Sign in to follow this  
GoneAsiatic

Anyone Order From This Co.?

GoneAsiatic

Just curious if anyone had tried to order Cebuano CDs or DVDs from this company: www.filipinolanguages.com

I tried twice with two different credit cards (both good) and received little or no response as to why my order was not processed.

The media they offer looks good on the website, but it is tricky dealing with a company who has no known reputation.

Tatoosh
The media they offer looks good on the website, but it is tricky dealing with a company who has no known reputation.

I have not done business with them, but you are right, the software looks interesting. I may give it a try myself if it sorts out for you. They have an email, but you said "little or no response". Just an automated reply when you send them an email? If they don't contact you it may be a small operation and the individuals are on vacation or it may simply be poorly run. That happens in the US too.

GoneAsiatic
I have not done business with them, but you are right, the software looks interesting. I may give it a try myself if it sorts out for you. They have an email, but you said "little or no response". Just an automated reply when you send them an email? If they don't contact you it may be a small operation and the individuals are on vacation or it may simply be poorly run. That happens in the US too.

Tatooish, I did get a personal reply from a Jim Dexter after suggesting I might have been using a debit card (it was not). After I tried a second card, I just received an automated response.

A reply to Jim's personal email inquiring about my second card went unanswered. I may try again; if anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Tatoosh
Tatooish, I did get a personal reply from a Jim Dexter after suggesting I might have been using a debit card (it was not). After I tried a second card, I just received an automated response.

A reply to Jim's personal email inquiring about my second card went unanswered. I may try again; if anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Thanks for the info. I have had credit cards declined for all sorts of reasons. I didn't include "Ave" in my old address, I didn't put my middle initial in on the name blank. They are very tight about that stuff, as you probably know. While that might explain a finicky credit card process, it doesn't address why they don't respond to you. Since it would seem that ex-pats should make a large portion of their target clientele.

Sounds like we need to be fairly cautious with this outfit regardless of how well laid out the website is.

GoneAsiatic
Thanks for the info. I have had credit cards declined for all sorts of reasons. I didn't include "Ave" in my old address, I didn't put my middle initial in on the name blank. They are very tight about that stuff, as you probably know. While that might explain a finicky credit card process, it doesn't address why they don't respond to you. Since it would seem that ex-pats should make a large portion of their target clientele.

Sounds like we need to be fairly cautious with this outfit regardless of how well laid out the website is.

Yes, a slick website does not equate to quality, or honesty; and the miscommunication added to my suspicion, but alas it may be okay after all. It seems I missed the charge placed on my second credit card, just as Jim missed my email inquiry.

Upon making a second inquiry, he responed immediately with the shipping date and said if I did not receive it to let him know and he would duplicate the shipment immediately.

I told him to wait until I receive word from my mail forwarder in the States who will then have to ship it to me. So it looks satisfactory, but it will be a while before I actually receive it. When I do get it, I'll make a report about the quality, etc.

GoneAsiatic
Yes, a slick website does not equate to quality, or honesty; and the miscommunication added to my suspicion, but alas it may be okay after all. It seems I missed the charge placed on my second credit card, just as Jim missed my email inquiry.

Upon making a second inquiry, he responed immediately with the shipping date and said if I did not receive it to let him know and he would duplicate the shipment immediately.

I told him to wait until I receive word from my mail forwarder in the States who will then have to ship it to me. So it looks satisfactory, but it will be a while before I actually receive it. When I do get it, I'll make a report about the quality, etc.

Just wanted to provide some feedback regarding the DVD and CD from this company. I had no trouble with the DVD and was impressed with it from the standpoint of a novice. Since I have little knwoledge of Cebuano, I cannot attest to the accuracy of the lexicon. What little I do know was correct. The DVD has many words, phrases and sentences that would be helpful to a beginner like me.

The CD is actually a CD-ROM which must be installed. On my new computer, I had limited functionality when I installed on the Vista O/S. I was able to resurrect my old computer and then successfully installed it on XP Home version.

Jim was very helpful with support and sugggested a workaround for the Vista problem. I am too much of a technophobe to try it though. He even offered to credit my card if I wanted to ship the CD back to him. I declined because it is too much time and expense involved in doing that.

I don't know if it would suit everybody's tastes (doubtful), but I am personally pleased with the purchase.

Bob Ward
Just wanted to provide some feedback regarding the DVD and CD from this company. I had no trouble with the DVD and was impressed with it from the standpoint of a novice. Since I have little knwoledge of Cebuano, I cannot attest to the accuracy of the lexicon. What little I do know was correct. The DVD has many words, phrases and sentences that would be helpful to a beginner like me.

The CD is actually a CD-ROM which must be installed. On my new computer, I had limited functionality when I installed on the Vista O/S. I was able to resurrect my old computer and then successfully installed it on XP Home version.

Jim was very helpful with support and sugggested a workaround for the Vista problem. I am too much of a technophobe to try it though. He even offered to credit my card if I wanted to ship the CD back to him. I declined because it is too much time and expense involved in doing that.

I don't know if it would suit everybody's tastes (doubtful), but I am personally pleased with the purchase.

The work around Jim referred to is actually quite simple. It's called compatibility mode. Here are the simple steps.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...cf5f101033.mspx

GoneAsiatic

Bob, Thanks for the tip. Jim did give me this instruction (which even I could manage):

Vista operating system has been causing issues. Try this. Right click the cebuano4.exe program in the directory where it was installed. Select Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab. For the compatibility mode, select XP in the dropdown box.

When that did not work, he gave me this response:

We have discovered an incompatibility with Vista. It appears Vista is not fully backward compatible with Windows XP. There may be a work-around which will allow it to run. Other software companies are experience similar problems. I found one example where someone created a web page with a fix for their software, which looks like it should work for the Cebuano software. In our case, the problem is with the mtr4.ocx file not being registered. The example, with the link below has a different filename (Msflxgrd.ocx and a few other files) with a solution to get it working.

Basically the fix is to 1) Disable the user account and then 2) use a dialog box to register the file. The example below is for a software called Silhouette Ballistics, located at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jesse99/Vista.html

If you would like to try it on your machine, please let me know the outcome. You can follow the directions provided in this web page. The difference would be the file you are looking for to register is mtr4.ocx, which is typically located in

C:\Program Files\Cebuano Language Software.

In the meantime, we'll be working on upgrading the software. This will require a whole new re-write with new software, so it will take a while for this upgrade.

If you don't want to keep the Cebuano software, you can return it and we will issue a credit to your credit card. Just let us know.