Cebu Rapidly Becoming Less Safe ?

Ok, I have 7 years of experience in Cebu, and for the first 6 years never, ever

had a problem anytime day or night.

Within the last year or less, I see that the beggars are becoming much more

aggressive and confrontational.

Last night, about 9pm, in front of Robinsons, I was surrounded by 3 teen boys

grabbing at my pockets. My shouting at them and pushing them away

only had the effect of them laughing and running away.

It used to be that I only had to say ayaw (don't), and they would leave me alone.

A beggar asking or saying anything doesn't really bother me. I just walk away.

But, the beggars are getting more physically aggresive by either grabbing you,

or you catch them with their hand in your pocket.

Over the past few months I have had to pull many beggars hands out of my pockets

or away from any packages I am carrying.

The common demoninator seems to be teen boys that appear to be high on shabu

or Rugby (glue).

Of course, there is the Fuente police station just meters away, but I hate to disturb

their card games or naps. I guess I could grab one of the kids and drag him to the

police station, but would the police even do anything ?

The cynic in me says that I might even get charged for abusing the kid by dragging

him to the station.

I enjoy walking and shopping midtown, and I prefer walking in the evening since

it is not as hot.

I have a buddy that is my neighbor, and he has been experiencing the same confrontational

and aggressive teens also. My buddy and I can work well as a team chasing off the thiefs,

but we are not always walking Fuente on the same nights.

So, what to do ? Any suggestions ? Mace has occured to me, but what are the consequeces

of me (a foreigner) macing these teens ?

Of course I can stop walking Fuente in the evenings, but I really enjoy and need the exercise,

and it does disturb me that I would have to stop an activity that I enjoy.

It was mentioned in another thread that we, as guests in the Phils, should somehow band together

to take care of our concerns. This is one of those types of situations that if others here are also having the same problems, and that if we as a group could talk with the right politician, we might be able to take care of a problem.

Fuente is such a popular area, but has a police station that does absolutely nothing

to clear the area of beggars and thieves. I never see the police walking the area , I only see

them sleeping when I walk past their station.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tom_shor

• james

• smokey

• Bob Ward

CaptainJackson
Of course, there is the Fuente police station just meters away, but I hate to disturb

their card games or naps. I guess I could grab one of the kids and drag him to the

police station, but would the police even do anything ?

The cynic in me says that I might even get charged for abusing the kid by dragging

him to the station.

Fuente is such a popular area, but has a police station that does absolutely nothing

to clear the area of beggars and thieves. I never see the police walking the area , I only see

You are correct. I remember reading a story about just such an occurance. The police told the Expat to get along on his way and they would handle the kid. The expat walked off and looked back from around the corner, and the cops just told the kid to take off.

I wouldn't reccomend using mace, or pepper spray either. I think the best thing you could do is use the same tactics as these kids do. Walk in groups of two or three after dark. I don't think they will reach for your packages or pockets when you are not alone.

Of course you could always chase them, grab one and beat him, but again, I believe this would only bring you far more trouble than it is worth.

Sorry to hear about the harrassment you are facing.

smokey

There is a web site called city of cebu and a forum and you can address the mayor and i have on a few threads received a reply .... its worth a shot... dont froget the mayor was raised in Los Angeles and so he may understand more then others... worth a shot

Mailman
It was mentioned in another thread that we, as guests in the Phils, should somehow band together

to take care of our concerns. This is one of those types of situations that if others here are also having the same problems, and that if we as a group could talk with the right politician, we might be able to take care of a problem.

Well, Cebu got some global positive attention recently. Why not do the same thing for these negative issues?

Video tape it, post it on YouTube, and place as many links to it as you can. :crack-up:

Lately, they seem to be very sensitive about certain topics when it comes to creating a 'wholesome' family atmosphere for tourists. Might work.

There is a web site called city of cebu and a forum and you can address the mayor and i have on a few threads received a reply .... its worth a shot... dont froget the mayor was raised in Los Angeles and so he may understand more then others... worth a shot

Here's the link to the site:

http://cityhall.cebucity.gov.ph/forum/

Thanks for the suggestions and link guys !

I had the same problem today just off Fuente closer to Capitol. The kid grabbed my arm, and when I told him to leave me alone he told me I was a mother ######. That usually does something to me. And with a kind of angry look on my face I followed him down the street for a about a 100 meters. The first few meters he was laughing, but when I continued walking towards him not showing signs of backing off, his smile and laughter disappeared rather quickly. He obviously didnt like the situation that much.

I did have my wife and two kids with me so I didnt bother chasing him any further though.

I remember a kid in Salinas Drive doing much the same thing with me. I was then on my own and with a couple of beers inside, so I followed that kid for a much further distance. He kind of choked on his silly laughts at me.

Of course the point is not to beat him up. Just follow him down the street a couple of hundred meters. Dont run, just looked real pissed and follow him and he is not really certain how to handle the situation anymore. It really makes them uncomfortable.

tom_shor
I had the same problem today just off Fuente closer to Capitol. The kid grabbed my arm, and when I told him to leave me alone he told me I was a mother ######. That usually does something to me. And with a kind of angry look on my face I followed him down the street for a about a 100 meters. The first few meters he was laughing, but when I continued walking towards him not showing signs of backing off, his smile and laughter disappeared rather quickly. He obviously didnt like the situation that much.

I did have my wife and two kids with me so I didnt bother chasing him any further though.

I remember a kid in Salinas Drive doing much the same thing with me. I was then on my own and with a couple of beers inside, so I followed that kid for a much further distance. He kind of choked on his silly laughts at me.

Of course the point is not to beat him up. Just follow him down the street a couple of hundred meters. Dont run, just looked real pissed and follow him and he is not really certain how to handle the situation anymore. It really makes them uncomfortable.

The last one said that to me I told him yes I ###### your mother for 20 Piso. He didn't seem to thank that was too funny either. But I like your idea as long as a bunch of his friends don't jump you.

smokey
I know this ordinance has been brought up before on these boards, but it looks like it is currently getting some of the spotlight:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/...ng.of.alms.html

We can only hope it will do some good.

its very hard to outlaw poverty ..... i guess if we are lucky the poor that beg on the streets will just crawl into a hole and then we wont have to see them as we drive the city streets on the way to dinner or a shopping session at ayala.. why do they lower themselves to beg in the streets??? you would think it would embarrass them to admit they have no job and no food... so tacky maybe with the vat money they could start a welfare system , and give food stamps ... but then that would be admitting the poor exist... yea better to just outlaw them..... anyway if they had a food stamp program here that would cut into the next big streetlight purchase..

Bob Ward
its very hard to outlaw poverty ..... i guess if we are lucky the poor that beg on the streets will just crawl into a hole and then we wont have to see them as we drive the city streets on the way to dinner or a shopping session at ayala.. why do they lower themselves to beg in the streets??? you would think it would embarrass them to admit they have no job and no food... so tacky maybe with the vat money they could start a welfare system , and give food stamps ... but then that would be admitting the poor exist... yea better to just outlaw them..... anyway if they had a food stamp program here that would cut into the next big streetlight purchase..

Lord I can't immagine how badly a food stamp program would be abused here. It's very bad in the US. But it is truly unnerving to see a family of four sleeping on the sidewalk on cardboard. Occasionally, when they are sleeping, I will wad up a P50 note and toss it near the mother. Makes me feel a bit better and sice they are asleep, no hassles the next day.

smokey
Lord I can't immagine how badly a food stamp program would be abused here. It's very bad in the US. But it is truly unnerving to see a family of four sleeping on the sidewalk on cardboard. Occasionally, when they are sleeping, I will wad up a P50 note and toss it near the mother. Makes me feel a bit better and sice they are asleep, no hassles the next day.

the only difference between US and the poor of the philippines is most of us were born in countries that if a person wants to work he can and he is not limited on how much he can earn... this wisdom comes from me a high school drop out who started my own company because no one would hire me...

Bob Ward
the only difference between US and the poor of the philippines is most of us were born in countries that if a person wants to work he can and he is not limited on how much he can earn... this wisdom comes from me a high school drop out who started my own company because no one would hire me...

Yes sir I agree. I grew up VERY poor and worked my way up the ladder on my own. I lived on my own since I was 13, believe it or not.

BTW - when I referred to the abuse of a food stamp program here, I was referring mostly to the organization that would administer it.

smokey
Yes sir I agree. I grew up VERY poor and worked my way up the ladder on my own. I lived om my own since I was 13, believe it or not.

BTW - when I referred to the abuse of a food stamp program here, I was referring mostly to the organization that would administer it.

what i don't understand is instead of exporting the people to earn money and send it back create jobs.. look at the SRP the fighting just goes on and on by now the SRP should be completely built up and there should be plans on starting another SRP... This is by far the most POWER hungry place on earth.... JOBS JOBS give them jobs.. let the government build factories and give jobs not to make a profit but to just make a job... I heard one time that some big shot was heard saying ... The best way to control people is to keep them hungry

Alan S

When I was a kid, you could leave your doors unlocked, knowing that nobody would go in while you were out. Such things as garden sheds rarely had locks, and the contents were perfectly safe.

My early motorbikes had ignition keys that were similar to a screwdriver blade, and the latter could be used to start them. Yours or anyone else