poser or a liar! :blink:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Ward

• tom_shor

• Lee

• Daisy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm 49, married to a wonderful gal from Bohol going on 10 great years. We are currently living on the Oregon Coast. We brought her father over and he lives with us, her mother passed away. In a month we all head for Bohol! We have a house there. I'm currently doing contracting, carpentry and painting, not too much as I'm semi retired.

Life is good. :D

Ok, thought I'd give this a go.

My name's William, Will, Bill or Billy whichever you prefer. I made this account shortly after returning from Cebu and just wanted to kind of "keep in touch" with the place and this seemed to be how the screen name "Schnapp" was invented when I was very drunk one evening from drinking a big bottle of peach schnapps to myself. I'm 18 and from Liverpool, England. I have a girlfriend from Cebu who is also 18 and we're basically madly infatuated and looking forward to be reunited ASAP. The relationship is very young and undeveloped which is all the more reason for me to pursue it keenly and at least experience the good or bad that will come of it which I'm fully prepared for and excited about. I don't know much about love or life but I'm doing everything it takes to keep this going. I've had some girlfriends in the past (mainly in the Philippines) but none compare to this even if I take a step back and try to look neutrally at them. Not really interested in marriage or children at this point so there's not much to say on that.

My childhood was in most people's opinion absolutely awful. I've been through some things that I've locked away and choose never to even think about again. I'm not complaining no-one's life is easy all of the time but I can only account for my own experiences which have been terrible up until about the last few years when I started to look at myself, my life and where it was going. No degree of counselling worked for me and it was a mutual agreement between me and a counsellor that ended any outside help for me. My family obviously know what I've been through (primarily being the cause of it all) but can't quite comprehend it and so I've truly had to get on with things by myself and sort my own problems out. With all that said I'm not quite as emotionally insecure or mentally disturbed as you may be thinking by now.

I've finished what we call in England High School and College which lead me up to 18 years old and not a lot to begin life with except regrets and wasted years. I blame myself for that, I'm lazy and demotivated 99% of the time and so I left college with grades that would not get me into any English university besides the fact I could never afford it anyway. I've never had a job in my life but haven't yet put a lot of effort in to finding one. In the last few years I had aspired to be an "IT guy" working somewhere somehow with computers but this kind of fell through when I didn't do so well with my initial studies. I'm not stupid or computer illiterate at all, I just couldn't bring myself to see the point in college and couldn't force myself to put effort in. Lack of motivation is the reason. I'm currently looking to go to university in Cebu or find a job and I'm willing to start immediately. My family are willing to support me as much as they can through this.

I am still very interested in computers (I've used them every day for the last 10 years at least) but my aspirations to work with them have dwindled now. It's still handy for friends and family who need my help with anything technology related (as I'm the nerdy guy of the family). I play guitar almost constantly and most enjoy heavy metal because of the technical aspects and the challenge. I know heaps of old songs such as hits from The Beatles, The Kinks and lots of others that would take forever to name. Music was an interest but I realised I was never good enough and just kept it as a hobby. I love football (or soccer to some) and I support Liverpool FC, I've played and watched football since I could walk and am fairly obsessed. I used to play amateur football but retired when I realised that I just wasn't good enough and never would be. I'm also fairly unfit and injury prone which didn't help. I can read, watch movies, enjoy television but I'd usually rather just pick up my guitar and get lost in that world.

I found the Philippines because my Dad is a retired expat who is married with a child he gave me a holiday and a great experience (it's about time!) and I'm very grateful. I was never meant to fall in love with a girl or the country but I did and my situation now is therefore a little more complicated but that's life. Despite me probably sounding like an escaped mental patient please don't be alarmed, though I'm quiet and have been described as "mysterious" I'm actually friendly and enjoy the company of friends and family A LOT more than I let on. My goals at the moment are to get back to Cebu and back to my girlfriend ASAP and live happily (for a change).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread!

My name is Bob Harding. I was born in north central Pennsylvania in a small town by the name of Wellsboro (1946). Married when I was a junior in high school. (MY oldest son will be 43 next month, oct.) I have 2 grandchildren.

I been married successfully one (1) time. I been divorced 3 times. I have 4 kids from 3 different women (the loosers).

No college.

I moved to the State of Washington in 1974 and began a life time career in real estate. I worked for a number of years for a large international company by the name of 7-Eleven Food Stores as thier development manager responsible for new store growth in the Pacific northwest, Montana, Alaska and the Philippines.

In 1982 I was assigned to market develop Manila. The company entered the market with an international Franchise in 1983 and today there are over 380 7-Elevens in the metro Manila region.

It was at this time that I fell in love the the people and culture. I was married at the time, but vowed to marry a filipina girl if the time ever was available. I made it available in 1997 after a nasty divorce #3.

I started searching in late 1997 using Hotmail Classifieds as my main way to find and meet filipina girls, usually using snail mail to communicate.

I finally met her on Hotmail Classifieds in 1998. We married in Dec 1999 after she came here on a K-1 Visa. She was a teacher in the Phils with a degree in Psycology (much needed to deal with me ha ha ha ha ha) and when she got here I suggested she go to Washington State University where she took a fast start program and earned a BS in Elementary Ed after 2 years.

We moved to the Navajo Indian Rez in 2002 where she got her first postion in the usa as a teacher. While there she earned a masters in Elem Ed from Arizona State University. We stayed on the Navajo Reservation for 5 years.

We are now on the Apache Resevation at McNary near Pinetop Az where she teaches.

We both have an interest in moving to the Philippines. I will be 62 in March and she is much younger than I am. I may take early SS and then we will move in the spring of 2008, not sure where yet.

My wife is a prayer answered and a dream come true. We will celebrate or 8th year together this Dec and each moment has been incredible.

We rarely disagree and when we do, things go silent for about a day or less while things work themselves out. We hold each other, say we are sorry and love each other. We hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can count on her and she on me. (I only wish I was 20 years younger. I sometimes already miss her knowing that I will probably not be around when she retires.)

My father was 94 when he first met Josie. He took me aside after meeting her and said, "son, you hit the jackpot this time when you married her".

When he was on his death bed and had been in a comma for two days at the age of 96, josie and I finally were able to get to him. I walked over to his side and Josie to the other side. I said, "dad, it's Bob and Josie, we came to see you".

According to my brother who had been with him when he entered the comma, that dad had not spoken or moved in 2 days.

When I told dad that It was Bob and Josie, he opened his eyes, lifted his head off the pillow turned it to the lright and said out loud in a firm voice, OH, HI JOSIE".

He laid his head back down and within 3 hours he had passed away. He loved her so much!

I can not imagine being on this planet without my filipina josie. You all know what I am talking about I am sure.

Thank you Bob Ward for thinking of this tread. GOOD JOB!!!!

I am proud to know you all and hope that friendships can be made.

By the way, I have a good friend in Spokane Wa that is real tough trouble. He is fighting cancer and is just a young man. He's got it bad and could use some prayer. His filipina wife of 9 years just gave birth to their first child. They been tryin for 9 years to have a baby. He has a great Free website about filipinas.

Here is a link to his website with Baby pics. Take the chris part off and you got his website.

www.jaderune.com/chris

I know they would love to have a prayer from anyone here so inclined.

Hope everyone is happy and well.

Warm Regards,

BobH

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my turn, im Andy im 44 and will arrive in cebu next month on my 45th birthday,

I live in New Zealands north islands west coast, on the beach. (a wilderness beach where it can blow 40 bastards, salt spray, freezing rain, and truck loads of sand, other than that its beautiful on a nice day)

My parents had great hopes for me,sending me to a private co-ed school, where i was constantly distracted by girls and went really only to eat my lunch.

After schooling i went and worked in a car factory before joining the military for some direction.

After 5yrs in there it was into the airport fire sevice, i had never been paid before to do nothing, so i stayed for 16yrs and in my spare time trained as an embalmer, and worked in a funeral home on my days off, as i had a morbid fasination with death i needed to satisfy.

Left the fire service opened my own funeral home, got it up and running and sold it.

In amongst all that i got married for 20yrs and have one daughter 18.

I now have a small construction and home renovation company here in NZ.

My future asawa lives in Dumaguete but we spend our time in Cebu, and she has a science degree in psycology from the Silliman uni. in dgte (she has me well sussed i tip ya )

My intention is to retire to Cebu before im 50, i may as well live there now as im backwards and forwards like a yoyo.

Cheers everyone :lmao:

Wow. I didn't know this incredible thread was here! I guess I'll give it a go.

I'm 36, I'm black and I'm an animator. I think there's only, like, one other in the world so that makes me unique. To make matter weird, though, the other black animator looks just like me and I always get mistaken for him at trade shows and conventions. Saw a picture of him in an animation magazine once and it was eerie.

I've been drawing since I was 5. Influenced early on by Marvel and DC Comics. My life changed, at the age of 12 or so, when I saw a TV cartoon, originally from Japan, called Robotech. That's when I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

My parents weren't big on art so they steered me down a path they thought would pay better. Engineering. I hated it and dropped out of University after 2.5 years. There was no going to school for what I do in that day. I worked a few simple odd jobs until I found that I could get close to doing what I wanted in the video game industry. Around the time the Playstation 1 came out, this industry was exploding and I finally proved I could make good money with art.

It was fun for a while, but it wasn't doing what I truly wanted, making cartoons like that show I saw so many years before. I continued on that path and even expanded to do visual FX for TV and film. I worked for a few big names like EA, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros. and it payed well, but still I hated it. If you have ever spent five minutes with a movie producer, you know why.

I have always been interested in travel, especially to Asia. I have been to China and Japan a few times. Both are big in animation, the kind I really want to do. I made my first animated short film in 2000, finally lived the dream, even if on nights and weekends and that took me on a new path, always getting closer to what I really want. The internet was another big life changer. The access to information makes so much more possible.

I always used to wonder about island living. Before traveling for myself, I always assumed the American standard that there was no better place to live than the USA. But each time I traveled away, I wished I could have stayed. Because many of these island destinations were so much like paradise, I also assumed it must cost an arm and a leg to live there, and only the super rich could ever do it. Later as I continued to study, I found out just how cheap it is to live in many island paradises.

I gace up on the rat race, knowing there's no way to win, and realized the best way to be successful is to just do what you truly want to do. The money will follow. I have my own little animation company which has been on the sidelines the past six years or so. I am now doing it full time. I probably make enough to live very well in the PI right now, but being in LA is kind of Hell at the moment.

The goal: The relocate to the PI, likely Cebu and do what I truly want to do, on my terms, and enjoy life. I finally started one half of that dream. My own original animated series. The sooner I can get to the PI, the more the dream becomes reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all,

Just a short post to say Hello and introduce myself. Im currently in Australia and looking to take a trip to the Ppns in the new year (08). It has been both interesting and entertaining reading the posts on the forum, thanks to everyone for sharing and being so welcoming.

No one expected the Spanish Inquisition.......but for those 'inquring'

* Im a 30's something male

* No (current) girlfriend or "ball-and-chain"

* Well read/educated etc which causes some people to confuse me for being British rather than Australian.

Anyone for G & T??

Theres probably loads more I could write but I figure I would be better off to answer other questions directly as I go along.

Thanks again.

J

Hello All...My name is Greg,(Grego,is my island name. :P ) I am 45...I live close to St.Louis,Mo.U.S...Married once,and have been happily divorced for 24 years...I have no kids that I know about...Dropped out of high school at 17(I do have a G.E.D) to join the Marines for 1 stint...I have worked in construction all my life......I went to the Philippines,back in 2001...I went there for 2 weeks,and ended up staying for three months,I only came back to the states,to tell everybody I know about the paradise I had found...Now after 6 very long years,I am going back in 3 weeks,with no plans to return. :mellow: ...I will be watching this board for any meeting announcements,as I would like to meet as many of you all as possible...Until then,CHEERS...

tom_shor
Hey there all,Just a short post to say Hello and introduce myself. Im currently in Australia and looking to take a trip to the Ppns in the new year (08). It has been both interesting and entertaining reading the posts on the forum, thanks to everyone for sharing and being so welcoming.No one expected the Spanish Inquisition.......but for those 'inquring'* Im a 30's something male * No (current) girlfriend or "ball-and-chain"* Well read/educated etc which causes some people to confuse me for being British rather than Australian.Anyone for G & T??Theres probably loads more I could write but I figure I would be better off to answer other questions directly as I go along.Thanks again.J
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. :P One of my favorite Monty Python lines. :mellow:
Hello All...My name is Greg,(Grego,is my island name. :D ) I am 45...I live close to St.Louis,Mo.U.S...Married once,and have been happily divorced for 24 years...I have no kids that I know about...Dropped out of high school at 17(I do have a G.E.D) to join the Marines for 1 stint...I have worked in construction all my life......I went to the Philippines,back in 2001...I went there for 2 weeks,and ended up staying for three months,I only came back to the states,to tell everybody I know about the paradise I had found...Now after 6 very long years,I am going back in 3 weeks,with no plans to return. :D ...I will be watching this board for any meeting announcements,as I would like to meet as many of you all as possible...Until then,CHEERS...
Good luck. I hope to be able to make a one way trip myself soon. :D

Hello to all,

First off....My name ain't Joe :D It's Steve but BBQ Steve just don't sound as good as BBQ Joe. I'll be 47 in 4 weeks and I hope to be living in the P.I. by the time I'm 55. I'm trying to get a few things going to make money on the INTERNET to speed-en up my retirement. The wife and I live in NY and we hate every minute of it. She was born in Leyte and we met in Bulacan 10 years ago. Been married almost 8 years and I still don't know what she sees in me....But I thank God every day for helping me find my soul mate.

I spent 15 years flying helicopters and the last 10 years doing computer crap. It pays the bills and I get to be home for dinner by 5pm every night so I'm happy. :thumbsup:

I lived near the VFW in Angeles for a year back in 99 but I can't see living there in my "glory" years. I have not made it down to Cebu but I will go there on my next trip and see if its for me.

Joe

I mean Steve

Edited by BBQ Joe

Quite a thread....very impressive! ok, I will open up a lil. I been tapping into this site for a while now, and the info i have been able to acquire has been priceless. i thank you all for your insight and wonderful suggestions.

i work in Iraq as a U.S. govt contractor where filipinos do all the cooking. and do it well i might add. anyways, i had been going to thailand, and having a blast, but our filipino cooks kept telling me to try their country, that the people are nice, speak good english (unlike thais), and of course, its beautiful there. and...nice beaches. Which sold me on the idea...me born and raised in southern california where my one and only ex-wife of 25 years still lives. anyways...i went to manila and then Cebu and of course fell in love with the place, the people, the filipinas, the beer, the parties, the doors being opened for you everywhere you go, the filipinas....oh wait, did i say that again? so in the year i have vacationed there every 4 months, i have purchased a house on leased land, and am about to commit to a restaurant in panagsama beach, moalboal, cebu. i have researched it since aug 06, and i feel great about it. I am having a problem deciding which beautiful girl i want to settle down with, so i am taking the backseat approach. :crack-up::blink: i have great respect for all the women here, and I am not being a ' love em and leave ' idiot. (dont need to get in trouble!)

i love cebu, and hopefully within 2 years, I can live there permenantly, not just part time.

So if any of you go to moalboal, panagsama beach for some killer diving, stop by and see me at the Roxy.

take care, keep this going huh.......Chris

Hello to everyone. I am not good at this posting thing. I am so much more of a lurker then a poster. This is the first site I found about the PI when I was looking for cheap living and retirement about 4 yeatrs ago. I was looking for my father who had retired after 40 years as a nurse. I had never even heard of Cebu before. My father had a room mate for several years that was from the PI and would talk about it every once in a while. Over the years I got addicted to the food I get chicken adobo by the party tray. What started as an information gathering exercise has turned into a real interest. I have stared at the pages on living in cebu and a few other sites hundreds of times wondering if I could live that life. I have read most of the yahoo groups and found most of it informative. I think I have posted only 4 to 5 times in the last couple of years.

Age - I just turned 32 as for body type I would put a one legged leper to shame. Well maybe not all lepers but at least some and only

if yous quint when you look at me.

Not Married - I may only have 2 cents to my name but it is my two cents. No children.

Education- About 128 college units but only a two year degree. Never had the drive to finish. Did not know what to do with my life.

Jobs - Started working at the tender age of 20 (lazy or what). Worked as a security guard and door man for a few years. I can hold

up a wall or walk in a circle with the best of them. Ever wonder what a security guard does to entertain himself as he walks

around in a circle for 8 to 16 hours a day in a parking lot or a construction site. In my case and a few others I knew the answer

is running a song you like over and over in your head, math problems, favorite stories, recent conversations, and other such

things. When I got tired of the security work I applied for the military passed the written test with no problems but hit a snag

when it came time to be weighed. I had never been a skinny person and the amount of weight I would of had to of lose made it

impossable in my mind. My weight had always gone up never down. I have only ever been to one buffet that I have gone away

hungry from in my entire life. The food was just to nasty and raw. In short 5 to 6 plates heaping with food was the norm. So

extreme diet and exercise was out. I went to work at a ranch with a school. I hear the roosters before the sun even comes up

every day I work. I also learned not to step to close to the lamas or there charges those animals are very protective and can

spit at a moving target with great skill. I like my job but hate when some of the animals get loose and you have to chase them

for miles.

Hobbies - I spend a lot of time on the internet 4 plus hours a day. Love role playing games, comic books, Anime, and the Scifi

channel. If it is geeky I am there. I like to walk and light bicycle.

Plans - I want to see if I could live in Cebu. I have set up accomidations with an expat with no air conditioning for my first trip in

january. This is cool since I was looking for a bed spacer or a nippa hut. I want to know if I can live like a native as my budget

would not allow me to live in a subdivision if I eventually chose to retire there in a few years. I want to do the ratsky and boat

trip thing. I also hope to open a peso bank account as dollar exchange keeps falling and look at some local farm land for lease

as Kano no own land. I prefer country over big city. I will look for a cook to teach me how to cook some of my favorite fillipino

food dishes. I was also thinking about the free cebano language class as I would prefer to learn at least pigeon Cebano.

With Regards and Best Wishes

Eric from California

• 2 weeks later...
What a great thread!

My name is Bob Harding. I was born in north central Pennsylvania in a small town by the name of Wellsboro (1946). Married when I was a junior in high school. (MY oldest son will be 43 next month, oct.) I have 2 grandchildren.

I been married successfully one (1) time. I been divorced 3 times. I have 4 kids from 3 different women (the loosers).

No college.

I moved to the State of Washington in 1974 and began a life time career in real estate. I worked for a number of years for a large international company by the name of 7-Eleven Food Stores as thier development manager responsible for new store growth in the Pacific northwest, Montana, Alaska and the Philippines.

In 1982 I was assigned to market develop Manila. The company entered the market with an international Franchise in 1983 and today there are over 380 7-Elevens in the metro Manila region.

It was at this time that I fell in love the the people and culture. I was married at the time, but vowed to marry a filipina girl if the time ever was available. I made it available in 1997 after a nasty divorce #3.

I started searching in late 1997 using Hotmail Classifieds as my main way to find and meet filipina girls, usually using snail mail to communicate.

I finally met her on Hotmail Classifieds in 1998. We married in Dec 1999 after she came here on a K-1 Visa. She was a teacher in the Phils with a degree in Psycology (much needed to deal with me ha ha ha ha ha) and when she got here I suggested she go to Washington State University where she took a fast start program and earned a BS in Elementary Ed after 2 years.

We moved to the Navajo Indian Rez in 2002 where she got her first postion in the usa as a teacher. While there she earned a masters in Elem Ed from Arizona State University. We stayed on the Navajo Reservation for 5 years.

We are now on the Apache Resevation at McNary near Pinetop Az where she teaches.

We both have an interest in moving to the Philippines. I will be 62 in March and she is much younger than I am. I may take early SS and then we will move in the spring of 2008, not sure where yet.

My wife is a prayer answered and a dream come true. We will celebrate or 8th year together this Dec and each moment has been incredible.

We rarely disagree and when we do, things go silent for about a day or less while things work themselves out. We hold each other, say we are sorry and love each other. We hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can count on her and she on me. (I only wish I was 20 years younger. I sometimes already miss her knowing that I will probably not be around when she retires.)

My father was 94 when he first met Josie. He took me aside after meeting her and said, "son, you hit the jackpot this time when you married her".

When he was on his death bed and had been in a comma for two days at the age of 96, josie and I finally were able to get to him. I walked over to his side and Josie to the other side. I said, "dad, it's Bob and Josie, we came to see you".

According to my brother who had been with him when he entered the comma, that dad had not spoken or moved in 2 days.

When I told dad that It was Bob and Josie, he opened his eyes, lifted his head off the pillow turned it to the lright and said out loud in a firm voice, OH, HI JOSIE".

He laid his head back down and within 3 hours he had passed away. He loved her so much!

I can not imagine being on this planet without my filipina josie. You all know what I am talking about I am sure.

Thank you Bob Ward for thinking of this tread. GOOD JOB!!!!

I am proud to know you all and hope that friendships can be made.

By the way, I have a good friend in Spokane Wa that is real tough trouble. He is fighting cancer and is just a young man. He's got it bad and could use some prayer. His filipina wife of 9 years just gave birth to their first child. They been tryin for 9 years to have a baby. He has a great Free website about filipinas.

Here is a link to his website with Baby pics. Take the chris part off and you got his website.

www.jaderune.com/chris

I know they would love to have a prayer from anyone here so inclined.

Hope everyone is happy and well.

Warm Regards,

BobH

Great story...BubH thanks for sharing! BobW you're indeed a genius!

SHhhhhhh! You will spoil my persona of dim witted indifference. Thanks daisey, I like this thread too!