Meet Your Forum Neighbors

Bob Ward
Right, seems to be time for me to introduce myself.

I'm very new to the forum, but already feel at home here with all the hours I have spent, soaking in the wealth of knowledge posted.

This site has been super as preparation for my expected move to Cebu in October, and I would like to thank all of you for sharing your experiences. Both the nutty, the gung-ho gunslingers, the serious, the over serious, the positive, the negative, the forum trolls and the humorous. You have all been a great asset.

My short bio goes:

Name's Steve.

I'm 40 fast approaching 20 (yaikes, first time I actually write the big Four-O) :shocked:

I have a son aged 16, from a former relationship. My nr 1 priority in life!

Married with Lone, aged 46.... or is it 47? ...Damn, better not let her see this post :( . A close 2nd priority in my life.

We're all Danes, living in Denmark.

Have mainly worked as Service Manager in the IT industry.

My interests and hobbies are varied. Here are some of them:

> I definitely spend too much time in front of the pc. If I'm more than 5 mins away from instant internet access, I start to get agitated. Oddly enough, this is my first post in a public forum and I have never been into online chatting. I do however play online games. Primarily for escapism, but also to socialize with friends and former colleagues.

> A good book and a comfortable chair.

> If my job is interesting and challenging, I'm a workaholic and the lines between work and free-time gets diffuse. If it bores me, I'm super lazy.

> Took up scuba diving on a visit to Phili' in Feb' this year, and I'm hooked.

> Started building a reef tank into a wall here at home, the week before the option to move to Phili' came up. Lousy timing, but seems to be a new hobby. Something I could be tempted to take up again, once I'm in Cebu.

> Experiencing different cultures.

> Philosophy, mostly eastern and new-age.

> Arms, edged weapons and pretty much everything related to the armed services. (yeah, goes well with my interest in new-age) :wacko:

My Cebu future:

Planning to move to Cebu in October, to join my very good friend who is in the process of moving his operations to Cebu. (Web focused IT business). My wife will join me Feb

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Ward

• tom_shor

• Lee

• james

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome Steve!! Thank you for sharing. I ask that you take the house hunting to another thread as this one is for bios only. Hope all goes well for you and yours. I know a good person who can help you on the real estate search. email me at [email protected] I have no vested interest at this time with said person. He's just a good guy!

Thanks a mill' Bob,

Yup, got it, I'll open a househunting thread in the appropriate forum. The inclusion of it here was just me rambling on at 3 am here in DK.

/Steve

I guess I should finally get around to introducing myself since Bob Ward had the great insight to start this thread in the first place, so that many of us can sort of get to know each other and maybe better understand each other.

I am an American and my wife is a Filipina. I am 60 years young and retired for the last few years and the little lady is now 40 (but looks 30 IMHO) and she is from Cebu, Cagayan de Oro, and Bukidnon Mindanao and has family in Luzon, Cebu and all over Mindanao. We have been married 14 years now (how has she ever put up with me that long?) and have known each other over 17 years (holy cow, did I say 17 years?) and we have been going back and forth to the Philippines since meeting in person. Over the early years, we had spent very long vacations in the Philippines most years as well as more or less lived part time in Cagayan de Oro City and now in Cebu City where we own some condos for the last couple of years. When we are not in the Philippines, we live in Florida USA, that is, when we are not traveling.

I have been a jack of many trades during my life since I started working when I was 13 and none of which I am probably a master of and none of the above makes me an expert on life, the Philippines, or Cebu when compared to some of the guys who live there full time, but it surely gives me a different prospective since I have quite a bit of days in country when compared to some who do live there full time and have watched things change over the years while we have stayed long periods both in cities and some of the provinces of Mindanao, Cebu and Luzon.

We both love Cebu and have chosen it over the rest of the Philippines because of its central location as well as having most things a person could want when compared to many other locations in the Philippines, yet it is still not so big that you can't drive an hour or two out of town and enjoy the province life.

I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up or where I want to live full time but Cebu seems to be out front along with Cagayan de Oro close behind. Cagayan de Oro is the city of golden friendship and it has earned that reputation in my book but it is also on top of Mindanao and I seem to feel that Cebu has more of a chance for growth because Mindanao is always in the news relating to fighting. Cagayan de Oro seems to be safe enough and it is definitely a slower way of life than Cebu, so maybe we can share time in both places. Time will tell and we will be making that decision within the next couple of years when I get to 62 and start collecting my social security.

Hope to meet many of you in person. ;)

Edited by Mr. Lee

Hello,

My name is John, I am 30 years old (dude) and I live in Montana at the moment. I am a freelance web developer and I will be using the mobile nature of the business to travel around the world. My plans are to get an apartment in the Philippines (near Cebu though not sure where,) travel around Asia and then recharge my batteries back "home" in the Phils between trips.

Why the Philippines? I have an older family member living in the Philippines and I am hoping he can help ease me into a new culture before I go wild with my travels. I may also move close to him so that we can keep an eye over each others "stuff" while the the other is away. I am also attracted by the welcome stance towards foreigners. Visa's for long term tourist stays are much easier to deal with in the Philippines than they are in Thailand or China.

Unlike some, I am not moving to the Philippines to find a wife or a girlfriend (though I have no judgment for those who do.) I am young and I generally don't have a lot of problems getting dates so one destination is just as good as another in that respect. If I were forced to pick an area of the world to choose a wife from, I would head to South America because my fetish is more for Latina's than Filipina's. Those shaking booties are just mesmerizing to me, something that Asians are generally not known for. ;)

That said, I have been corresponding with many Filipina's on dating websites. Though I will likely not persue any of them, I feel that I have already learned a great deal from these chats and emails. I realize these women don't accurately represent all Filipina's but they do represent one element that I will likely be up against. Lucky for me the scammers are not very good at their jobs.

Why Asia then? I feel that Asia is the most exciting place on the planet. For web professionals, Asia is quite possibly provides a modern day gold rush. The economies of Asia are quickly growing and opportunities are wide open. I have the chance to move to Asia and I have no attachments in the U.S. holding me down. The opportunity is here, so I am taking it.

My interest in the Cebu forums is that I believe it is one of the better forums that I have found for expats in the Philippines. I am a sucker for forums and there are several of which I am a prolific contributor (though some appreciate my "contributions" more than others.

As others have noticed, I have taken a special interest to the romance section of the forum. And why not? Romance is an important topic in the Philippines and a big reason why many of the expats are there in the first place. Why else would expats lower their standard of living by moving to one of the poorest nations in Asia? Cheaper living can be found in the U.S. along with all the great comforts. Granted, some people do go for other reasons, but if Philippine expats had their own flag, there would likely be a Filipina stitched into it.

Some have asked why I sound so "authoritative" when discussing women, relationship and the Philippines. The truth is that I have never been married, I have no kids and the only foreign countries I have been to are all in North America and the Carribean. With such little experience in these areas I couldn't possibly know much about them, but I live in a huge complex world full of things I don't understand and I still manage to survive.

I am not different than anyone else in that regard. The people, places and things around us are all complex beyond our ability to fully understand them. The best we can do to understand the world around us is to leverage our experience, use the models that we have developed (sometimes the seemingly complex is really the very simple with changed variables) and constantly question the world around us. These tools are available to all of us yet still there are some who were born suckers and others who seem to be right at home in nearly any situation.

If I sound authoritative (doesn't mean I am right,) then that is because I feel I have to think that way always. I have to be confident in my assessment of the world around me and that I am making the right decisions. I only get one shot at this. Thankfully this road has been traveled many times by others and many truths are universal.

--

John

This is off-topic, but John, you are not making friends here very fast.

Who the hell are you to say we are lowering our standards to move here? Have you even been here? Have you learned anything about the culture, the country, or these people? Keep making statements like that, and the Filipinos on this forum will take you apart. I will be happy to let them do so. Of course, they may be too humble to go after even someone like you. Of course, you are beneath them.

You have a long way to go, and much, much to learn.

Oh, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance. I think you have them confused.

John, thank you for your intro, I can tell you that you have a lot to learn about expats and why they are there in the Philippines. There are many there because of the slower way of life, and there are many there because it is a lot less expensive overall to live and they want to live that way, and then there are guys like me who are married to Filipinas and want to make them happy and are looking for a simpler retirement life and just fell in love with the country and it people as well as a woman, and yet still there are others who have no choice and have to be there because their countries have made it impossible for them to live the retirement dream and then there are still others who love just being the center off attention and being put on a pedestal and there are others who are there for just the women and there are others who just hate their own countries and what they have become, and there are others who are there for the ability to drink and party and not worry about much else but having fun, and I guess it could go on and on but I will let others speak for themselves.

John, I appreciate you wanting to seem like you know it all but the smartest person in the world can still learn from others who have more experience. I have been back and forth to the Philippines and I have taught many people things about the Philippines, but I still continue to learn from almost everyone I meet along the way because I am open to learning and if you put yourself in such a position as an authority on something, then you will never learn the many things people who have experienced more can teach you.

Now as for being attracted to Latin ladies, I too had been attracted to Latin ladies and had dated many but I found that Filipinas had the good qualities of Latin ladies without some of the bad qualities I had found the ones I dated had, and Filipinas also have the easy going qualities of Asian culture, so it you love Latin's then IMHO you are going to go bananas over Filipinas once you find a great one and there are many who are not scammers and all you have to do is weed them out.

Good luck in PI

This is off-topic, but John, you are not making friends here very fast.

Who the hell are you to say we are lowering our standards to move here? Have you even been here? Have you learned anything about the culture, the country, or these people? Keep making statements like that, and the Filipinos on this forum will take you apart. I will be happy to let them do so. Of course, they may be too humble to go after even someone like you. Of course, you are beneath them.

You have a long way to go, and much, much to learn.

Oh, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance. I think you have them confused.

Do not forget that you are an old man, you have to think about your heart. I do not think he meant anything bad with what he wrote.

Remember:

Bob Ward

OK can't we all just get along.

First and last warning! LOLOLOLOLOL

Paul, don't hit me man, I just could not help it because I can read your response before you write it. IF you choose to stoop that low?

FYI - I will be cleaning all the OT stuff out of this thread soon.

Do not forget that you are an old man, you have to think about your heart. I do not think he meant anything bad with what he wrote.

Remember:

First, do not delete anything out of this particular thread, please. off-topic or otherwise. I would like to keep this one as is.

Oh, I am 42, Harry. You are a better man than I, sir. I respect that.

I just take issue when a new, young guy, who thinks he has all the answers, comes here with his tone.

First, do not delete anything out of this particular thread, please. off-topic or otherwise. I would like to keep this one as is.

Oh, I am 42, Harry. You are a better man than I, sir. I respect that.

I just take issue when a new, young guy, who thinks he has all the answers, comes here with his tone.

42! That

ancienrocka

I hate to be the one to end a good "barney" but I will take the thread back to it's original subject and introduce myself to those of you who have not yet met me.

My real name is Paul and I was born in Reading in the U.K. 61 years ago. I went to London University to study law not because I had any interest in the subject but because my best mate had applied to go there - unfortunately he didn't get accepted so I found myself in what was the "centre of the universe" in the swinging sixties surrounded by mini skirted girls, listening to the sounds of the rejuvenated British music scene and exposed to the evils of "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll". Needless to say, with all these distractions I only just scraped through my course, coming out with a very low level degree.

One thing I knew for certain - I hated law and could see nothing worse than spending my life making money out of other people's greed and misery - sorry to any current lawyers out there, I'm sure you are the exception to the rule! My whole working life has been centred in and around sales. marketing and sales management, selling such varied products as office equipment, newspapers, cakes, bread, hardware ( not computers ) and even people - ( no I wasn't a pimp or a white slave trader, I worked for a recruitment agency! ).

I married my first wife in 1975, had 2 beautiful daughters and lived reasonably happily for 17 years until she had an affair then took me to the cleaners, with the help of a tricky lawyer, during the financial settlement of the divorce. We had moved to Australia in 1983 and lived in Perth where I met my second wife, an Australian, who I married in 1995.

Talk about "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" - this was a disaster from the start and, although we made it last legally until last year, it was a marriage in name only. I am still fighting her claim to take everything we had together in Melbourne - currently I live on a small pension from the UK but hope to "win" some of my Australian possessions in the upcoming court case - bloody lawyers again!

I got on line last year and, without the vast amount of knowledge I have gleened from this site in the short time I have been a member, lost a small fortune to a very clever scammer. I came to Cebu late 2007 to try to get some of my money back and to see the country I had fallen in love with via my computer. The rest is history - I met and fell in love with the "extraordinary Elsa", a girl who had become a good friend over my months online, but whom I had never considered a candidate for my long term love as she was so much younger than me. Since then we have grown together and plan to get married later this year - I will need some to you there on my side of the church to even things up a bit as she is from a fairly large family.

My name on this site is "ancienrocka" and my number one passion in life is my music - I am a crap guitarist, even worse keyboard player, average singer but entertaining an audience is second nature to me. I been in bands, mainly as front man/singer since I was 11 years old and was still performing regularly in Australia with a band called "Arthur Ritis and the Stiffs" until I left Oz for ever in March this year. I was very lucky that I lived in the U.K. during the sixties when British music was at its zenith - the group I was with then called The Dominoes", were a good journeyman band often hired as the warm up/support act when the big name bands visited our town. Supported bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Searchers, The Hollies, John Lee Hooker, etc - my claim to fame is that I have played with Pink Floyd - long story! I would like to get an ex-pat band together here for the occasional performance - anyone interested PM me.

My other interests are snow skiing - think that might be over for now - american football and rugby union.

Thanks Bob for the thread and thanks to all the rest of you for making the site so interesting.

Romance is an important topic in the Philippines and a big reason why many of the expats are there in the first place. Why else would expats lower their standard of living by moving to one of the poorest nations in Asia? Cheaper living can be found in the U.S. along with all the great comforts. Granted, some people do go for other reasons, but if Philippine expats had their own flag, there would likely be a Filipina stitched into it.

My goodness, you really do need to sharpen your diplomacy skills. Firstly not all ex-pats are American - and I don't why you presume they should be. Secondly, why do you assume that we who live here have lowered our standard of living? Have you considered that, maybe, we enjoy a far better life here - all things considered - than we did in our native countries? No, I didn't think so. And I - and many Filipinos/Filipinas will - take great exception to your idea of how an ex-pat's flag might look. That is insulting to our hosts and would merely reinforce the xenophobic attitudes expressed by some in the current Administration.

Some have asked why I sound so "authoritative" when discussing women, relationship and the Philippines. The truth is that I have never been married, I have no kids and the only foreign countries I have been to are all in North America and the Carribean. With such little experience in these areas I couldn't possibly know much about them, but I live in a huge complex world full of things I don't understand and I still manage to survive.

Thank you for that clarification, I know now to ignore your posts on that particular topic.

Mark

Alan S

Nice to see plenty of new members here.

Hi Paul. Heck, I have probably seen you on stage as I spent much of my time seeing various groups in that era. (And a bit earlier, as I have a few years on you!)

Welcome.