Cebu Rapidly Becoming Less Safe ?

tom_shor
the only difference between US and the poor of the philippines is most of us were born in countries that if a person wants to work he can and he is not limited on how much he can earn... this wisdom comes from me a high school drop out who started my own company because no one would hire me...

Yes a big part of the problem is lack of opportunity. As a result many have given up trying. A major change in the system is probably the only hope of ever fixing this

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• james

• smokey

• Bob Ward

tom_shor
Yes sir I agree. I grew up VERY poor and worked my way up the ladder on my own. I lived on my own since I was 13, believe it or not.

BTW - when I referred to the abuse of a food stamp program here, I was referring mostly to the organization that would administer it.

You are not wrong about that. Not to mention counterfitting and any other scam they can think of.

Part of the problem here is even with an education it is difficult to find a decent job. Look at the simple jobs here that require a college degree.

Without an education there is almost no hope. That's why many who can go overseas. Sometimes falling prey to shady operators. But that is another topic.

what i don't understand is instead of exporting the people to earn money and send it back create jobs.. look at the SRP the fighting just goes on and on by now the SRP should be completely built up and there should be plans on starting another SRP... This is by far the most POWER hungry place on earth.... JOBS JOBS give them jobs.. let the government build factories and give jobs not to make a profit but to just make a job... I heard one time that some big shot was heard saying ... The best way to control people is to keep them hungry

That's what the Czar thought.

When I was a kid, you could leave your doors unlocked, knowing that nobody would go in while you were out. Such things as garden sheds rarely had locks, and the contents were perfectly safe.

My early motorbikes had ignition keys that were similar to a screwdriver blade, and the latter could be used to start them. Yours or anyone else

make a friend of your local policeman, then ask his advice, he will help his friend out and you will get the problem solving with no hassle and very little effort, you might even gain some inside knowledge of the weird and wonderful ways of the local force

James

tom_shor
make a friend of your local policeman, then ask his advice, he will help his friend out and you will get the problem solving with no hassle and very little effort, you might even gain some inside knowledge of the weird and wonderful ways of the local force

James

Yes having some cops on your side here never hurts. Sometimes they will take care of the problem for you.

Alan S

That is OK, as long as the local police isnt the problem.

if local police are the problem, get a friend further up the chain, its an easy solution and they will soon have your area running sweet for you,

James

Start carrying a bolo. If you can get your hands on a crow bar, discuise it as an unbrella and use it as a leg-breaker in those situations.

That's a joke... maybe you could just tell then you have a bolo. The olther day, I locked myself out of the room, so they gave me a butcher knife to cut through the door... and then I started walking around with it, the guys were literally hitting the floor taking cover.. like they were being ambushed with gernades.

But nothing like that happens in Dumaguete. The beggars are gentile. (city of gentile people). I plan on marrying a Bajao remember? So when I do... it will instantly change things. All the beggars will love Ameiricans.. they will say, HI! are you an American? my 3rd cousin's friend's sister is married to an American!

CaptainJackson
maybe you could just tell then you have a bolo. The olther day, I locked myself out of the room, so they gave me a butcher knife to cut through the door... and then I started walking around with it, the guys were literally hitting the floor taking cover.. like they were being ambushed with gernades.

Dude, that is not cool........

You had better be careful. Someone might see all the people hitting the floor and not realize what is happening, see you standing there with a knife, and decide to neutralize the threat, YOU.

Yeah breaking their legs with a violent swing of a crow bar.. might get you in trouble... but it will sure get the message accross... No that's a joke. I don't want to get in gtrouble... Filipinos are afraid of confrontation. They will not normally call your bluff if you make it clear that YOU are the alpha-male. It works with dogs...

Oh the butcher knife thing was just in my boarding house. I didn't go outside. I appologise if my joke sounds like bad taste...

In Filipino Literature, we had to read a voilent comic book which was about a guy who went on a killing rampage. He killed the mayor.. he killed some gays.. and an American.. and he also killed a guy who was smoking in public.

just being sensible safe and thinking ahead will save you so much hassle, common sense can save your life, Crewsafe has posted many ideas on safety here, they are wise guidelines to follow.

James

tom_shor
just being sensible safe and thinking ahead will save you so much hassle, common sense can save your life, Crewsafe has posted many ideas on safety here, they are wise guidelines to follow.

James

That's always good advice wherever you go. Your brain should be your first line of defense. If you avoid the situation you don't have to figure out how to get out of it.

That's always good advice wherever you go. Your brain should be your first line of defense. If you avoid the situation you don't have to figure out how to get out of it.

The very reason sometimes I just don't want to use my brain..makes me tired and cautious of everything... :blink:

Bob Ward

James

Yeah, I wish Crewsafe would come back, in a milder form, but that's not him I think. He was very pragmatic. I would have liked to know the man and Marine behind the gruff exterior.

well Bob we can only hope, I did not even realise he had gone anywhere

Now I see I have not read his posts in ages

James